1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New gun " Break in Time "

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by peddler, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peddler

peddler Member

New gun

Just bought a new browning O/U. The action as usual is very very stiff. Is there any way to decress the break in time by using a special lubricant or some other method. It normally takes about 2 to 3 thousand shells for one to loosen up.

Peddler

2. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

New gun

Take it to a gunsmith and have them take off a little metal on the fore-arm iron.

jd

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

New gun

Lube with oil not grease for a while....Bob Dodd

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

New gun

Quality guns ware in. Enjoy it now even if it is a little stiff. Come summer time things will loosen up. I wouldn't suggest removel of any metal unless it is from a accident or factory error. As Bob says use a light oil instead of grease. Years down the road you'll likely be paying someone to tighten it back to factory specks. Good luck.

Post-2

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

New gun

Take some 600 grit wet and dry paper and polish up the wear points on the action. Then lube with some Rem Oil w/teflon. HMB

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

New gun

Part of the perceived stiffness is due to new springs everywhere. If you have the gun five years from now and get the urge to replace the springs, you'll think you are starting all over again with a new gun. Right now, don't worry about it.

7. emm2

emm2 Member

New gun

What POST-2 said

8. peddler

peddler Member

New gun

Thanks guys for the inputs. All of the advise is very helpful

Peddler

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

New gun

Your new O/U shouldn't need a "break-in", like most new Brownings it just wasn't properly fitted at the factory. A few careful file strokes in the proper place will fix it. "Breaking it in" will just wear it out before its time.

John C. Saubak

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

New gun

Agree with Mr. John C. Saubak (and others)- your gun was not properly fitted together at the factory. First question - does the forearm snap into place without forcing it? Second question - are all the forearm screws tight?

Just a warning - Do not attempt to polish any of the bearing surfaces. You cannot maintain the radius already established into the metal.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

New gun

Dab STP or Mobile one on it -- it will be broken in immediately

try it- you will become a believer

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

New gun

DO NOT FILE OR SAND ON YOUR BROWNING. These guns are final hand fitted using lamp black and file method.

Use a good STOS grease on hinge points, receiver knuckle and forend iron.

I don't know WHERE some of these well meaning folks get such bad info. I performed warranty service and repair for Browning for years. Do as you wish. I have given you the correct solution. Browning will not put metal back on that you take off. You do not have a Spanish or Turkish gun!

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

New gun

If they do such a wonderful job, why can't he open the gun easily? HMB

14. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

New gun

HMB: 'cause that's how new Browning O/U's are. My XT took over 25K rounds to loosen up, and that's typical. Seems like half the shooters I know have had an XT and they all do this. Shooting Coach is absolutely right, Peddler. Don't ruin your gun, just oil it & shoot it. It'll loosen up. If you're impatient, you could try Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube, it's got graphite & is messy but it's slippery. Or use some of it plus light sewing machine oil. Or STP or STOS or Mobile-1. Just no sandpaper or files or grinding wheels, OK? Phil E

15. carpk

carpk TS Member

New gun

Peddler,
    there are only two kinds of people that sand or file on metal parts of guns. Fools and gunsmiths

Ken

16. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

New gun

So there you have it - what to do, what to do? I had a friend who had a browning O/U that was extremely hard to open. At the GA, he brought the gun into browning and less than 10 minutes later, the gun was back in his hands, and opened nicely. No charge - they did shave down the forearm hanger iron. If you only shoot the gun for doubles, it takes a long long time to get 25,000 rounds. If you shoot the gun for everything, it still takes a long time to shoot 25k shells. That seems far too long when a simple (ten minute) solution is available.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

New gun

It takes less than 1 min to put stp or mobile one on the gun- hinge pins- and forearm iron

It will nearly drop open

try it-- seriously

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- that is 9 mins less than taking it to Browning-- and you save a lot of metal which might equate to a longer life

PPS - I have done this at ranges with disbelievers- they are believers now

18. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

New gun

Shoot it with the choke half on for awhile....see outboard thread!

Steve

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

New gun

Mobil 1 is great lube, also if you know any engine builders ask for a sample of their pre assembly lube. This stuff stays put and is slick. Also slick 50 is very slick also. Gene is right. My XT was purchased used and still a bit stiff. I eventually ran out of the small tub of grease that game with the gun. I grabed some slick 50. worked great. I now use mobil 1. I use a small serynge filled with a medium needle for accurate placement. Trust me tight is good before long you might have a thread "where do I send to have it tightened up"

20. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

New gun

I bought my Citori in 2000, it was a used gun (NP ser#). Gun had assembly issues. Tightened forearm hardware - problem did not go away. Forearm would not easily snap onto the barrel - had to force it. Removed a touch of metal from the back of the forearm hanger. No more forcing the gun together and it was easier to open.

I have probably shot 40 to 50,000 shells out of that gun. I fitted a new locking block in it yesterday. The gun is still tight - but not unpleasantly so. It does not fall open but does not have to be forced together either. So easing up the forearm pressure has not had a negative effect on my gun.

The forearm should not be so tight as to prevent easy assembly or make opening the action a real effort. Lube cannot create clearance. But if you decide to remove metal from the back of the forearm hanger, remember that metal is soft. Do not go crazy. Go slow and try fit - try fit - try fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.