1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New "Dick's Sporting Goods" here - Not impressed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    New "Dick

A Dick's just opened up here, replacing another sporting chain that went out of business (Joe's, formerly GI Joe's).

Not impressed.

Very yuppie-ish, and a very disappointing hunting department as far as selection goes. A goodly amount of their rifles were single shot NEF style, though they did have one Rem R15 and an R25. Noticeably lacking were Remington 1187s.

Their ammunition supply was especially disappointing. No hunting 223 ammo at all. Everything was FMJ. While they had piles of slugs and buckshot, it was all Remington, and no #4 buck. It was deer hunting fodder, and from the amount they must be going off a formula for stocking that is patterned after a state where shotguns are popular or mandatory for deer. And they've embraced shotshells that come 20 to a box, instead of 25 to a box, but the prices reflect the 25 count.

I was told there were hunting videos. If there were, they must have been well hidden.

Clothing selection was a bit better. At least it beats K-Mart and Wal-Mart by a long shot, but it still pales when compared to Sportsmans Warehouse or Fishermans Marine Supply. It is bit better than the defunct Joe's.

They do have a lot of Hoppes cleaning supplies, which is convenient.

Camping supplies are thin. Wal-Mart has much more than Dick's.

Dick's main emphasis seems to be on snowboarding, skiing, jogging and team sports, etc., with hunting, fishing and camping being almost an afterthought.

Looks like I'll still have to go to Wal-Mart or travel further to other sporting goods retailers, or mail order.

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

New

The name says it all !

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

New

"Sporting Goods" means high profit items in the retail world today.

Running shoes, Weight lifting eqipment, and yuppie inspired Spandex and Nike gear.

The little bit of hunting, shooting, and fishing stuff they carry is just bait to get the sucker in to buy the stuff they REALLY make money on.

Cabelas's and Gander Mountain operate under the same strategy, but their bait is of a flavor to attract more of the outdoor types. How many different types of camo hunting suits can we buy, now?

I think the Mom and Pop stores should get more of my business If there are any left.

HM

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    New "Dick

A Dick's just opened up here, replacing another sporting chain that went out of business (Joe's, formerly GI Joe's).

Not impressed.

Very yuppie-ish, and a very disappointing hunting department as far as selection goes. A goodly amount of their rifles were single shot NEF style, though they did have one Rem R15 and an R25. Noticeably lacking were Remington 1187s.

Their ammunition supply was especially disappointing. No hunting 223 ammo at all. Everything was FMJ. While they had piles of slugs and buckshot, it was all Remington, and no #4 buck. It was deer hunting fodder, and from the amount they must be going off a formula for stocking that is patterned after a state where shotguns are popular or mandatory for deer. And they've embraced shotshells that come 20 to a box, instead of 25 to a box, but the prices reflect the 25 count.

I was told there were hunting videos. If there were, they must have been well hidden.

Clothing selection was a bit better. At least it beats K-Mart and Wal-Mart by a long shot, but it still pales when compared to Sportsmans Warehouse or Fishermans Marine Supply. It is bit better than the defunct Joe's.

They do have a lot of Hoppes cleaning supplies, which is convenient.

Camping supplies are thin. Wal-Mart has much more than Dick's.

Dick's main emphasis seems to be on snowboarding, skiing, jogging and team sports, etc., with hunting, fishing and camping being almost an afterthought.

Looks like I'll still have to go to Wal-Mart or travel further to other sporting goods retailers, or mail order.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

New

The name says it all !

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

New

"Sporting Goods" means high profit items in the retail world today.

Running shoes, Weight lifting eqipment, and yuppie inspired Spandex and Nike gear.

The little bit of hunting, shooting, and fishing stuff they carry is just bait to get the sucker in to buy the stuff they REALLY make money on.

Cabelas's and Gander Mountain operate under the same strategy, but their bait is of a flavor to attract more of the outdoor types. How many different types of camo hunting suits can we buy, now?

I think the Mom and Pop stores should get more of my business If there are any left.

HM

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

New

suck up to the store manager. have him give you a handful of 10% off coupons. you'll get over it....

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

New

I was in one of those stores one time. I needed some shells and they had flats for a descent price. When the cashier rang up the three flats it totaled just three boxes. When I tried to explain to the cashier that there were 10 boxes inside each flat, she told me not to tell her how to to do her job. I quietly paid $18.79 for three flats of shells and didn't feel bad about it.

ss

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

New

We had a new Dick's open up down here as well. Its been open now for about 9 months or so. I went down after they first opened and like you, was very disappointed as well. I only went there one other time for a sale they had on some shells and got the royal run around. I'll never go back there again. To make matters worse on the shell sale they opened all the flats and placed all the boxes on the shelves. Ever try to buy 5-l0 flats shells in opened flats of 25 shell boxes only!!! Break-em all. Jeff

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

New

Low wages, people who don't know their product and catering to the urbanites. Yeah, that's Dicks' and quite a few others. Sports Authority (formally Gart Bros) is the same way. I seldom go in these places anymore.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

New

You can get a helluva deal on gun clubs if you play their system right. Right now, they are on sale for $59.97 a flat (if I recall correctly). You get $1/box mail in rebate. There are also Coaches Coupons (available if you say your affiliated with a gun or hunting club), which will give you 10% more off ammo. After all the wheeling and dealing, I'm shooting gun clubs for $47.49 TAX INCLUDED, then selling the hulls for around $7.50/flat, so i'm shooting factory ammo for $4/box...

