1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Black Rifle Toy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k1200ltc509, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Just finished putting together this A R with a buddy. 24" heavy barrel, Grim Reaper Lower, J&P 3.5 Trigger! Can't wait to try it out
    k1200ltc509_2008_030368.jpg

k1200ltc509_2008_030369.jpg

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I do like the machine work on the barrel but why such a long barrel? Nice kitchen!

3. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Rich just trying to get the best ballistics out of it. I figured that iffin i don't like it its easier to cut and recrown the try to make it longer! Im going to try heavy bullets as long as they feed with a 1/8 twist!

They have a particular fluting which is called "cameltoe" that actually looks nicer, but is MORE money. I tried to put it together on a pretty realistic budget with that I wanted. I know about the name,, but they did it!

Its not my house, I wish it was. You should see the other 5400' of it! I will let the results be known, but that upper on just a stock lower with no trigger work and stuff was really close to .75 moa with good ammo. Not the best but good ammo. Thanks, Rick Gibbs

4. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

The twist belongs on the inside of the barrel!

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I built a long barrel one with a standard length gas system. I built it for 75, 77, and 80 grain bullets. I used the 7.7 twist barrel and it was accurate, but I always had timing issues with the extraction. It would pull the rims off the case trying to extract while the bullet was still holding full pressure in the barrel. I ended up cutting the barrel down to 23.75 and it functioned fine. I then built another 26 inch upper using a gas system that was 2 inches longer. Same 7.7 twist barrel. That rifle worked really well. That spiral fluting is really snazzy.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Whose flip up fromt sight is that? Is it plastic? It's generally not a good idea to put a plastic sight on a working gas block. You can get away with it on a 9mm, .22LR or other gasless system. But a block with gas flowing through it can get hot enough to melt plastic. MagPul, for example, cautions against this.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian is right. A polymer front sight whether flip up or fixed on a rail top gas block is a no-no. Magpul's polymer flip up sights even have a warning about using them on there. Too much heat produced. Pics are too fuzzy to tell what kind it is or what it's made of.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Another want-to-be Rambo..

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Obviously you don't know much about the current AR's. My varmint gun is a Rock River A4 Varmin. Out of the box it shoots as good as any bolt action I've ever had. 20" heavy stainless barrel, 2 stage target trigger. At 100 yards on a good rest, I had 10 shots covering 1", and I'm not that great of a rifle shooter.

My son's Stag will do the same thing.

10. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Nice looking rifle.

I had 3 AR's at one time and sold them ....... went back to a good old bolt rifle. Don't miss the AR's a bit.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Setterman: AR's I have no issue with. It's just you want-to-be Rambo's (not to be insulting) running around in your Camo's and Mattel plastic guns-------A little strange, my friend.

12. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Nice rifle Rick, I have a 24" 7.7 twist chambered by Compass Lake. It loves 55gr Nosler BT with 335 (5 shot 1/4" groups @ 100) and the 77 SMK with Varget loaded to magazine length (under 1/2" @ 100). I also put a muzzle brake on it and got the weight to 14 lbs and when shooting Pdogs it just sits their with very little movement. Great for seeing the red mist.

Bill

13. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Shot410ga, I sent you a PM? Rick Gibbs

14. Brian in Oregon

shot410ga, quote: <i>"Another want-to-be Rambo.."</i>

shot410ga, quote: <i>"Setterman: AR's I have no issue with. It's just you want-to-be Rambo's (not to be insulting) running around in your Camo's and Mattel plastic guns-------A little strange, my friend."</i>

Well it IS insulting, even if you deem it not to be.

Let's review the site rules, which you agreed to when you registered to use this site:

<i>"Additionally, by registering for this site, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-explicit, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in bad taste in an open public forum."</i>

Well, you have the hateful part covered with your attack post on other gun owners. A troll with a suspiciously similar handle making the same kind of attack posts recently about concealed handgun owners got the boot by the site owner.

You might want to think about that before you start insulting other gun owners on this site.

15. MR870

MR870 Member

People can say what they want to about AR's but when I show them the groups of Federal Fusion 62 grain targets they usually shake their heads.Mine has a Plum Crazy lower with a 20" RGuns NM heavy 1/9 barrel and a BSA Sweet 223 scope.Groups of .38 to.40. are common.Last week a coyote made the mistake of trotting out in the open about 300 yards away on my Dad's farm.When I picked up the AR my Dad said you need to get your deer rifle for that critter.I fired and hit him under the ear.The only thing my old man could say was "Damn,ya got him!"Before we got to him I told my dad I head shot him in the ear.My Dad is hard to impress but I did it.The next thing he said was "You can build me one of them for xmas."

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Amusing thread in a way. Trends, IMO, sometimes develop because somebody says something can't be done or has not been done. AR type vs. bolt type of rifles have a reputation, or did years ago, of not being made to be accurate in particular. Was it not P.O. Ackley, to paraphrase, said that "interesting rifles/guns are accurate rifles/guns"...please correct me for exactness on that if you remember..

