1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Double A Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hinkton, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hinkton

Hinkton TS Member

Is anyone out there having trouble with the final crimp on the new double A hulls? The center of the hull leaves a hole where shot will leak out. I have adjusted my machine several ways to correct this problem to no avail.I have a P&W machine.
    THANK YOU
    Hank

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Lower your starter crimp die a little at a time until the hole is gone. Final crimp should be about 1/16" deep, but not more. The AA's will vary in length so you may still see a small hole occasionaly.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

the few factory red aa i have loaded with 1 oz. all have a tiny hole in the center.

bill

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

A tiny hole is not abnormal. AA petals don't generally squish together like a Rem.

5. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

My Mec Grabber would not load the new Win AA's with out a hole in the crimp or crushing the side of the hull. When I started using 1-1/8 oz wads to load 1 oz loads the hole in the crimp problem went away. I also load 7/8 oz loads with the Win 1 oz pink wad and 3/4 oz loads wth the Downrange XXL 7/8 oz pink wad with no problems.

6. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I had the same problem when I started loading the new AA's on the same machine that I loaded the old AA's. Lower the starter crimp and you will close up the hole. Tim

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Old Fowler, you don't need much wad pressure. The pressure won't remain after the handle is raised anyway. The final crimp will determine wad pressure.

8. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

My best success with the new style AA hull was to load with zero wad pressure. I loaded over 11,000 this way using downrange xl-1 wads and a 1 oz. load. No problems except for a few getting crushed on the sides every 1,000 or so.

However, I have finally given up on loading the AA hulls and will be loading remington sts or golds from now on. I have only ever loaded about 1500 of these, but have never had any problems and the crimp ALWAYS closes correctly and looks much more uniform.

Mr. Mark

9. Hinkton

Hinkton TS Member

Thanks for all the info. on the double A hulls.
    Hank

10. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Hank,

I had the same problem as you when loading the new-style AA hulls. Tried everything until a friend told me about lowering the pre-crimp stage and that fixed the problem I have an older 800C that has been upgraded to basically the same as a 880+, and the way I ended up fixing it was placing a dime under the shaft on the pre-crimp stage. I thought I had the set screw locked down enough, but maybe it moved a little under work, so the dime was a perfect fix (at least for me and my machine). Work it down slowly til the hole closes up.

Good luck and good shootin',
    Mike Hessong
    Victoria Skeet and Trap Club

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.