1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new club in palm beach

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Jimmy Miller, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

I am happy to announce that the palm beach county commission voted yesterday to give land to our fish &wildlife commission to build a range for our county. while it will take 3 years to complete it will have 8 trap fields 4 combo skeet & trap fields a 15 position sporting clays course along with a bunker field. It will also have 200 & 100 yard rifle , 50 & 25 yd pistol range. A great day for shooting sports in south Florida.

I was also told by Bill Cline from the commission they had just got land to build a similar range outside Orlando. The interesting point is all the funding to build the facilities came from the taxes generated from gun & ammo sales resulting from the Obama administration gun control efforts. A silver lining in the Obama cloud!

good shooting to all
    Jimmy Miller FTA vice president

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I am cautiously optimistic?

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Where abouts in PB will it be built?

Eric

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Overgrown citrus groves west of Palm Beach Gardens could give rise to a shooting range for recreational and competitive shooters alike, under the county proposal.

Plans call for trap and skeet shooting, pistol and rifle ranges and eventually a clubhouse, pro shop and spectator stands on 150 acres next to the J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area. It would be built to meet Olympic standards, and county offiicals envision hosting national shooting events.

Adding a public shooting range has been on the county's to-do list for decades, but during the past six years remained on hold due to budget cuts.

The new plan calls for putting the shooting range on the northwest corner of the county's 1,919-acre Mecca Farms property, where the county once intended to build a campus for The Scripps Research Institute.

Environmental concerns scrapped plans for building biotech research labs and spinoff businesses on Mecca Farms, moving Scripps to Florida Atlantic University's Jupiter campus.

Now the county is considering donating the northwest corner of Mecca Farms to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which would build and operate the shooting range. The rest of Mecca Farms would be sold in a still-pending deal to the state for water storage planned under Everglades restoration.

The state expects to spend $5.1 million getting it built, with user fees covering operating costs. The first phase could open to the public in 2015. Plans call for the full-fledged facility to be ready by 2019.

Putting the shooting range on Mecca Farms opens the door to creating an ATV park.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-05-19/news/fl-extreme-parks-palm-20130518_1_shooting-range-gun-range-cindi-shendell

5. senorric

senorric Member

GREAT news!!!!!

6. ansvel

ansvel Member

What exact address?

7. Bueno

Bueno Member

Hurray! Looking forward to using it, if and when I move close and make it to completion. Three years seems like too long of a construction time. Most olympic facilities are completed in shorter time, including trap, skeet and precision rifle and pistol. $5.1 million seems like a conservative budget, but adequate.
    Sadly, "proposed" is what the article says, and is not breaking ground in the immediate future.

8. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Skip the bunker and save the money to build something else. Northbrook gun club in Ill had one anf no one shot it after the newness wore off and they pulled it out.
    Rick

9. ansvel

ansvel Member

Keep hands off the bunker! The banker is the best what humans have created.
    No one shoot because it's a great challenge.

10. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Don't hold your breath JW, I'll believe it when I see it.

11. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

The reason it is not starting imediately is that the land is part of llarger package of 1900 acres being sold to the south Florida water management district which will be completed in October of 2013. All needed constrction funding is in place as well as design plans. . I can say that I am confident it is going to be built since I personally meet with majority of county commissioners and got a strong unamious support for the range. The location is next to corbit wildlife management area near pratt witney and our speedway so noise will not be a factor.

12. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

VERY VERY cautiously optimistic...
    As already mentioned...IF it gets built, DO NOT expect any "deals" on shooting fees. This is FLORIDA....if cost is a problem, they'd rather you not be here. That said...IF it gets built, I'm sure it will get a lot of use, based on the number of people from South Florida who currently drive to Okeechobee to use the 2 very fine PRIVATELY owned shooting facilities located there.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, a government-run trap range in Florida usually means obsecene target fees. As the math-challenged will tell you, freight costs magically quadruple as the truck carrying the targets crosses the Georgia-Florida border.

-Gary

14. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

I thought Ron Holden already built a new facility in PB County?

Barry

15. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

No Ronnie is in Martin County about 1 hours drive from central Palm Beach County. Ron is also not holding any registered trap shoots next year currently.It is a beautiful facility but is focused on Sporting Clays.

Jimmy

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Bazooka Joe

Bunkers can be highly profitable for just about any club. In fact at ours the bunker is the single most profitable field on the property. I recall that the Northbrook bunker was not built correctly and had shotfall issues that did not allow it to be operated properly.

As far as cost in Florida one must realize that the targets come from the same factory but must be trucked 1000 miles. I agree that there is some concern regarding a county run facility but it has worked elsewhere so let's hope this is one of the good ones.

T

17. ercowles

ercowles Member

Let's hope they build it, that it's open more than one or two days a week, and the prices are reasonable...more like Connecticut's $4 a round, not some of Florida's $8.50 or $9. -- Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mecca farms shooting range

new gun club to be openned in west palm beach

new palm beach shooting range

new shooting range palm beach gardens

palm beach skeet and trap

palm beach trap and skeet club

ron holden south florida shooting club

trap shooting in palm beach county