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

New

One opened in the previous "G.I. Joes" here in Eugene, Orygun too. I checked it out and was not impressed with their knowledge or prices. Fellow behind the counter hadn't a clue what .30 M1 Carbine ammo might be, couldn't follow the difference between .38 Spl. and .380 Auto, saw a plethora of boots and shoes but not one for a narrow foot and they seemed proud of that. Oh well, maybe good in a pinch for common items......Bob Dodd

13. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

New

They're not a gunshop at all but that doesn't mean that there are no good deals/sales. They have really good prices on Columbia jackets and fleece (love that stuff), I like their 'Field and Stream' upland clothes and the store I go to in Richfield, MN has the best prices on Marlin leverguns... It pays to get the coupons, e-mails and promotions, especially if you have kids that are into sports.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

New

Dick's is primarily for the "Pilgrims, Bunny Busters and Yuppies".

I guess some people just like getting ripped off.

Curt

15. Damifino

Damifino Member

New

If you play the coupon game correctly Dick's has some value. Not all coupons can be used for ammo - you have to insist that the clerk try it. The coupons given as a promo to local sports work for me (on the back of the admission ticket to HS games).<br>
    My kid also bought (through me) a gun with his own money there once. They had a new Henry 22 with a scratched stock for $79.<br>
    Other than that, we buy at our local independents.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

New

Pro Bass opened here two years ago. I went in once. Way over priced. I haven't been back.

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

New

Must all be the same coast to coast.

The one in my area has an impressive store front, but when inside the most thrilling thing is the escalator ride to the second floor.

Regards....Gerald

18. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

New

We used to have a mall-based chain named Galyan's that carried the yuppie stuff, but also had a large well-stocked gun and gun accessories department. It was so refreshing to go to a mall that had a store selling handguns!

But Galyan's sold out to Dick's. Worthless.

19. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

New

I think what you are seeing is the culmination of years of "Business Management" higher education graduates replacing the earlier generations of business executives who came up "through the ranks". These MBA's look at return to shareholders as the primary overriding, and often the only, factor in their business operations. The earlier generation looked at a more complete picture of making a reasonable profit and doing so by offering customers what they wanted to buy at a reasonable price. The profits came from customers who felt they had a good source of whatever they wanted to buy and kept returning to the store because they knew it served their needs well.

In my area, several years ago there was a store that was a catalog showroom store that stocked everything from appliances, toys, baby goods, jewelery, and a whole bunch of other things including a very well equipped sporting good department with guns, ammo, reloading supplies, archery, fishing, tennis, golf, bowling and other sports.

The local outlet of this regional western Pennsylvania chain did close to 20% of its business from the sporting goods area and was the chain's leader in reloading supply sales (or so I was told by the local sporting goods department manager). Many of the other area sales were generated by Mom and Dad coming in to shop. Dad would look at the sporting goods or electronics areas while Mom got the appliances, baby goods etc. The chain was also a very good supporter of local sportsmen clubs.

The founding generation retired and their kids took over. They had some impressive educational credentials but little actual experience it seems. They remodeled the store, which had been a basic rectangular area with straight aisles that allowed quick, easy access to where you wanted to go. The new layout had serpentine aisles designed to lead you past jewelery (the highest profit center) then toys, then two or three other areas before you could get to the "Men's Area".

Then they dropped reloading supplies, then gun sales, then hunting clothing and supplies. Soon after that, the fishing area went from your standard type gear and supplies to the specialty fly rods, and other such low demand/high profit things. They went heavy into Squash rackets, handball equipment, high end golf and tennis, biking, jogging and such type of, what I called "Yuppie Sports" gear.

Baby Items were the next to go and then the appliance area went from your basic mixers, blenders, microwaves, and so forth into other things you normally didn't find in most kitchens in the region.

The drop off in number of customers was striking! At earlier Christmas times, you could hardly find a spot in the parking lot and lines were long, but moved quickly, at the check outs. After the changes , the parking lot was maybe 25% full on their best days of the Christmas shopping season.

After the changes I told my wife I give it a year before the store will be closed. Six month later they had their "Going out of Business Sale". When they were interviewed by reporters, the new executives blamed "poor economic conditions". To listen to the way they were talking, their decisions and lack of knowledge of their customer's wants and needs had nothing to do with their failure.

Based on my visits to Dicks and Gander etc. stores, it sounds like these people and their compatriots that ran the local chain into the ground have tried to put their business practices into use at Dick's Gander, etc. Although I have been into several Dick's and a few Gander Mountain stores, my purchases have been very small and almost always NOT related to hunting or shooting.

20. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

New

I agree with what Brian from Oregon said about the new Dick's. I stopped in the Dick's in West Palm Beach,Fl yesterday and was not at all impressed with their shooting or hunting section..
    They cater more toward yuppie clothing and team sports ---soccer,softball,etc.
    I still go to the new Gander store in West Palm Beach though it is a 20 mile ride, but it has all I need to reload and shoot.
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.