1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Choke - How much oil / grease?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lboh, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lboh

lboh Member

Have 2 new Diamond grade extended chokes for my browning bbl's

The factory chokes have a lot of oil on them. How much in reality do I need to add to the new chokes?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Put a dab of grease on the threads and screw them in.

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Birchwood Casey makes a little plastic squeeze tube with about 1oz of thick black puck in it, which I believe to be Molybdenum Sulfate grease. A little dab, spread over the entire choke tube and threads, works as well as anything else. It's a lifetime supply, costs a couple of bucks, and most gun shops have it. Clean out/off any stuff from inside the barrel, and choke tube surfaces, first. While there, get a little bottle of Birchwood Casey's stock wax.

best.....mike

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Nickel anti-seize from an auto store $6.00 will last a life time. Or Teflon tape.

Wayne

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I say go organic. A dab of sweet butter mixed with Hellman's Mayonaise. But if you are Italian then go with extra virgin olive oil. HMB

6. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

One of the anti-choke tube crowd at our club highly recommends saltwater....

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Buy a quality anti sieze grease ans slather it on all sides. Grease helps create a gas seal even if the choke gets a little loose and you forget to check it. Never use oil on a choke as it draws moisture and will help sieze the choke if left tight for a long period of time. Shooting in hot weather and taking the gun in and out of A/C while warm really draws the moisture. Lots of grease is the best.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've used oil on my extended choke tubes for years with no problems. But then again I take them out and clean them everytime I clean my shotgun. At least every other day of shooting.

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

I smear STP on the threads. Haven't had one seize up yet, and it doesn't stain like that nasty anti-seize stuff.

Dan

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a tube Permitex silver anti-seize lube at an auto parts store. Put a light coat on your choke threads. You will never have a problem removing them. I have the same tube I bought 20 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.