1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Federal Christmas tree tax?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by mrskeet410, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What's worse than a Federal Christmas tree tax?

IMHO it's a Federal Government that thinks it is somehow their obligation to promote the Christmas tree industry. I smell crony capitalism.

This from the Chicago Tribune -

— The Christmas tree ad wars are about to heat up, albeit in a rather jolly way.

...Following an extended debate that pit one region against another, the Agriculture Department on Tuesday gave the green light to a new industry-funded Christmas tree promotion program...

...Akin to similar programs that promote milk, beef and cotton, the Christmas tree program will impose on U.S. domestic producers and importers an initial fee of 15 cents per tree.

A 12-member board will direct the money to generic ads and other promotions, as well as research. The promotions, according to the USDA, will present "a favorable image of Christmas trees to the general public," with the intent of improving the public "perception" of Christmas trees and, hence, their sales...

www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-1109-christmas-tree-wars-20111109,0,2983619.story

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Fair Warning - I'm not familiar with the source. If I can find something from a known source I post it. Nothing at Snopes.com at this time.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You might want to check the Onion. And the "death of common sense" thread here too.

Neil

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So now, after already having signed contracts for the trees, my mother-in-law has to come up with $750 to pay an Obama tax on her trees without warning? Well, there goes much of her profit, which is used to supplement her Social Security.

Zero the Clown is doing everything he can to destroy this economy.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well somebody has to pay Brian. Why not make it the people just trying to get by. That seems to be a trend of this joker we have in office. Isn't it about time for him to threaten our senior citizens on SS again? You know the people that worked their whole life and at retirement time they are told there may not be any money. This from the same joker taking multi-million dollar vacations on our dime. The same one giving his staff huge raises when he also claims there is no money.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's unconstitutional, separation of church and state. HMB

7. culverken

culverken Member

As someone who is close to the industry I can tell you that these farmers grow and work these trees for years and years to hopefully make $2-3 per tree profit. A lot of work for a very small reward. Not a lot of room to start paying the gov. more money for every tree they grow.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Drudge Report and ABC News are reporting the X-mas tree tax proposal has been dropped. What is not said is if the proposed Christmas Tree Promotion Board that was to be funded by the tax has been dropped. And if not, how will it be funded? From general revenues? Borrowing from China? Printing money?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/obama-administration-to-delay-new-15-cent-christmas-tree-fee/

9. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Oh no, this means my neighbor will undoubtedly have another tree stolen from his yard this year. Man he took it so badly last year. Do they make a battery powered chain saw?

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

So what could the govt. tax that would directly influence an Islamic holiday?

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

When I was young on the farm I belonged to the 4-H club. One year I signed up for 1000 red pine seedlings and we planted them in a piece of worthless land next to a swamp. The next year I got 1000 spruce and we planted them next to the pines. When they got about 4 ft tall someone started thinning them out. We got some cans of spray paint and painted them orange and black and white. We still lost some but we found some of them beside the road after Christmas and we sent the sheriff to speak to them. Turned out one person was selling them. He got a good warning and we did not lose many after that.

ctreay

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

After it was brought to their attention that this tax would affect Christians ONLY they have put this on hold and babbled some BS excuse
    about it being something that would "fund a program designed to benefit the industry and would not have any impact on the final price consumers pay for trees."

How stupid do we all look???? Of course it will be paid by the consumer....everything is.

2 years ago he levied a tax against white people only. The tanning bed tax. No brothers or mexicans working on their tans.

The time is near for a ground swell of angry voters to redirect this country and run this trash out of town.

13. Brian in Oregon

Zero the Clown sure backed off of this like a scalded cat after the fecal matter impacted the oscillating air movement device blades.

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

"You're as cuddly as a cactus,

As slimy as an eel, Mr. Obama....

- You're a really rotten banana - with a greasy brown peel!"

15. Brian in Oregon

LOL, it was just pure genius to have Boris Karloff narrate and sing The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

Now we have a real Grinch in the White House.

16. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Nok,

How about a sales and use tax on prayer rugs?

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

And head rags............

18. Brian in Oregon

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Now how will we pay for the Christmas Tree Promotion Board?

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'll personally contribute to the Christmas Tree Promotion Board as soon as Old Navy, Banana Republic and the Gap start using the words "Merry Christmas" instead of "the holiday season".

Don't ever buy anything at these places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.