1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW DSLR camera pic shot mid air

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kevboz, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

Here is a pic I took with my new digital SLR. My first day with it on the skeet range. This was a high house from station 7. Notice the shot in the air before it hits the target. Very cool. Took about 80 shots to get one where I actually saw the pellets in mid air.

I'll post more in a few days. Love the new camera!

Kevin

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ok ... so you hit the low house bird on the double but it looks like your low on the high house bird but might have gotten it with the edge of the pattern, nice picture though. Thanks for sharing.

3. oz

oz Active Member

don't see the shot in the air. the shot is long gone as the target is already chipped on the bottom. I do see the wad though? oz

4. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Nice picture - but PLEASE resize from now on...I was scrolling all around the screen trying to find where the 'main attraction' was. :)

BTW - what are you shooting with? I'm a photo nut getting into trap...so if you need some equip help (at least on the Canon side) I can certainly help out...since I've only ~35 different lenses, including most teles, a bunch of wides, a few mid-range, as well as a bunch of primes and a coupla cameras (20D, reb xt, reb, 1d2).

-Kyle

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

OZ ... I can tell by the picture and where the barrel is pointing that what you saw is the low house bird on station 7 ... scroll to the right and you will see the high house bird as well and what he is proud of.

It looks like it is not a good shot though ... most of his pattern is going to miss the bird. If he was a really good cameraman and a really good shot he could have shot the low house and swung the gun back to the high house and catch the low house bird inkspotted and shattered while the high house shot pattern is to the left of the POOF and dead center on the high house bird but ... well ... he needs more practice to do that.

6. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

Video clip (aove) of shot hiting target in slo mo. 1-2 mb or so...slow download.

Play it a few times and you can see the parabolic the shot takes to the target.

Mike T.

7. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

And a animated gif file of a shot at a target. Watch it a few times and you can see the shot leave the barrel and whack the target. Also see the bicyclist in the background!

8. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

Trucido,

This was with a canon Rebel xti
    shutter speed was 1/2000 @ F4. wasn't a super bright day so I had the ISO up to like 800 so I could get a fast shutter speed. NExt sunny day I'll try to get one @ 1/4000 to really get a nice freeze frame. That was me shooting and my friend taking the shot.
    the lens in a canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    You have 35 lens?? Jesus man. that's crazy... you do it at a hobby or is it your profession.

and to Lumper it was a good shot.... the next frame was a nice ink ball. gotta remember that pattern is going out and away. Because the camera is off the to the side it makes it look like it was below. So thanks for saying I'm a bad cameraman and a bad shot. I supposed you are better and can take the photo and shoot the target by yourself. That would be quite amazing.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Excuse me but where did I say you were a bad shot and that you were a bad cameraman? Geez ... we're a little testy this morning aint we?

10. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

"If he was a really good cameraman and a really good shot"

Just quoting you.. maybe a little testy. Sorry about that.Just seems like the last two days I've been dealing with complete morons at my office and on the trap/skeet range. sorry if I sound testy.

I'll post my experience this weekend on the skeet range a little later on as a new thread to get everyones insight on it.

11. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

A shutter speed of 1/2000 is fast enough. Shutting the aperature down for greater depth of field helps with the focus. Setting up for the shot without moving the camera really makes things simpler as far as getting things in focus, but the timing on a crosser is a killer without moving the camera. Turn off the auto focus, focus at target distance, don't move the camera any more than you have to and get lucky. I took thousands of them last summer and got lucky a few times. Can't beat Photo Shop for playing with contrast and brightness to help define the shot.
    Dave

12. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

Yeah this was the first day out with it. The puller had the button in one hand and the camera in the other. gonna get a tripod next time

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Man,look at the hole in that pattern ..! WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

WPT ... Holy pattern? Ah crud ... nobody said it was a priest who was doing the shootin!

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Interesting picture. Top to bottom is that the target, wad and then a tight concentration of shot?

16. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

Hard to tell. I think maybe target, shot then wad..(top to bottom) looks like the wad beginning to expand. It was a close shot and the shot is maybe 15-20 feet on front of me if that..

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Looking closer, I guess you are right.

18. skip

skip Member

Also very interesting is the flight path of the wad.

It curves to the left from the barrel swing to the right. I wonder if the shot string acts the same?

Great pictures!

Thanks for sharing with us.

19. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Thanks for making me clean the screen on my laptop. Now I see it.

20. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

haha.. You're welcome. I totally love the new camera. I hope to get much better with it. I was shocked by how well that one turned out on the first day. Imaging when I actually learn how to use it properly. haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.