1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new gun choice opinions - please be nice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by beagle1, Aug 20, 2013.

1. beagle1

beagle1 Member

Researching a new gun -- budget is flexible but lets go with 3000 to 7000. Probably just an unsingle but maybe a combo or straight O/U. Looking at Browning 725, beretta 692, CG, Zoli, Fabarm o/u.

I really prefer a high rib sporter with regard to feel and handling but will be shooting mostly trap. Will stay with my A400 for sporting clays / skeet. Want adjustable everything so I can adjust for different users in case this goes to the kids down the road. I was thinking I could take an adjustable sporter and set it for a 70/30 POI for trap and still enjoy the sporter fit /feel I'm use to.

Know this will tear up some of you but I couldn't care less what it looks like. I'm strictly a quality, function / fit instinctive shooter. Want best patterns possible. Its got to be high quality.

So with all that, can I get suggestions from those who have in depth intimate knowledge of current choices.

Thanks

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There seems to be a few Berettas combos available in your price range if you look in the for sale section ... They are good guns and will last a quite awhile as long as it is not shot out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Clik on the catagory view and it will separate them for you ...

3. Slickdog

Slickdog TS Member

Beagle1: Just my two cents....

You have a good range for budget so you will have lots of options. I purchased a new KX6 last summer to get me started in Trap. Awesome gun with adj rib, adj comb, and little felt recoil.

Having said that, if I had found a used Alfie, I would have probably purchased it too.

Lots of choices in top single or under singles, but, I own a K80 for sporting and am very pleased with the Krieghoff..

4. Crunch

Crunch Member

If it was just for singles and handicap trap I too would get the Krieghoff KX6. Butt ugly but wow what a target crusher. And, you can adjust it, readjust it and readjust it again.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You need to narrow your choice to one of the three. If you want adjustable everything with a mid or higher rib then Guerini is the only choice especialy if you choose an O/U. All the brands you mentioned make good products, none are junk. I favor Guerini because they are a great value when buying a fully featured gun.

Surfer

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

On the higher end, Alfermann. Mid range a Guerini....

7. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Peazzi MX15

8. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Go with a CG Summit trap Combo it's right in your price range, best gun for the money,then you can play all of the Trap games, they are fully adjustable,great looking, shoots terrific,can take a lot pounding,plus excellent service & warrantee, hard to beat Breakemall ML.

9. Wass

Wass Member

If you want the ultimate in stock adjustability, maybe consider a gun that can have a Precision Fit Stock put on it.

Wass

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Browning XT or XS Special with High Post Rib might be preferable for pure trap gun than the 725. Not sure about the rib configuration of the 725 in trap model, if there is one.

I have the XS Special in 32" barrels, factory adjustable comb. One Allen screw in the butt pad adjusts the comb up and down, and left and right. About $3k new.

Danny

11. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Blaser F3 Super Trap Unsingle (used?)

Dave

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Buy a Ljutic Mono...get it fitted...shoot it forever...

Ron Burr

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would stay on the $3-4K and spend the rest on lessons and shells,,,,,If you are doing well and just want to upgrade, then go with Wass's advice and you can fit it for any grandchild......

14. beagle1

beagle1 Member

Would the disadvantage be that great to get the sporting versions for the fit i'm accustomed too and just adjust the poi up for trap ? Sounds like I need to be looking hard at the CG summit. The KX6 appears interesting too.
    I really am leaning towards a single which I guess would be a trap version. I just want be sure and maintain the balance and feel of sporting versions.
    I'll try them all out again and narrow the focus.

The 692 & 725 aren't available yet with the adjustable features I want but hear they will be coming next year. Sound like they aren't quite the equal to the CG, KX6 & Blaser.

15. beagle1

beagle1 Member

16. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I shoot my XS Special with high post rib for Clays. I could adjust the comb up for a higher POI and shoot trap. It is parallel comb, +/-, so it's a good compromise for all shooting sports.

Danny

17. Ogallala_1

Ogallala_1 Member

I just bought a used CG when I was at the grand it shoots really well. The hidden paycheck was the CG guys I took it in to them while I was at Sparta they did the pitstop check up for FREE on a used gun! Those guys are awesome! I am now selling my beretta, k-gun and any others I am CG for life!

John

18. red hammer

red hammer Member

Go with the new z gun Zoli shotguns are really great call Zoli international and ask for Norbert he will direct you in the right direction.

19. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Walk along a trap line and look in the racks. You'll see as many Guerrini's as any other brand. That should tell you something. $7k will get you a new combo or a top line used combo.

blade819

20. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

The Blaser F3 super trap has an adjustable weight system that would allow you to get the feel or balance of a sporting gun. There is some used O/U out there for around $5000 or a combo would be around $7000.

Search tags for this page
beretta 692 sporting vs browning 725

beretta 692 vs browning 725

browning 725 trap versus beretta 692 trap
browning b725 hr sporter
browning xs special vs 692

fabarm high rib sporter

high rib sporters
zoli z trap versus krieghoff kx6