1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? new gun but, it makes my cheek hurt why?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by creteman, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creteman

creteman TS Member

I am shooting a citori combo 32/34 after I shoot 100 rounds my cheek is sore. My reloads are 7/8s to 1 1/8 it is the same. Would appreciate any advice regarding the situation , shot BT99 plus for a year with no problems and a remington 870. Thanks for any input.

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If I had to venture a guess I would say the gun doesn't fit you. Maybe you are trying to hard to see a figure 8(stacked beads)which of course has nothing to do with shooting scores.

Bob Lawless

3. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Could be a pitch problem. Try experimenting with different pitch by putting some washers at top or bottom of stock. That approach has worked for me in the past. Good luck!

Josh Andersen

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

the pitch should be easy to see if different from the other 2 guns.

Remove the butt pad from the 99 and citori place guns side buy side with the stocks on the floor. I now there is a little difference between the 2 guns BUT a large change in pitch will show. Also look at the comb it self it may be thinner at the place you place your cheek.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The gun doesn't fit... why it doesn't fit is not important unless you are a gun fitter and can correct the problem yourself.

You need to seek out the services of someone who knows how to make guns fit the people who shoot them. Getting advice here makes the givers feel good but it will do very little for you.

MK

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

more than likely if you change the pitch it will help...I often find on guns that I get, I have to change the pitch quite a lot...for me the toe sticks out way too far, so I usually take about 1/4 inch off the toe area of the stock.
    This helps quite a bit. I also either have a soft top comb made for the stock, or use a "Cheek-Eez" soft pad on top of the wood comb. This helps cushion the recoil for me a lot. Good luck.

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

creteman,

What you have posted is a no-brainer and indicates that you probably need professional help. If you can't shoot 100 - 7/8 oz shells without pain, something is definitely wrong. With all of the state trapshoots going on there is usually someone within a few hundred miles that could help.

Ask TS for stock-fitters in your state and see if you can meet up with one of them?

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yain't raisin yer head enuff.

Pitch is the first thing I'd explore. Many possible causes but only one best fix, a fitted stock to your dimensions.

Hap

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

creteman,

As you have gathered form the replies above, your gun probably doesn't fit you OR you are using a poor gun mount or poor weight distribution.

Pitch is the first thing to check but there are a number of other things that also cause "cheek slap." One of several things is happening: You may be applying too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb, tilting your head forward and down to put your cheek on the comb, turning your head too far toward the stock to align your eye with the rib, experiencing excessive barrel rise during recoil (often caused by the wrong pitch) or the butt of your gun may be sliding up on your shoulder during recoil.

There is also a possibility that you are using a low gun mount, which can add to the problem of excessive barrel rise during recoil.

I suggest you fit your gun to allow a correct shooting form (stance, gun mount, body posture, weight distribution) to be used by someone of your size and shape.

Rollin

10. creteman

creteman TS Member

Thanks to all who's replied to the thread. I will take the advise and visit a fitter. Creteman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap gun hurts cheek

why does my cheek hurt while clay shooting