1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New DC Gun Law 7-15-08

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

"The emergency legislation will allow handguns to be kept in the home if they are used only for self-defense and carry fewer than 12 rounds of ammunition."

"Handguns, as well as other legal firearms such as rifles and shotguns, also must be kept unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks _ unless there is a "reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm" in the home."

*(10) “Machine gun” means any firearm which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily converted or restored to shoot:

(A) Automatically, more than 1 shot by a single function of the trigger;

(B) Semiautomatically, more than 12 shots without manual reloading.

I like this one...The process involves a written exam, proof of residency and good vision. Successful applicants must pay a registration fee and agree to fingerprinting and a criminal background check before obtaining a weapon.

Good vision? Wouldn't this fly in the face of those falling under the Disabilities Act?

Here's DC's strategy .....It remains to be seen how much of the district's new regulations will withstand constitutional challenges, Helmke said, adding that it could take years for the courts to sort it all out.

Knowing it will takes years for this new law to be challenged by the courts, they'll continue to enforce it.

You can read the rest at the link above.

Doug

2. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks for posting that. Although I'm glad the vote went 5-4 instead of 4-5, it's very ALARMING that it was that close, and even worse that the affirmation of the 2nd Amendment was, well, luke-warm at best (in my opinion), with too many conditions and grey areas.

DC is going to drag its feet and do the minimum to meet the SCOTUS' requirements. There will be legal challenges ahead. The hoops that a DC resident must jump through to simply POSSESS a handgun are about as bad or worse than what is required to carry a concealed handgun here in Idaho. It is for that and other reasons that I don't ever plan on living in an urban environment again in my lifetime if at all possible.

Jennifer

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Semi-automatic machinegun? These people are liberal idiots. Oh, sorry for repeating myself.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

So can a DC resident go out and buy a gun today and bring it home this week. Will they have to wait untill they offer classes which have yet to be designed.

Who is going to set the standards for safty and vision?

Since there are no gundealers in DC can a DC resident buy in MD or VA?
    Joe

5. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

gun in DC must first be registered and ballistics tested with local police at their discretion. Thats a bunch of K-rap. I wonder what the same folks would be saying if the courts had voted 5-4 to overturn the 1st amendment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.