1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Deer Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Want to get a new rifle and scope for deer hunting. Bolt action and Vari power scope for shots at 300 yds max. What rifle and scope would give me the most bang for my buck, no custom built jobs. What caliber for white tails out to 300. I'm old fashioned and thinking 25-06 or 270, don't know anything about the short mags good or bad. Give me some advice please

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

take a look at the CZ line of rifles. They are made in the Czech republic, same as their handguns. Only their shotguns are outsourced and rubber stamped with their name on it.

Tikka would be another great band to look at....a poor man's Sako....

.270 is fine for your range.....

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Both calibers will work fine, but I'd give the nod to the 270. The little heavier bullet will fare better in the wind.

My preferance would be a rifle chambered in the .260 Remington. The 6.5mm bullet has nearly a perfect B.C. and tracks very true even in windy conditions. The only downside to this cartridge is the limited availability right now in factory guns.

Scope wise a good 4-12x42 size scope would work great. I'm thinking a new Redfield,Nikon,Leupold should fit the bill.

ss

4. Hungarian

Hungarian TS Member

Weatherby Vanguard in 270 would work. It should run you 400 plus tax. Spend the rest on a nikon scope.

5. DBLMTHM

DBLMTHM Member

When I got too old to carry a 300 Weatherby elk hunting (it weighed 10 1/2 lbs scoped, slung and loaded) I switched to a 270 Winchester and killed two bulls with one shot kills. Ruger ultralight in 270 with Leupold 3x9 compact and nylon sling (weighed 7 lbs scoped, slung, and loaded). A Winchester or Remington in this caliber would make an excellent deer rifle.

JMHO.

David

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Achilles heel of the 25-06 is cheap bullets. Don't use them. Use premium bullets.

The reason is, the 25-06 shoots over a long distance. That's what it's designed for. Bullets have to be designed so they don't grenade in a deer at close range like a varmint bullet will, but they also have to be able to open up at long range to ensure clean kills.

I can tell you from personal experience that cheap bullets will not work in the 25-06 if you are using the gun for both close and long range on deer and antelope. Most of the time cheap bullets will not expand at range. But they will still have the power to pass completely through a deer. I shot a doe at a measured 365 yards using Remington 100 gr Core-Lokt and the bullet did not expand. The bullet entered behind the front leg and exited out the rear haunch. This deer did not go down, but wandered off into a thicket. We had to wait her out so she wouldn't run. Not a clean death. Yet this same bullet will blow a coyote in half at 30 yards.

I really like the 25-06 for destroying coyotes. It excels at this. You don't have to hold off of fur out to 300 yards. I said "destroy", and it does exactly that. If you want to tan the fur, get something less destructive. The 25-06 also works well for rockchucks at long range. However, the penalty as a varmint cartridge is heavy recoil and muzzle blast. The 22-250 is a better all around varmint cartridge. The 25-06 fills a narrow niche for varminting. Especially since it will heat up a barrel and burn the throat out quickly in high volume fire.

The 25-06 requires a long action, and it works best in a long barrel, like 26" or more. The reason is the relatively skinny, long case with the small bore means it prefers long barrels and slow powders. If you want a shorter, lighter rifle, then look at a 257 Roberts, 6mm Remington or 243 Winchester. My 25-06 is a Browning 1885 Single Shot with a 30" barrel, and yes, the extra barrel length is providing a decent increase in velocity, confirming that the 25-06 likes long barrels.

I have no experience with the 25-06 for black bear or elk. (I'd be using a 30-06 or 45-70.) The 243 is considered a minimal cartridge for both, and even though the 25-06 is like a 243 on steroids, I'm not sure it is the best choice. It's long range ability is not really needed in dense woods.

7. emm2

emm2 Member

I shoot a .30-06 Savage with the accu trigger and really like it for a lower priced gun. I don't shoot enough rounds a year to justify an expensive rifle but have been very pleased with the performance and accuracy of the Savage.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You are asking about bang for the buck and it seems some posters are ignoring that.

Weatherby Vangard can be had at my local discount chain at full retail for 369.00. On sale 349.00

The Redfield scope mentioned already is a heck of a deal and I have a friend who works at Leupold who helps make them. Drn nice scope for less then 200 bucks.

