1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New bt99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Iput a bt99 on hold at my local sporting good store. plain bt99 price $1099.00
    what do you guys think. Last one in stock they said the price was going up.

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Well, I love my BT-99, though it's an older model (1970 issue). The only negative is that it's a singles gun. To shoot doubles, you have to shoot a different gun. If you've got them set for identical POI, no problem. I don't know if today's BT-99's differ that much from vintage issues (other than the lack of engraving and the addition of choke tubes), but there is no doubt that the gun was originally designed to do one thing and do it very well... and that's singles/handicap trap. Can't help you with the price. I don't need another one, so I've not been pricing them.

I've heard some people on this site complain about BT's before, but I've shot the same gun since I was 14 years old (40 now). My dad has shot his (heavily) since he got it in 1969. Mom got hers about the same time, though she didn't shoot as much as Dad. My sister has the oldest BT in the family, but she rarely shoots anymore. Hers is still pristine and tight. As far as the most used guns in our family, it would be mine and Dad's, and they've never been touched by a gunsmith. No firing pin problems, nothing...

However, we take very good care of them. They're cleaned and oiled after each use, and the guns are never ever slammed shut. In fact, Dad trained me to close my gun with the break-open lever pulled and then gently move it into the lock position after the gun is closed. We never just close the gun and let the lever "pop" into position.

I'm not saying that kind of babying is required of a BT, but it's certainly a good practice for making any break-open shotgun last a lifetime and beyond.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BrowningGal, I agree with the cleaning after each use but holding the lever over on a BT99 will result in the gun not locking up tight. That will shorten the life, not prolong it. Hold the lever over and note the position after closing, then close it and let the gun lock up on it own and you will likely see a difference.

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Hmmmm... I was intrigued enough to go pull my BT out of the safe to experiment. I closed manually as I described before and noted the lever position. Then, I opened the gun and closed it again, this time letting the lever pop into position. On my gun, at least, there is no difference. The gun is tightly closed using both methods.

Now, I could see there being a difference in a new gun with tighter tolerances. In fact, when I got my XT last April, I bought it brand new. When I tried to use the gun the same way as my BT (manually placing the lever), I did indeed have a couple experiences where it didn't properly close. Pull trigger, no bang. I had to let the lever pop at first during the break-in period. Now, though, I'm able to manually close without issues. I checked that one, too, and I see no change in lever position between the manual and pop methods.

5. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I think you guys lost my point. Im trying tell my wife this is the best price of the year.And i really need a new gun . not really i just want to no if that is a good buy

6. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I agree with sky buster. The older BT99's are nicer, but if you are happy with a new one that is a good price.

They are usually around $1200.00 or more.

Jim

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BrowningGal, The locking bolt and lug are are cut at an angle. The "break-in period" is continous until the locking bolt bottoms out, after which it becomes loose. If the locking bolt gets a little dirty it will be even harder to get a tight lock up holding the lever.

nailer123, price sounds good for a new one.

See this thread.....30-Sep-07 - BT99 Lever Position? (New Style BT99)

8. Billster

Billster TS Member

Nailer:

It's a good price. Go for it. If it's the plain model so much the better. The Browning adj. comb is lacking. You could get the comb done with a Graco hardware and have a Gracoil installed and just about break even with a full priced BT.

I bought mine new in Aug. and now have over 10,000 rounds thru it. Aside from having a headache with the foreend iron (now solved by a very able stock fitter) it's a smoker. (I keep considering a Precision-Fit for it.) Keep it clean and treat it with respect and you'll have a heirloom to pass along. It's a simple smoker. All you'll need IMHO.

Cheers
    Bill Stengel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.