1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Federal smooth wall stuck in barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by atashtr, Aug 31, 2013.

1. atashtr

atashtr Member

New federal smooth wall haul stuck in barrel last night
    atashtr_2008_0303_124.jpg

2. August1940

August1940 Active Member

That sucks!!

I have a few smooth reloads that I am going to shoot and then throw away. I shot one box of them and no problems, so after this box no more smooth ones for me.

I reloaded them before I heard about the smooth ones being prone to separating.

I made a tool out of a hard wood dowel, and turned it down on my lathe. It is very close to an interference fit in the barrel, and hopefully it will work to drive the hull out towards the chamber without slipping inside of the hull before the hull gets pushed out.

How did you get yours cleared??

August

3. atashtr

atashtr Member

Took a exacts knife and slit hull and then used long screwdriver to pry lose.

4. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

yeah - they are a PIA when they get stuck. I ground down (on an angle) the handle end of a steel golf shaft. The sharp chisel point was able to dig in and cut into the stuck shell. After a while it loosens up and breaks free.

5. MTLongshot

MTLongshot Member

exact same thing happened to me no more of those junk hulls for me free much less paying top dollar for them. I just through out 300 rather than selling them to some other unsuspecting sucker the way I got them.

6. bricky10

bricky10 Member

Are these the Federals that say Top Gun on them?

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

No, the smooth hulls were the "Premium" brand, the hull design was changed back to the ribbed type hulls a couple of years ago.

Curt

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Top Gun hulls, which are the same as Estate and the Wally World Federal hulls, are ribbed and tough as nails. However, they do have a paper base wad that some shooters dislike. I know some "games" shooters who load the Top Gun hulls with up to 1 1/2 oz of shot because they have a large capacity and seem to have less recoil than the AA and STS hulls. Yes, with 1 1/2 oz. of shot they kick but if you load 5's or 6's at around 1100 fps, the recoil is manageable and larger shot retains its velocity better than small shot.

The "smoothies" referenced here have brass heads and are marked "Gold Medal" and were Federal's premium shell. They were discontinued about 3 years ago and replaced with ribbed hulls. The Federal ribbed hull is my favorite.

I have shot thousands of the "smoothies" and reloaded some many, many times without a problem. Yet others have reported the hull separation problem for several years.

If I had a gun in which a Federal "smoothie" separated, I would never fire another "smoothie" in it. A Federal rep at the Grand told me that some chambers are slightly larger than others and this is where the problem occurs. This may be complete BS but both the Gold Medal "smoothies" and the ribbed Gold Medals shoot fine in my Remington 870's, 1100's and 11/87's.

Ed Ward

9. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I shot some a few years ago and had one separate, tried everything
    I asked on here and got the best answer ever. It worked perfectly.
    Take 3 dines drop down from the top barrel, then a wooded dowel
    and tap it right out. Works every time.
    I had to do it for a friend two weeks ago. Then I told him to STOP shooting
    Them.

Thx Bill

10. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

This only works if you get back home with it ,but take a blow dryer or heat gun and heat the stuck hull from the chamber end then let it cool will fall right out.Jerry

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I recall they were discontinued years ago....

12. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I had a guy tell me you can drop a 28 gauge hull down the end of the barrel and drive the stuck hull out with it. I haven't tried it . use a fired hull. Let us know if it works

13. 27-T

27-T Member

Were those of you who had the separation problem per chance reloading them on a MEC reloader? Had some friends experiencing the separation and they were loading them on a MEC with the collet sizer. I've reloaded many, many of them on a P-W with the full length resizer and have had no problems. I'm wondering if the problem is initiated with the style of re-sizing. Just a thought!

14. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

27-T:

Mine happened after being loaded on a Spolar. Had two of them, the first exited my barrel like Big-C described.

But, the second one didn't exit and was a real mess.

Never again.

Bob

15. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

What is a "Federal smooth wall"?

16. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

lefthdr: Geez that's friggin' funny! I can't stop LMAO - good one!