The Weatherby comes with a factory test target that will show it shoots less then 1 inche or better 3 shot group with cheap ammo at the factory 100 yard test range.

I would shop test targets! If you can find 1/2 dozen weatherby .270's at a discount chain , have them pull them all out and pick the gun with the best target and then buy good factory ammo such as Nosler. I like the 140 Acubonds and 130 Nosler Partitions. I have never seen a .270 that would not shoot Nosler accubond bullets ( factory) less then 1 inch at 100 yards. My handloads shoot 1/2 inch in all my .270's.

All in you are looking at a rifle for less then 600 bucks including a box of shells that will most likely shoot 3/34 inch gropups at 100 yards. The truth is... If it shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards it would still be as accurate as you need if you will only be shooting 300 yards or less.

I don't care if my only shot will be 150 yards or less I want the most accurate rifle/ bullet combo I can find.

The Savage and teh entry level remington 700 are also good values, but I think the Weatherby is the best bang for the buck and teh Redfield scope is in the same class. Made in America and backed by Leupold is hard to beat on the Redfield rifle scopes.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Jeff

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Savage with the Accutrigger, new Redfield variable scope, Leupold rings and base....270 Win or 30-06. Good, inexpensive, reliable set up with manageable recoil. Factory ammo for these 2 calibers will be available anywhere.

10. lostandout

lostandout Member

buy the 270 savage 110 put a nikon buckmaster scope on it and you will have a great shooter right out of the box mine with this set up will shoot 1 inch groups at 200 with 5 shots ive had other rifles but i like the savage

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

top three for price and accuracy - Howa, Savage, Weatherby. The Howa is my choice and I have all three plus some others. I think the Howa gives you more gun for the money than any gun out there. The quality ofr a $500 gun is amazing

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"best bang for the buck" does not mean the cheapest rifle that will go bang (hopefully)...

do a google search on opinions on the Weatherby, Savage, CZ, and Tikka...out of the 4 mentioned, Weatherby is running about half good opinions, half bad opinions while the remaining three are mostly positive...

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Brian gives good advice

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Best bang for the buck: Savage with accu-trigger and Nikon scope. Burris Zee rings and 308 cal. Incredible variety of ammo available in the 308. I have a friend with that set-up. At the range at 300 yards he is with-end a couple of inches of aim point even in the wind, with the cheapest ammo he can purchase. Should be great for Deer.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Remington 700, Sako, Mauser, Browning, Marlin, F.N, are all great guns to own and shoot. Stay with a bolt action. Less problems in the field.

As for cal 30-06, 270, 308, you can find in any store you walk in to. Where are you going to find 25-06 when out hunting?

For a scope go with Leupold V-III and nothing else. Leupold has three grades V-I, V-II and V-III. One I is the lowest grade and the III is the highest. I own nothing but the V-III. The light gathering at early morning and late dusk is great. I know Redfield is now being made by Leupold and I will wait and see how they are before saying anything. As for power 3x9 is a great little scope. I have a 3.5 x 10 AO on my rifle. Just remember that Leupold has a great warrenty on their scopes. I have bought used scopes and sent them back to be looked over and cost was $0.00. No charge. That is a co I will always do business with. They back their probuct up 100%.

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Nikon Scope for sure... there is a 6.8 SPC that is a great 300 yard and closer gun it is a 270 caliber other wise a 270 or the 308,

Happy Hunting !!!

17. lostandout

lostandout Member

i would stat away from cheap rifles like the savage edge they are a good deal but the triggers are horable and have plasic parts in them

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

How about the REM mdl 760 and the REM mdl 7400?---They work for me in 30-06--180 grn---Whats your thoughts---Interested----MYSTIC---

19. thunder

thunder Active Member

Stay away from the Rem 760 and Rem 7400, in my opinion they are junk. Best rifle in Rem line is the bolt action model 700 or model 7. If you are looking for a semi auto get the Browning BAR, very accurate and no problems jambing or feeding factory ammo.

I also agree with the Nikon Scope line, best bang for the back and a great clear glass.

The .270 and 3006 great calipers for deer and elk.

20. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Go with the 25-06 in the Ruger Target MK-11.26" barrel and get a scope off of Ebay! The Ruger is a heavy gun but I like it for it's accuracy with my reloads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.