1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new BT99 is it a good gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cwc mac, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwc mac

cwc mac TS Member

Is the new BT99 a good gun to buy or is it junk comparied to the older guns?
    Some say a gun manufactered before 1995 is the better gun.I'm thinking of buying a new BT99 for my grand daughter.
    comments please

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

buy an older one

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I agree. buy one with the engraved receiver.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I tend to like the older ones a lot better than the newer ones. There are very few, if any, issues with the older guns.

The same can't be said for what is being made these days.

ss

5. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

I am 4 years and roughly 20,000 targets into a new BT99. It has an adjustable comb and, despite comments by some to the contrary, I have found the gun to function well. The adjustable comb hardware on the new gun seems to get a lot of flak but, here again, I have had no disappontments with its reliability and I have appreciated the benefit of owning a new gun offering a more tailored stock fit at avery reasonable price..

6. Robbie T

Robbie T TS Member

I have a newer one that I like alot.

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Seems to me the number of quality bt99's available in the used gun market attests to it's popularity. Though not as eye pleasing as the older and undoubtably more expensive models, I'd wager that the new ones will be around for years to come after the model changes again. That said, there are some real bargains on used models but if you must have a new gun go for it.

Robert

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I have a newer one that was used before I bought it. I think it was made in 2002, but I've put thousands of rounds a year through it for the last 4 years and never had any problems what so ever. Great gun, can't say enough about it. You can spend a hell of a lot more money on a gun, but not get that much more of a gun.
    -Trappy

9. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I have been shooting trap since 1970 but oddly, never had a BT-99 until 2007.

I had trigger issues with my 2005 manufacture BT-99, which I bought as a new gun from the dealer's stock in Feb. 2007.

When I first acquired the BT-99, it had a 4+ pound trigger pull.

This went to 28 oz.'s in less than 7,000 rounds. The sear experienced wear on the surface that engages the hammer.

I had this repaired, a new sear and hammer was installed and fit to it, it now has a 4 1/2 pound pull that has not changed in several 1,000 rounds since the repair.

Apart from that, I do like the gun.

Mine is a 34" with the adjustable comb.

Mine patterns VERY well with it's full Invector Plus tube to the point I am not interested in changing out the factory tube it came with.

The adjustable stock system does not get good reviews. Mine is has been fine but I only adjusteded it to get the fit and POI I wanted, then I never messed with it since. It is not adjsuted to any extreme; up 1/8" with 0 cast. I get a 70/30 POI, which I like with this set up.

I have shimmed the posts on the comb with a black, plastic "1/4 M" tap washer on each post, this secures it at the 1/8" elevation, I tightened it as per the instructions and it has never moved on me.

I have got used to the extractor only system on the new gun. Actually, one of the few common failures I have seen on the pre-1995 BT's is ejector failure, so the extractor isn't an all bad thing.

I enjoy my BT-99 and I currently shooting it every week.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The older style and the new style BT-99 guns are possibly the best guns for the cost on the market. If Browning would change the name of the gun to something like 109-TB and price it at $6,500, many shooters would believe it is at least an equal to Perazzi single barrels. Price is not always a good indicator of quality.

Pat Ireland

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Older is better!!!

12. NANK

NANK TS Member

I have a new BT 99 with about 800 rounds through it in 2 months. I have had Zero problems. I did have to tighten the stock/action bolt last week and have had nothing loosen up since. I have adjusted the comb to fit me and have not touched it since, has not moved after making sure all the screws were tight. Also tightened the forearm screws, I do not think this is a problem, just tightening a new gun after a few hundred rounds. This is a great gun for $1300.00 dollars.
    Hope this helps,

Ken

13. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I had a old one 1979 fixed IM 34" and sold it for a new one. A BT-99 golden clays. I found both to be very similar. They were both about 70% high and swing well. Can't go wrong with either.

[​IMG]

Who says the BT-99's don't have nice engraving!

14. toad67

toad67 Member

I have a new nickel/laminated BT-99 That shoots great and I really like it. Not everyone is fond of this combo but it holds up really well during our winter league here in Oregon.

Todd

15. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have a newer BT-99 with the grey laminate (Gander special) stock and the matte finish. I got the adj comb model and I used washers to secure the height that I wanted. The comb on mine wiggles a little and I will soon remedy that with Ken Rucker's conversion. So far, I am very happy with mine.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The old ones are better. Make sure you do your research on the different versions though.

17. wlc

wlc Member

My wife has had a new style HiGrade model for four years. It seems to be a vert good gun. I had a couple of the old ones in the past. Unless you want the ejector instead of extractor, I'm not sure why the old ones are better.

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Started with a 70s beavertail - sold to buy a late 70s Pigeon (Grade 2) w/semi beavertail forearm (own). Added a '92 32" as a guest gun - sold to buy a recent Nickle Laminate 34" (SHOT Show Special) as my current guest gun. Other than extractors in lieu of ejectors... no fault with the new model, plus it has engraving and bright metal choke tubes!

My guests seem to enjoy the simplicity of the gun - they all break targets with it...

regards,

Jay

19. wproct

wproct Member

I previously owned a 78 34in old model, it was an excellent gun, nice and tight all the way round. Recently got back into shooting and bought an 09 32in shot show special model, with silver nitride receiver. It's been a good gun so far. Only complaint is the barrel channel in the forearm is a little oversized and the barrel works slightly side to side when opening and closing. Average person probably might not notice, but it bugs me. I really do like the back bored barrel with the invector plus tubes. Bought a Briley extended improved modified tube and it throws a beautiful pattern.

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

wproct, that is a common problem. The wood compresses and the forearm feels loose. Glass bedding the front of the forearm will fix it. Put a few layers of black electrical tape between the barrel and wood at the front and see if it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are older bt 99 good

what is the function of the hammer sear in the hatsan bt 65