1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New England Travel Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GPer, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GPer

GPer TS Member

Friends,

After 37 years of attending car, shooting, motorcycle, golf and other related events my long suffering wife has prevailed on me to go "Leaf Peeping"!

Now i'm sure I can take 10 days of nearly anything after 37 years, but just in case the antique stores, quilt shops and lovely autumn leaves fail to hold 100% of my interest....

I'm looking for some suggestions for places of interest, activities etc that I might suggest for us (and not receive the "malocchio" in return).

Our route is from Hartford to Rhinebeck, NY to Lenox, Ma to Woodstock, VT then Waterbury, VT. A couple of days in each place. We have accomodations all along the route. We travel the last week of September through the 1st week of October.

Any thoughts would be appreciated from an old desert rat from Arizona. And apologies in advance if your a local stuck behind a Suburban full of folks with real good tans, slowing you down.

Thanks
    Mike

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Well Mike....the peak foliage along the route you have described occurs during the first two weeks of October. So here goes...while in Stowe Vt make sure you drive thru Smugglers Notch, visit the Von Trapp family lodge, and stop for the Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory. Travel south along Route 100 is a must, until you hit US Route 4, visit Killington Mtn ski area and if weather permits take a chair lift ride to the Top. Route 4 easterly to Woodstock....visit the Billings farm and the adjoining Rockerfeller Estate, some great dining in Woodstock. You might want to make a 20 min trip to downtown Hanover, NH while stopping at the Quechee Gorge and then visit Dartmouth College. PM me and I would be glad to send you a marked-up Vermont map. I have lived all my 60 Years in the Vt locations you've described. Bkt

3. ramen39

ramen39 Member

If near Arlington Vt. you might want to stop in at the Orvis store. They also have an outlet storre there. They have some nice stuff for A shooter and your wife can surely find something there also. Kind of pricey, but good stuff.
    Will be going that way myself in that time frame. Just love that area. The leaf peeping is spectactular also. Just beautiful country.

4. JEB

JEB Active Member

Great advice from BKT. That's my old neck of the woods but now living in Prescott AZ. Definitely go from Woodstock through Quechee Gorge to Hanover, NH. It is one of the most picturesque college towns in the country. Stop in at Simon Pearce Glass Shop along the way. Your wife will love Woodstock also.

JEB

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

interreesting thread. I am sitting here planning the same trip from cleveland around the exact same weeks. any place to shoot along the way???? maybe protectors or oakleys during the week.
    last week of sept or first couple of days in october. motordoctor.

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If you are in Lenox, MA, stop by Wheatleigh. Website above. Beautiful views of the Berkshire Mountains and good food. You can even stay there if you wish.

Built as a wedding present by the bride's father, it was formerly the home to a Spanish Count and his wife, until they both passed away. It was their summer home. Frederick Law Olmsted, the landscape architect who designed Central Park in New York, was responsible for creating “Wheatleigh Park” on the land surrounding the palazzo.

A few years ago it was renovated by a Chicago couple into a beautiful hotel.

Gene in Illinois

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Mike,

Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, MA...along with Norman Rockwell museum...the Prime
    steak house in Lenox, MA. Wing's castle in Millbrook, NY (go on line and check out the short documentary on it.)

8. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

If a person couldn't make it until the second week in October, would they be too late this year? I grew up in Western New York but left over 50 years ago. Ron

9. JEB

JEB Active Member

In central VT/NH trees peak around Oct 10th give or take a little. Further north along the Canadian border it can be as early as the last week in September. In the Berkshires, Lenox etc., maybe the second to third week in Oct. Another interesting town is Old Deerfield MA. They have recreated an early 1700's frontier village and site of an Indian massacre. Well done and not commercial. It is an hour or so east of Lenox.
    JEB

10. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I gave the wrong town for Orvis. Its Manchester. Arlington is close.
    Another interesting place is Freeport Maine if you get over to the coast. LL Bean is there.

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

A visit to Mount Washington in N.H. should be in order! It is well worth the extra drive. We have done it twice .... once with absolutely great weather, and once with absolutely horrible weather. I do not reccomend the horrible weather climb as I will never do that again!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

12. GPer

GPer TS Member

Wow

Thanks guys! I knew I would get some help here.

Mike

13. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Forgot to tell you that Wing's castle in Millbrook is a B & B too. Check out the video on the net, could be one of the most unusual-interesting places you could go. I went to school with the creator, he is probably the most creative artist I've known. Peter Wing is the guy's name. Jeff Philipbar/puablo

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

This thread is making me want to go there!

15. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I heard that it is great sport in New England to give tourists wrong directions!

jmac

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Mike......I know Vt and NH like the back of my hand. Lived here all of my life, and was involved in Heavy Highway construction for 25 years. If all else fails, from Stowe, Vt in the north, or Massachusets from the south, either way keep it simple and follow RTE 100, it is the spine/backbone of the State of Vermont! Can't go wrong weather permiting, and you can fill in the side routes/trip off from RTE 100. Have fun!! bkt

17. arend003

arend003 Member

If you make it to Orvis you might also want to stop in at covey and Nye. Some of the most expensive and beautiful shotguns I have ever seen. All suggestions have been great It is a pretty country.
    Tom in Shaftsbury

18. donegal shooter

donegal shooter Member

On Rt.100 in Vt.in the town of Weston is the Vermont country Store.Well worth a stop, with everything from their catalog in the store.Nearby down Rt.11 in the nice town of Chester Vt.is the Country Girl Diner.If you like good diner food it's one of the best.

Slainte,Scott

19. toolguy

toolguy Member

Motordoctor & any others looking for a place to shoot,

The Montpelier Gun Club in Berlin, VT will be hosting a National Trapshooting Day event on October 7th. Standard one day 300 bird event; 100 each singles, handicap, & doubles. Campers stay free, (full hookups); food vendor will be serving breakfast and lunch. From the junction of Routes 2 & 302, go east on Rt 2 approximately 1/2 mile and turn right onto Marvin Rd (across from the school bus depot), take first right onto Goodnow Rd and proceed to club entrance on right. Program starts at 9:30 AM. Hope to see you all there!!!

Regards,

Don Whiton

Montpelier Gun Club

20. revbook

revbook Member

I love Vermont...there I said it. On our first visit my wife and I left Rutland, VT to drive to New Hampshire and wondered what we could do along the way. Seven hours later, after stopping yet again, we were pulling back out onto the road and saw a sign that read "Rutland 35 miles". It had taken us 7 hours to go 20 miles, yes there was plenty to see. Killington was worth the stop, Ben and Jerrys, Vermont Teddy Bear, Vermont Country Store and Cabot cheese were all great. I am a Vermont junkie....can't get enough.

Don in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.