1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New book: Sporting Shotgun Performance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr A C Jones, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Some years ago a German supplier gave to a group I was in a Christmas Stollen cake. It looked like an ordinary fruit cake to the untrained eye. I took a far from generous slice but I swear I was left eating it all afternoon. It must have had the density of plutonium. Despite my appetite being sated the slice just didn't seem to be any smaller!

The book in the title of this thread will also be pretty heavy going for a lot of people. So, to help people through it, if I'm posted a specific query via PM on this site I'll try and add some further explanation in the main forum.

By most shotgun book standards, it is a very technical book. That said, in my opinion it is a far more lucid text than those from Brindle and some from Ed Lowry. I struggled to read (by which I really mean understand) their writing first time around and I certainly didn't put what they wrote into any kind of useful context. Those are the two main published sources I use to help build-up a more complete picture of shotgun performance. Most other books I bought and read for background information didn't contribute much. Neil Winston's chronograph tests were very helpful in providing an explanation for how chokes work.

The backbone of the new book is the 2000+ pattern tests of various shotguns and cartridges in different scenarios. These help to show what really happens with a shotgun.

Of particular interest to clay shooters are the analyses of pellet impacts against clay pigeons. Guess what, one pellet really is enough to break a clay pigeon most of the time. I show this directly by test. In the past it was implicit from measured pattern density and average scores but this was too subtle for a lot of people. The direct measurment is pretty persuasive.

Anticipating a couple of questions:

Cost: This has drawn a few sharp intakes of breath. You are not paying for calorific value here boys!! If I did a division of cost by likely sales it would be $1000 per copy. If one divides the cost by the number of facts, the cost per fact is tiny (a good many other shooting texts have cost divided by a very small number, in fact, that "very small number" may be zero or negative in some cases). Moreover, it will pay for itself. You will know what matters and what doesn't. If I had this book at the start of my shotgunning time I would be many $1000s better off. Maybe 10s of thousands. The book is very good value.

Delivery: The book is "Print on demand" - basically an overgrown photocopier prints the copy on receipt of order and binds it. Personally I'm not overly enamoured with the production quality but it's the only feasible option. If anybody is interested in what I have found out about getting a book printed send a PM and I'll start another OT thread. In short, my assessment is the publishing industry is like the record industry; It's primary purpose is to keep itself well feathered and the creative part of it comes a distant second.

Content: Long term TS.com users will recognise some of the content that was first posted here over the previous years. If you didn't like it first time around you'll dislike it even more second time, but, you will struggle for rational reasons why. Generally the feedback so far has been very positive. Nobody has come back with any criticism yet. I found a spelling mistake which irked me a bit though. The book addresses most aspects of shotgun downrange performance. Almost every question posted on this forum about shotgun performance could be addressed by a reference to this book.

You'll never read a shotgun magazine article in the same way ever again.

Andrew.

[​IMG]

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You're probably not directly involved in this end of the process but do you have a projection of delivery time from the date of order?

If we find the spelling mistake, do we get a discount? (he asked with tongue in cheek)

MK

3. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

You will get an ETA on delivery almost immediately as soon as your payment is processed. I got my copy processed through PayPal, I think, this past Tuesday. I got an immediate email telling me to expect the book to be delivered by 12/15 so it looks like a little over five business days, including shipping time.

And Dr. Jones, let me thank you in advance for all your work on this book. One of my persistent questions has always been, "Exactly what happens between the end of the muzzle and the target?" For example, I have always assumed there must be some significant impact on the flight characteristics of a round object as it slows back down through the sound barrier (unless you're shooting a subsonic load to begin with).

I can't wait to get it. I'll have a small mountain of popcorn all ready when it does get here!

Doc

4. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

MK, Delivery seems to be about 5-10 days (mostly nearer the 10) in the US, that is Christmas delivery will be very marginal. I know some people will be thinking: Amazon = almost next day. Amazon are to publishing as Walmart are to groceries. Amazon take quite a cut of the proceedings for the pleasure of selling a book, dictate printers, and are rumoured to be less than transparent about paying-up in some cases. I used Amazom a lot in the early days of e-commerce, but now I try and use alternatives, especially for shooting related stuff.

Andrew.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I read the portion available online - I will get a copy of the book. I just wanted to say thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Prediction - it will take another generation before the science becomes accepted. There is a lot of old fashioned thinking hanging on in trap circles.

Question - I am really interested in your findings on one pellet being adequate to break a target. Did you test this on international trap targets too? Perhaps I should phrase the question as "what type of targets did you test this on"?

TIA

6. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

It's a shame that trapshooters will be a bit difficult to shift. Trap is the discipline that benefits most from some optimisation of the pattern because the target distance and presentation are relatively constant.

I did the tests with a CCI standard ISU target. I did two spin speeds (well three if you include static, but static is completely misleading) and a range of pellet impact positions and energy. That all sounds pretty good so far. Unfortunately, the results are only directional because the exact energy needed to break the clay depends on the very specific impact position which I couldn't control all that well. Further, there's no way of knowing how repeatable the results are anyway. The only way to flush this one out is to test over many batches, and then many makes. Also, you'd have to test at different temperatures.

What will be most lasting from the book is the test and analysis methods. I have shown that tests at static clays are meaningless (worse actually) and how to test the spinning clays. Following the same methodology, someone can now test at different temperatures and show once and for all whether cold targets are more difficult to break.

Andrew.

7. JGS

JGS Member

I ordered Dr. Jones book on December 10th., and I received a confirmation on December 12th. that said my book had been printed and "dispatched." The confirmation further said that I should receive my book in two days. I still haven't received the book, and this morning when I called the printer in the US, they said they couldn't provide any information without an ISBN number. It's my understanding that there isn't an ISBN number for this book so it looks like I'm stuck. I would appreciate hearing from anyone on TS.com who ordered this book regarding their delivery experience. Thanks. JGS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.