1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New BT 99 Loose

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NANK, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NANK

NANK TS Member

I have a brand new BT 99, maybee 300 rounds through it, 1 1/8oz 3 dram loads. I have had to tighten the screws at the fore end, at the comb and now it seems the stoc k to receiver is looser than it was when I first put it together.Is there a way for me to tighten this or do I need to send it back to Browning? Is it okay for me to shoot with it being like that is it normal? Thanks for any help.

Ken

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Tighend the screws and don't be a wuss when you do it.

3. NANK

NANK TS Member

LOL. Thanks Oletymer, just don't want to hurt the new baby.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This would be a good time to remove the stock completely and clean the trigger/receiver and lightly oil the assmebly.

Then tighten the stock bolt firmly upon reassembly.

You may want to remove and clean the threads of the forearm screws. Use a little of the BLUE locktite upon reassmbly. This is a know issue since Browning cheapened the gun up.

ss

5. NANK

NANK TS Member

How do I remove the stock? The owners manual is too basic. Is there an instruction video available, maybe on you tube or something someone else has put together? Sorry for all the questions, I am new to shotguns, taken apart every other gun I have, but not this one yet.

Thanks,

Ken

6. NANK

NANK TS Member

Is that what the bigger allen wrench is for, to tighten the stock bolt? Do I remove the recoil pad and tighten from the but of the stock?

Thanks,

Ken

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Remove the two screws holding on the recoil pad (look for the slits). once you have removed the pad the sock bolt will be visible. Simply unscrew the bolt and pull the stock off.

Clean the action with brake parts spray cleaner (careful as not to get any on your stock or forearm) and then lightly oil with RemOil or similar product.

Re-install the stock and tighten the bolt. Put pad back on and you'll be ready to go for a few months. I generally clean and oil the trigger a couple of times a year.

ss

8. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

push your thumbs back and forth across the pad to find the slits in the rubber.
    Insert a number two phillips hard through those slits so that you stay in the screw as you turn it.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use vaseline or white lube on your screw driver when you take the pad off so as not to screw up the rubber on the pad, but if you remove the stock and clean up the inside and remove the rust use a good fitting screw driver on the trigger gaurd screws so many people burr up the screws, and be sure to re-install the screws by hand for the first few turns to be sure the screws are started in the previous grooves, and also make sure the screws go back in the holes they came out of so the screws are aligned as originally installed, that way no burrs to catch hand and fingers on, and the gun will still look like new after you are finished.

Use the Blue Locktite on all metal to metal threads on screws to prevent loosening.

Maybe the wood is shrinking allowing the screws to come loose on the forend and stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. NANK

NANK TS Member

I got it figured out. Thanks for the help. This is a great site.

Ken

11. NANK

NANK TS Member

I was making it more complicated than needed. It really is not difficult with all your advise.

Ken

12. arend003

arend003 Member

To address the forearm issue both mine and my wife's had this problem it is due to Browning using a wood screw for one of the mounting screws. I had a gunsmith install a threaded insert and machine screw to replace the wood screw and the problem of loose forearm is not history .
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 stock removal

bt 99 breakdown forearm removal
bt 99 max drams
bt-99 stock installation
change recoil pad bt 99 you tube
how to tighten the action on a browning bt 99
take apart your browning bt99 youtube
youtube how to take a bt99apart