1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Green Dot User

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Highrise, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

After a long time with WST I am moving to Green Dot. I have been through all the manuals, but want your opion.
    I am looking for a Hcap load with AA and STS,(currently using Remington RXP wads, and winny 209 primers but open to sugesstions).
    I also see that you cant load both hulls with the same (exact) load, so how are you guys handling that as I am sure that like me,most have a supply of both.
    Thanks in advance.

2. T/T

T/T Member

I too am new to Green Dot. I shot Clay's but after trying a friend's load with GD I switched. I load Remington hulls with Winchester Primers, fig. 8 wads and 19.5 grains of GD with 11/8 oz -71/2 shot. This splits the manual's receipt of 19 or 20 grains with these components..I find them plenty fast and they hammer the targets. I had several of the guys at the club try this load with everyone saying how little recoil they felt. My only complaint; it sure doesn't burn as clean as Clay's.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Highrise:

T/T is spot on. Switch to Fig 8 wads and Green Dot data for STS/NITRO and AA's overlaps. Keep in mind the upper limit for Rem hulls is 20 grains. OTOH, Alliant has tested data up to 22.0 grains for AA hulls.

20.0 grains in either hull will break any target you have the skills to correctly point.

sissy

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Windjammer wads and 18.5 grains of Green Dot will work in both hulls and break 27 yard targets with ease. My favorite load.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Depends upon where you boys live. If you, and your shells, are gonna be experiencing sub freezing temps, expect bloopers with Green Dot. Another choice, with similar load data & about the same price, is American Select. It is MUCH cleaner and in my opinion a terrific HCP powder at just a touch under 20gr with Downrange's great new Fig8/Windjammer wad. ~19.2 for singles.

best...mike

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I like green dot. It does run dirtier than my favorite titegroup. If you run all Remington components (fig8, r209) you can build a full throttle load. It performs very well in SoCal. I wouldn't know about cold weather:)

7. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I use the same load for every hull with no problems
    AA,STS,Nitro,GunClubs
    I have sent the data at times to Alliant and the tell me they are a safe load
    18.5-19 grains of Green dot
    1oz pink claybuster wad
    either Fiocchi or Winchester primers
    1oz shot.
    this is about a 1145 load......
    Ron

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shoot night league as low 20 degrees sometimes and never had any bloopers. 20 gr with a F-8 wad, AA primer.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

20.5 GD Cheddite primer Claybuster orange AA replacement wad, one once #8's shot, AA or STS hull. Very fast from anywhere.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I use 19.5 grains GD, AA or Nitro hull, 1 oz. shot, Green Duster wad, Win 209.

This load produces the best patterns out of my gun over any powder I've tried. It also chronos with a lower Standard Deviation than factory Gun Clubs, or AA Targets.

I've never had a problem using GD in cold weather, but I don't shoot below 20 degrees, and always use Win primers.

Wayne

11. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Wayne,
    I'd be interested in knowing what velocity that load Chronos at.
    Thanks, Brian

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I use the same load but use 20 gr. of Green Dot. Use the same 20 gr. for 1 oz. with tgt wads. The powder is dirty though. I still almost prefer Red Dot, and accept the punishment. Jon

13. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I am like Ron-oh and use 19gr. in my 1oz. loads for mid-range handicap and use 20gr. in my 1 1/8 oz. loads for any shooting 24yds and beyond.

With both fig.8 wads they seem to load easy and pattern well.

14. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

21 gr. GD rxp 1 1/8, win. primer, nitro hull. Good 22 yrd and back.

15. cfchief

cfchief Member

highrise as you can see everyone is close runnin 20 grains of GD mine is 20 grains , cheddite primer and either windjammers or wt12 orange

16. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Not telling you what to use,,
    but for years I have used 19.0 with a jammer and fiocchi primer, winchester or remington hull,
    In a gold medal hull a 12S3 clone amd 19.5.

dirty powder?? any time you shoot its dirty, Swab the bore with a tico tool

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Brian, been shooting all day.

That load you're asking about, has an average velocity of 1233 fps. And a standard deviation of 8.9. By far the best between factory Gun Clubs, AA, and STS loads. We were using a Pro Chrony Digital, 5' away from the first pick-up on a cloudy day. BT-99 with a Carlson's extended IM choke off of a bench.

I have no idea how accurate the fps. is, we had no backup. What we were trying to see what loads were the most consistent. We also did Red Dot, 700X, and PB. The Green Dot with Win 209 primers and Green Dusters was by far the best. JMO

Wayne

18. lance howard

lance howard Member

I just got my pressure and velocity test results back from Tom Armbrust testing. I sent him several lods of different types. The STS that I use for handicap is a Fiocci 616 primer 20.8 grs Green dot, DR F8 copy of the Rem fig 8 wad, 1-1/8 8 West Coast shot. My chrony tests ( Oehler 35 ) showed 1219 to 1246, Tom,s tests showed 1226 to 1241. Pressure PSI was 8600-9100 Decent load, breaks targets from 27 well if I do my part. I also sent some Gun clubs with Rem primers and 16,4 700X, TGT12 wad, 1 oz shot. Velocity varied by as much as 56 FPS shot to shot. Pressure 6600 average. Estate case, 17.5 Grs 700x, DR 12SO wad, 1 oz shot. Primers were Fiocci, Win 209, Noble 209. The best load was with the Fiocci primer, average velocity 1160, pressure 5700, the Win primer loads averaged 1167 with 6300 PSI, The Nobles were 1147 with 5500 PSI. The max velocity spread with the Fiocci primer was 4 fps. Thats right 4. The Win 209 spread was only 6 and the Noble was 11. Good luck to you and just keep shooting. Lance Howard

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Great info Lance, thanks.

Wayne

20. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Federal Gold Medal Hulls, Federal Primer, 12SO wad (clone), 19.5 grains of Green Dot, 1 oz. of Hard Magnum shot......seems to work for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tom armbrust green dot powder