1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new birds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redcobra, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

At the AGC in MD., we went from orange birds to orange birds with a black ring around the bottom. I find they are a lot harder to visually pick up. Anyone else run into this?
    Alan

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What is the background like?

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We go back and forth at our club. All orange is much better under the lights and against a green tree background. Orange dome is better in the sky. Our background is trees and sky. As is typical with trap shooters, you can't please them all, ever. Mark

4. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

shoot. we've got green birds at mine =/

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes..........

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I find the black rim targets show up better than all orange against a blue or cloudy sky background.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: green birds at mine

A friend just came back from a visit to Calf. and shot green. First time he ever saw them. He shot good scores...

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would like to see an all red target of the same shade as the black rimmed and not the bright flourescent all red target.

9. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Joe Potosky: was he shooting at Redlands by any chance? Thats where I go and they throw green targets. its a very good club.

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

I love black rimmed targets but the international targets are only available in all orange. At our club we proved that scores went up with orange dome vrs all orange.

Wish we could get them.

Tom

11. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I know Oaktree Gun Club in Valencia California throws the green targets. People either love them or hate them. We bought some for a private pot shoot held outside of Bakersfield during the time of the year that the trees were starting to grow their leaves and that was a big mistake. You couldn't see them at all. Huntinandhotrods

12. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I have never shot green. My club shoots the black ring over the winter to shoot against the snow backdrop. 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another.

Chris

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Every time this topic comes up, I tell this story as it is a great way to tell which coloration really is best.

Back in 1999, the PSSA was considering the purchase of automatic traps and changing from all-orange to "New York" targets - orange with just the bottom rim black, not an orange dome, where half the target is black. They invited all the delegates to the PSSA (one per club that throws registered targets in PA) for a morning fun shoot and an afternoon meeting. I drove to Elysburg not wanting any parts of targets with black on them against Elysburg's background but changed my mind real fast.

They had one trap loaded with alternating columns of all-orange and New York targets so every other target you saw was a different coloration. Everyone had to shoot that trap before they did anything else and in one post, 25 targets, I was a fan of the New Yorks. They come out round, not like blurry footballs with tails, and they remain visible if they go through an opening in the trees. I didn't know that's what I was seeing with all-oranges until I got to see the two colors back-to-back. The same experiment would work with orange and green.

At the afternoon meeting, the vote to go to New York targets was unanimous! Only one trap manufacturer accepted the PSSA's invitation to put a trap in one of their houses for us to try, so the only thing we had to vote on regarding traps was whether to buy them or not.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.