1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Downrange vs Claybuster (pic)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Which of the 2 wads is a closer duplicate of the genuine WAA12-SL?

Mike

2. folothru

folothru Member

the one on the left looks like a 1 1/8 wad . there is a DRXL-1 or JXL-1
    FROM DOWN RANGE , i shoot the jxl-1 from downrange because you can load it in a double a case without tearing up the gas skirt, so you should get a better gas seal. also you will have better luck with the jx wad in larger diameter cases because the plastic is softer so it will seal with less powder, less recoil, more consistant velocity............

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had no problem loading the new Downrange wads in AA hulls using Claydot powder. They cripped just as nice as when I use Downranges Jammer XL 1.

4. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

The wad on the left appears to be a new style WAA12SL (AA-pink) or its buster clone. They are considerably longer than the original from Wincheater, and have a reduced powder cup to mate up with the current Winchester HS hulls, as is evidenced in the photo. Nice photo by the way.

The wad on the right is a Downrange DRA-12-Pink. It is, as was the original from Wincheater, a little shorter in length, and has a larger overpowder cup.

Some folks may note here that it is almost exactly like a green duster, almost.

For all of us who reload, the Downrange DRA-12-Pink is of the correct dimension for reloading with the popular commercially available powders. If you are in the factory at Winchestr you would use the newer long style WAA12SL because of the low density powders used in current AA production in HS hulls, and which is not available to consumers.

The longer wads require a little wad pressure to pre-load and seat them. The DRA-12_pink requires no wad pressure and wont exhibit the tendency to pop open crimps in while in storage.

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I put a CB, Downrange, and a Green Duster next to each other. The Greenduster is exactly in the middle of the CB and the Downrange as far as height. I had to screw the spindex down a bit to get good loads with the Duster. Now that it is set, I love the Dusters. The shell is shorter a bit, but it loads very smooth. I will sample the Downrange wad as I too received the 25 samples. I just don't want to have to change the loader again but, 25 wags are 25 wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.