1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Categories?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ms Trapshooter, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms Trapshooter

Ms Trapshooter Member

My question is about trophies or prizes for the new ATA categories--especially Ladies II. If I declare Ladies II category and there are no trophies (other than an All American pin) for that category, have I eliminated myself from the trophies for the Ladies category? I am going to attend my state shoot this coming week and trophies are only awarded to Ladies not Ladies II. I guess the other part of my question is why create new categories if these categories are not in contention for prizes?

2. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Ms Trapshooter,

I do not know what state you are in but here is how we are doing it in Calif. a shooter must declare their intended catagory at time of classification . This decision is final and can not be changed. We are offering the new catagories in all the state championship events ( I.e. state singles , state doubles, state handicap. Presidents Handicap and the all around . All new catagories will have a champion trophy, runner up trophy and 3rd place Award will be the ATA points pins.

In the events that are not state championship events all ladies , for example, who have declared Lady II will also be eligible for the Lady Award or the Runner up award.Those that are declaring Junior Gold will be in " general " population ( due to their age) as will any sub vet, for those same events. ( for clarification in case anyone is attached to a ceiling right now, the events that will be " open " are the Class Singles, Class doubles, three handicap events and the HOA. )

Hopefully this is what your state intends to do also.

Kym Hughes
    CGSTA State Secretary

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can have Lady II and Lady categories in the same event, they are mutually exclusive. It would be Lady only, or Lady I and Lady II, wouldn't it? So no, I don't think you have a problem.

If you declare Lady II at a shoot, but there is only a Lady trophy for a particular event, you are in Lady for that event.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

It seems to me being eligible for Sub Vet, that declaring makes no sense. I base this on my record.

While I have amassed an AA point or three a few times by winning an occasional big event, I have never come close to making a team, no matter what category.

If you are good enough to compete for making AA and that's a major goal; then declare away in the category (or not) that garners the best chance of making the team.

If you are motivated by belt buckles, trays, decoys, goblets and other sundry hardware then classify in the group that renders the best chances for those.

I'm just motivated to shoot really well. I'm also in denial about getting older, and have an aversion to being deemed "sub" anything--although I know I am....

The various events in the programs will state what categories apply and the trophies associated. If you declare Lady 1 and there is no Lady one trophy for that event all ladies young and old will vie for the same Lady trophy (excluding the snot-nose categories). If you don't declare Lady 1 and there is a trophy for that cat in an event, you will not be eligible.

Good Luck!

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.