So some gunsmiths and other interested parties decided to make them accurate via gunsmithing which can be a type of hotrodding on guns. Then the controversy begins..."you are a wanna be Rambo" and similiar comments. So...if the AR type of gun (which really as far as I know have no more firepower, give or take, than a BAR Browning Hunting rifle) is restocked in wood and the shooters get out of camo and black clothing, well, the gun would be less controversial?

I can see it now: English Walnut or American Walnut stocks for your AR. Highly polished blue barrels etc.

Me? Give me a Sako or a Savage Varmint bolt action rifle and I'm happy...along with a Leupold optic.

Reminds me of the street rod/hot rod style the past thirty or so years: Traditional with OHV engines to very smooth high tech vehicles in Porsche Red, with lots of billet accents and accessories. Then a move to more traditional paint jobs...besides red. Then retro rods with flames etc. A 50's look...fast forward a bit to the rat rod, a fast car designed to look, and often is, super spontaneous and rusty. Now rat rods that sometimes feature faux patina and excellent engineering. Round and round we go; next year maybe the guards red hot rod will be back. And retro highly accurate wooden stocked and sportorized military bolt action rifles will be in. And Model 12's will once again be "the" gun...it's all good if fun and safe.

But back to the first posting in this thread: Super nice kitchen. Granite or high tech man made counter top? Sub Zero or Thermador? Stainless sink or foreign? Kohler (not "Kolar") faucets or Grohe? Any Miehle gourmet stuff there? Nice, nice kitchen! I'd take up cooking for a while and give up trapshooting for a bit to "get my chef on" in that home! After that, I'm honestly gonna drag out my milled rib "real" Model 31 trapgun and shoot a round or two of trap!

17. Brian in Oregon

I always thought it was Phil Sharpe who said only accurate rifles are interesting. Been a long time since I heard that quote.

The AR15 has (and is) being called a "modular rifle". It is very easy to customize it as you want for a specific or general end use.

It is available in a wide variety of calibers. It is being used more and more for hunting, not only with the original .223 Rem (5.56 NATO) cartridge but also from the .17 HMR and .22 LR rimfires, several different pistol cartridges including 9mm and 45 ACP, to .50 calibers, such as the short .50 Beowulf that cycles the action to the .50 MBR with a bolt action single shot conversion upper. The AR15 is capable of taking any game in North America. Cabelas is selling a Bushmaster upper in 450 Bushmaster that is a ballistic twin of the 45-70 with lighter bullets.

It is available in a wide variety of barrel configurations, most in the 16", 20" and 24" lengths, but many other lengths exist. Barrels also come in a wide variety of weights from ultra-light to very heavy. Material ranges from carbon steel to stainless to chrome-lined.

These rifles can be had with sights, or no sights, just a rail, allowing whatever optics you want.

The furniture comes in plastic, composite, firberglass, carbon fiber, and several types of wood. (I'm thinking about one with walnut stocks just to be different.) The adjustable telestocks allow younger family members or those of shorter stature to shoot the same rifle, by adjusting the length-of-pull to fit. Do a google image search for: <i>wood ar15 stocks</i> and a lot of wood stocked AR15 pics will show up.

The receivers themselves come in forged aluminum (yea!), cast aluminum (boo), billet aluminum, billet stainless steel, and polymer plastic (often in different colors like pink, blue, etc.).

Accuracy can range from average to being precise enough to be the rifle other rifles are judged by for NRA/DCM matches. Varmint hunters have discovered these rifles are excellent for long range accuracy.

This is a modern rifle, capable of being modified at a whim by the owner.

Apparently, though, there are still those who are in the dark ages with prejudices against modern firearms. The irony is that at one time their bolt action rifles were considered unsporting because they were a military design. The question now is either "why do we have so many ignorant gun owners in our ranks?" or "what is their political motivation for denigrating guns used by other law-abiding gun owners?".

And keep in mind that VPC has not only campaigned against rifles that are not accurate enough, but they also want to ban rifles that are too accurate. Like your target, varmint and long range rifles. They'd be happy if all you could own would be a 30-30, and even then they'll work on taking it away too.

18. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Brian, I thought it was Townsend Whelen who said that about only accurate rifles. Then again, I might be wrong...

Anyway, nice rifle there, Rick. Ya done good.

Jerry, also in Oregon

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rambo's may own AR's, but not all AR owners are Rambos.

That was wide sweeping comment with little thought.

Increased accuracy, 3 gun matches, Obama, the anti gun movement, and the fun factor are all reasons the AR platform has grown in popularity.

Rambo has nothing to do with it.

20. oz

oz Active Member

AR's are legos for big boys. Gotta love em. Try other calibers too, ie: 6.8, 308,243, etc. go to AR15,com for lots of info. oz