1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Browning Maxus Autoloader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Has anyone had a chance to see or better yet shoot one of the Browning Maxus Autoloaders?

2. chastaj

chastaj Member

I saw one at the SHOT show. It feels lighter than it is, drop at comb similar to the Browning Golds. I am old school and like wood on my guns, but if you like the durable and camo finish, and shoot a lot of 3 1/2 mags it looked like a good gun. I personally liked it better than the Benelli just of how it balanced

3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

The Gold series had issues that the Winchester SX - which is the same gun minus the speedload feature - did not. Browning auto's have dissapointed me, and this one seems to have a lot more plastic in high stress areas. That said I know guys who love them (Golds that is). I'm sure it will be a functional duck gun, but I would bet the Winchester knock-off will be better, and neither will replace the Xtrema or SBE as the waterfowling guns of choice.

Just my $.02.

Joe

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Just a revamped Gold, which really wasn't a very good gun for the long haul.

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean that the Gold was not good for the long haul?? I have had mine for about 10 years now and it has never failed me...EVER! Light loads,heavy loads, cold weather, rainy weather, hot weather, you name it! The Gold is the softest shooting fastest cycling auto ever made so if the Maxus is an improved version of the Gold it should be a great gun....

BTW Bobby Fowler the greatest Sporting Clays Shooter ever won everything you could win with his Gold for many many many years...The Gold is a way better Auto than either the Beretta or Benelli by far!!!

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

If you have never owned one than I guess you really don't have an opinion that is worth listening to....

My opinion has evolved after years of use without a single malfunction so I guess there are some facts involved in formulating my opinion...Also, on a recent waterfowl hunt I personally witnessed my friends Benelli SBE malfunction and my Gold and I were left to clean up.... After he missed his first shot the bolt didn't completely close and he was not able to follow up with a second shot..Nice!!!!! Good thing my Gold and I were in the blind to clean up!!

BTW....It was the opinion of Bobby Fowler the greatest Sporting Clays shooter of our day that the Gold was the best auto for his competition. It is fact he won everything you could win with his GOLD so I guess I'm in good company...I haven't seen any Beretta or Benelli shooters win anything!!!

7. Tron

Lucky is about the only loyal Gold owner left. Even Bobby gave up on the them. They didn't offer rebates on them because they were the greatest auto ever made. They had a lot of problems, mainly firing pin issues, springs and bolts.

We've already been through this before Lucky and if you feel that it's a great gun, then more power to you. Shoot what you like and nevermind what anyone else thinks.

8. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Bottom line I am loyal to equipment and brands that have been reliable for me and if it isn't I don't care what were talking about I will be the first to tell the everyone I know about my dissatisfaction!

I guess I got one of the good ones but I have a hard time believing I am one of the only ones that like their Gold...I shoot with allot of people at my club that like there Gold as well....

Opinions don't mean much to me unless they are backed by real life experience....

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I never understood the love affair with Benelli shotguns. They are way overpriced and the hardest kicking autos I have ever shot. They do have a simple action that is easy to clean but I have still seen several malfunction. When I pick one up it feels like a very expensive toy to me. I have had two buddies that bought the Benelli pumps for duck hunting. I have seen both of them malfunction while duck hunting. They look and feel like plastic toys too. Not just picking on Benelli. I have seen every popular brand of auto malfunction at the range and in the field.

10. Tron

I have mixed feelings about Benellis. They are expensive, they do kick a lot, and their triggers are really really bad. BUT they are simple, reliable, well machined and about the best duck hunting gun out there provided that you use fairly stiff shells. Not a good gun at all for the clay games....but, I do see people try every now and again.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am Beretta all the way. I do have a Benelli Black Eagle though and one thing I can say for the Benelli is this. If you hunt ducks and geese long enough you will hunt in a rain and your blind will be a mudhole. The benneli can be full of mud and never stop. My Beretta's wont do that. So for clay games it is Beretta and for hunting it is Benelli. I use a Montefeltro 20 ga for upland game. As for the Browning Gold I have never owned one so I will not comment other than to say most of the people I know had them, I repeat had!! They dont get a lot of positive feedback. THe Super X 3 is the fastest auto and thats been proven. I plan on buying one just to try.

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

The Benelli that jammed in my blind was using 3 1/2 inch shells and it still failed to cycle! I think this would qualify as a stiff load?

This comes from personal experience when I say, I wouldn't call the Benelli the best waterfowl gun out there by any means! My friend could have been using a single shot and got the same result....BTW he was extremely embarrassed as he should have been....Glad that has never ever ever happened to me..BTW I could own two Golds for the price of his SBE...

13. Tron

So then Lucky, are you trying to say that you like your Gold? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if you're on the fence with this gun, or you like/dislike it.

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Hey Cuban Cigar dude the Super X by Winchester is the same action as the GOLD...It is fact that the Gold and SX2 have the exact same cycle rate making them both the fastest cycling auto's around....Cycle rates were tested for the Gold years before the SX2 even came out 5 shots in .52 hundreths of a second! Do your research...They are made in the same facillity and are part of the same company and use the exact same Active Valve Gas system...The only difference is the cosmetics as the name on the gun....

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Did Kitty teach you how to play with the mouse Tron?

16. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

As I mentioned before if the gun had failed me in the last 10 years I would be on this thread trashing it...I am still waiting for that day....

17. Tron

So.....you don't like the Browning Gold?

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had very good luck with the gold shotguns and own 3.5 inch, a sporting clays and a 10 gauge

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would like to hear feedback from Super X3 owners. ???

20. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

So... if the SX guns and the Gold are mechanically identical except for the speed load feature... are they equally reliable? MR Ducks believes the SX is better. Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning maxus cold weather cycling

browning maxus failure to feed

brownings best autoloader
duck hunting with a browning maxus forum
forum on browning autoloaders

how reliable is a browning maxus while waterfowl hunting in cold weather forum

maxus mag loader hangs up
maxus speed load