1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Estate Hull with plastic insert?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I came across an Estate hull that I have never seen before. Instead of having the fiber basewad, it had a plastic base wad, much like the current Winchester AA and Universal brands. It also had what appeared to be a brass base instead of steel, but I did not put a magnet on to check.

I cut it open and it was the same thin, straight wall (no taper) plastic as the Estate with fibre base wad we are all use to seeing. The shell did not have any markings as to shot size, dram or oz loading, but it definetly had the Estate logo on it. The base bottom had USA markings and a bunch of stars.

Is this something new or do I not get out enough? I asked a few club members if they had ever seen it before and none of them had. I did not think to bring it home with me and put a picture on this site, but I wish I had.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Some years ago, the hulls were Cheddite style hulls. They had the usual "stars" on the case head and a plastic basewad. Federal obtained the Estate Cartridge Company and manufactured these shells using the Plastic Hi-Power tube and rolled paper basewad design. You might have seen one of the older cheddite hulls.

3. TC

TC TS Member

Quack Shot is correct, the Texas Estate's had the plastic base wad. When Federal bought out the Texas company they changed to a fiber base wad. I have a barrel full of the plastic base wad hulls in the barn.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Okay, so what I saw was something old (original)not new. Someone must have had a bunch of new shells stashed away and decided to shoot them. Thanks much for the info. I knew the story of Federals purchase of Estate, but did not know that the original shell was different than the current one.

Sounds like Federal bought the competition, dropped the product and reused the name on their own proven product line. It happens.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The old Cheddite hulls load great. Load 'em once and toss 'em.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You got a bunch of the old Texas Estates - Cheddite hulls. They re-load just fine, but finer still if you use Federal-type wads.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

estate hulls with plastic basewad

estate hulls with stars chedd

do estate shotgun shells have a plastic basewad

estate hulls with plastic base

estate hulls with plastic basewad

estate plastic base hull steel load