1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Citori, mid bead is off center.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ncbound, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncbound

ncbound TS Member

I just bought a brand new Citori XT and I noticed the mid bead is off centered by .005". How much would it effect my shooting? Mentally, I think it will bug the crap out of me.
    Has this happened to any one else?
    I'm probably going to return it. Any ideas?
    David M

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get a pice of hardwood. A hammer handle will do. use it on a slight angle to rap the plastic in the bead over the required amount. You only have to deform it .0025".

End of problem. Have a spare bead handy. they are just pressed in with a spring steel cone holding the plastic. when you replace it you can guide it to center as you tap it down.

This is of course assuming they are still made that way. And since a threaded bead would cost more, I think I'm right.

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I'd return it ( you will never be satisfied with it that way )

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Remember Quote " You cant make Chicked Soup out of Chicken Shit ""

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

send it back to Browning for a new rib and bead. It will bug you forever and hurt the resale. It will not affect your shooting.

6. 3357

3357 Member

OR, if you do not want to send it back, DO NOT beat on it with a hammer and a block of wood. Instead simply remove the mid bead and find a gunsmith with a centering tool and have a mid bead installed, properly centered. You can also take advantage of this opportunity to locate the center bead to give you a nice figure 8 or whatever you prefer after you get your POI where you want it. You will have a tiny hole in the rib where the old mid bead was and I would guess you could live with that. Just my thought ... Jess.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Use a tree trunk to bend the barrel so it shoots where the sights aim. Simple. Jeez.

-Gary

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> Any ideas?

Yeah, don't look at the beads when you're shooting.

>> off centered by .005

You trap shooters kill me :)

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The mid bead is a press fit. You should be able to have it drilled and tapped for a 3-56 screw in mid-bead to correct the problem.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

New Gun!! Return it and get another one. Get what you paid for.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"New Gun!! Return it and get another one. Get what you paid for."

I agree.

They use the ad slogan; Browning products remain The Best There Is ®

I don't believe that statement, but if they are going to use it, they should live up to it and IMHO, that means the beads should be centered on a new gun, or should be made right.

It should NOT be the responsibility of the purchaser to correct it or bear the cost for it.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I just looked at 5 thousandths on my caliper.

It's the thickness of a business card.

You have to be awful good to perceive that when shooting.

And if you're that good it won't bother you.

Problem solved.

HM

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

you have three options, return the gun, alot of work on your part dealing with all the dunderheads. two, have a gunsmith remove the bead, have him drill a new hole in front of the old hole. this would devalue your gun. third, remove the bead, get clear epoxy, mix a little black paint into the epoxy, and fill the hole. wait a day for the epoxy to dry hard, redrill and tap a new center bead.
    steve balistreri

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Looks like you bought a Browning Monday gun? Things put togather on Mondays may be affected by Saturday nights good times.:) Hap

15. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

You've got to be kidding us. How did you determine it's off .005? How could you see .005 with your eyes by mounting gun. A average human hair measures .003 even using calipers I'd be still skeptical it's off. What kind of browning did you buy? 4andy10

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

17. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

The bigger question is:

Is the rib centered on the bore?

The bead not being on the center of the rib does not mean that it does not line up with the bore.

I expect that about any gun will have a .005" error in rib or bead placement.

Before you do anyting, you should shoot it and see if it POA is the POI in the horizontal direction.

JB

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

"Bead is off center by .005 inch"

Man, you must have a precise eye. That's just slightly more than the thickness of a sheet of typing paper. What are you going to use this gun for...... shooting prarie dogs at 350 yards? LOL

Easystreet

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I actually think his bead is off more than .005, he may have meant .050 and you would notice it. Any bead that is off on a new gun so that you notice it
    is not acceptable under any circumstances. Return it to where you bought it and exchange it for another gun. Like Hap says it may have been a Monday Gun, just like a New Car built on a Monday, more defects.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Was just discussing this with my daughter, she has an sctp national championship trophy (Had the top score on the squad, not a tag along), won the state championship at 13, has a regional bronze in bunker, backed up with over 50 more wins with trophies and she wanted me to respond. Most all of these wins were with an XT.

If this is actual and the mid bead is .005" and you took the time to figure out the mid bead was off slightly less than the thickness of 2 sheets of paper, you deserve to have it mentally affect your shooting. Her next response was why do you need beads anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning 725 off center bead

how to fix bead that is drilled off center

how to install a white shotgun mid-bead

how to install middle bead on browning citori

how to remove the front white beadd from a browning citori

how to repair an off center shotgun bead

middle bead off center on shotgun

taking bead off for trap