1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New gun dialing it in

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I just picked up a 90t. I'm going out to night to try and dial it in .What do you think is the best way for 16 and 22 handcap.I have always shot a bt99 with no comb.The 90t has a comb and adjustable but pad.

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Do you still have the BT-99? If so, I'd suggest starting by adjusting the POI on the 90-T so that it is shooting close to what you are used to already. To do this, start by shooting the 99 from sandbag rests at a cross marked on pattern paper at 13 yards. Given a reasonably tight choke, you should have a ragged hole in the paper somewhere near the cross. Next shoot the 90-T the same way, and adjust its comb if necessary to bring those holes to approximately the same relative location as the 99. Hopefully both will be centered left to right, and probably slightly above center. When they are shooting approximately the same on the paper, move with your 90-T to the 16 yard line, station 3, with the trap locked to throw straightaways. Adjust the comb if necessary until you are centering your birds consistently. Try it from 22 yards, with minor adjustments if necessary to center the birds. Lock the comb down, reset the trap to its usual setting, and you should be good to go.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

First thing I think I'd try is to just shoot it. You never know you might get lucky and have it fit to where it shoots where you look. Try not looking at anything than call for bird and shoot. See how you do in a round of 25. If you are not hitting than you can got to setting it up as close as possible to your BT99.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

FWIW....Most Remington 90T's shot a 60/40 pattern, right from the factory, with the beads in a figure 8. The easiest way to dial it in is to set the trap on a straightaway. Shoot 16 yard targets from post 3. If you're smoking them right away, leave it alone. If you are taking the tops out of the targets, lower the comb until you are centering them. If you are taking the bottoms out of the targets, raise the comb until you are centering them.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Research the Trap & Field for Pill Kiner's articles on this subject. He had one article, this year, that talks about raising your POI until you are shooting over the targets. Then working down a 1/16th" until you're smoking targets comfortably. I think his idea of working from a setting too high downward is better than from too low upward. I think it's very valid. Find the article for a better explanation, good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.