1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New England Stops?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pre-64, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

We'll be traveling to New England later this month i.e., Ma, Ct, Vt, NH, Me, NY.
    Where are the "You Gotta Stop and see this place!" Gun stores, factories, Ranges?
    Any help/ guidance is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    J.C.

2. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

Just over the NH border in Kittery Main is the Kittery Trading Post would be worth a look?
    And the strip of road outside is full of outlet stores if the wife happens to be with you?

John

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Sig Sauer Academy in Epping N.H. (Southeast N.H.) has a great Pro Shop .... and awesome courses available .... and great firearms purchase discounts when you take a course!!!! All Federal laws apply to Sales .... know your FFL for shipping.

YES Kittery Trading Post!!

4. higun

higun Member

J.C.

When you're done at Kittery jump on the Maine Turnpike and head north. Get off at exit 42 and turn left at the first light, go 1 mile and turn left at the next light, go 1 mile and turn right onto Fish & Game Lane. You will figure it out from there.

You will have found Scarborough Fish & Game. We shoot trap on Thursday evenings from 4 until 8 and on Saturday & Sunday from 9 until 2.

You won't be disappointed!

5. wrd

wrd Member

KIttery Trading Post, Kittery, Me. Most definitely. Used to live 1/2 hour form there. Moved to N.C. What a fool.

6. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Active Member

Savage does a tour in Westfield Ma and I think Smith and Wesson does as well over in Springfield. (Call to Check) If you are into the history the neighborhood is a bit run down but the Original Colt factory is mostly still standing in Hartford. Cool to see what Sam Built even if the current state government won't admit to riding on the coat tails of the great Sixgun maker.
    I do not think they do tours at the new colt plant.

Galzan in New Britain is worth a look if you are into the higher priced market. There is always something nice at the gun room there.

If you want a nice stop on 95 that is not related directly to the gun industry the Mystic Seaport is right on the border of RI and worth a visit for the maritime history.

7. Vertas

Vertas TS Member

Don't bother to stop anywhere in Connecticut, everybody's leaving and there's nothing to see here.

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I would suggest a trip along Vermont's Route 100 that cuts the center of Vermont in half! Also, a trip thru the Mt. Washington Valley of New Hampshire, US Routes #2 and #302, travelling easterly to the Maine coast.

I have done roads, bridges and paving in both of these states for most of my working life........two good spots!!

9. sabretooth

sabretooth Member

Visit David Trevallion, at #9 Old Mountain Road, Off Route 1 South,in Maine, Near Flo's hot dogs. He used to be stocker for Purdey before moving to USA. I would guess he is the single most knowledgeable person regarding shotguns. He Co-wrote the book "Shotgun Technicana" with the late Michael McIntosh. He has probably forgotten more about shotguns than most of us will ever learn in a lifetime AND hes has the working skills of a virtuoso. His last #was 207-361-1130.
    Good luck with your trip.

10. Pre-64

I truly appreciate the advice...I hope to see 'em all.....
    Again,
    Thanks,
    J.C.

11. jerryr1

jerryr1 TS Member

Springfield Armory, Springfield Ma. off of 91 south of Hartford...
    Worth the side trip if your near there...Was the main builder of service weapons into the 60's..

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

How much time will you have?

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The folks at South Berwick GC are real nice, there is a great Bed & Breakfast in south Berwick called the Acadamy Street Inn. My wife and I stayed there this past July and could not have been more pleased.

Bob schultz

14. Pre-64

we'll be in NE the 18th - 28th

15. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

Stay away from NY. The emperor doesn't deserve you hard earned dollars spent on your trip. I should know, I live in this hell hole. As for Connecticut, try the Hartford gun club. I always shoot the state shoot there and couldn't be happier with their club.

Chris