1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New clay shooter using Win. 101 Diamond grade

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sero, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sero

Sero Member

After 43 years of not shooting I have gotten back into the trap game and I
    love it.
    I have access to two Win. 101 Diamond grades. One is a 34" single barrel with
    Win chokes and the other is an O/U 32" with lower fixed full and the top with
    Win chokes.
    Here are the questions I need help with.
    1. The guns seem to fit well but would it help to invest in adjustable stocks.
    The guns already have adjustable recoil pads.
    On my first two 100 round sets with the single I scored a not very impressive
    87/100 and then a 92/100.
    The first two rounds with the O/U were pretty much the same. An 86 and a 91.
    I'm using 1 1/8th. oz. 8's with 3 drams.
    2. What chokes are best at 16 yards? I am not an exstremely fast shooter but but by no means slow and my guess is quicker than many.
    3. I live in Valparaiso, IN. and would like to find two things.
    Someone that can help me properly adjust the recoil pads and also find a coach.

If anyone has questions regarding electronic dog training collars feel free to ask.
    I am the national sales manager for the second oldest manufacturer D T System.
    John Seroczynski

2. Sero

Sero Member

How do I find replies to my questions?
    John seroczynski

3. newcastle

newcastle Member

John, you find replys right here, those scores seem pritty decent for the long lay off I would just shoot it some more before I made any changes, If you do decide on adj comb you should be able to do it on just one gun and swap barrels. recoil pad is just comfort facter I beleive, take it out and pattern it move it around to see what feels right and where it hits and go from there. 16 yard chokes any of the one's you have will work fine, pattern at 22-23 yards see what looks good.

4. Sero

Sero Member

Thanks newcastle, I really appreciate the advice.
    John Seroczynski
    "Sero" for short

5. Sero

Sero Member

I'll be in the Henderson, KY / Evansville, IN. area from Dec. 19th. through the 30th.
    Are there any trap clubs or shoots in that area?
    I have started my return to the traps at the Glenn Park I / Walton club in Northern In.
    Great group of guys.
    John Seroczynski

6. tj303

tj303 Member

May I suggest you use a lighter load? 3 dram from 16 yards is over kill, also try 1 oz loads. The less recoil... the more comfortable you are...comfort means staying in the gun and shooting more targets...equals better scores. Enjoy your return!

7. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Use whatever load you want. Some people are very recoil sensitive, others aren't.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Heck I would give the gun a chance before anything else. I went to 1145fps shells and find I shoot better scores have less fatigue on long shooting days. I prefer my Briley spectrum Improved modified for as far back as the 23, where I am now. I have patterned all my chokes and this one gives the best over all results. Getting up and scoreing in the 90s after a 40 year layoff. think you really dont need a lot of help. Did your misses seem to come at the ends of your rounds.

9. Sero

Sero Member

I think most of my misses come because I am loosing concentration.
    I seldom if at all miss any hard right or left angle birds. In fact it always seems to be the easy straight aways or almost straight away.
    Once I've missed 1 or 2 or 3 I then always seem to bare down and finish with at a clean 5 or more at the end.
    I'm guessing that I'm taking the easier ones for ganted or not keeping my focus on the bird. Probably making the mistake of checking back on my barrel point of aim.
    I must admit that I am having some trouble remembering that the 101's seem to shoot a bit high. Just how high I'm not sure so I probably should first pattern
    test both guns.
    Will different loads (1 1/8 oz. - 3 dram or 1 oz. 2 3/4 dram) make much difference in the pattern tests or how high the gun shoots or is it mainly the
    number of pellets in the pattern?
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    John Seroczynski

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sero,

I don't know what Evansville Gunclub's schedule is like, but it is a very nice club that is just a few mi north of Evansville. I believe you can find the contact info on the ATA's website. Good luck and good shooting!

ec90t

11. whos your daddy

whos your daddy TS Member

Evansville gun club open till the end of Dec//Wed, Thu, Sat & Sun// call [812]768-6370//

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

try this web site for clubs,,,link above ,,,,clay targets on line

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.