1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New binocs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vmeter, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmeter

vmeter TS Member

Looking to purchase some binoculars in the 400 to $500 range. Looking at leupold mojave. Thought maybe you guys would give some input on them, or different brands for the same money. Maybe a comparison website for binocs. Thanks.

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I really like my Leupolds. Totally happy with them for the money.

3. jdhog

jdhog Member

lOOK AT THE Vortex brand they are very nice and life time warrenty.
    jdhog

4. dk

dk Member

I second the suggestion for the Vortex brand. They are clear out to the edges.
    dk

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Best bang for the buck---Nikon's. I have the 10 X 50 Tundra Model. Clear up close or far away.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I typically hunt with Zeiss.

Had a chance to pick up a set of Nikon Monarchs for next to nothing so I got them to leave in the truck. They are pretty good for the buck (used set cost me about $75).

Side by side the Zeiss will win, but the price difference (just under a hundred to just over a thousand) makes me think twice.

I am basing this comparison on low-light usage and clarity, which seems to be the real test of optics.

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I bought the Leupold Mohave after comparing them with other models in the local Cabelas. I have used them for several years and they are as clear with no distortion. I compared them to all the best and they were comparable to my eyes.
    Pat

8. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

vmeter - I have a pair of American made top-of-the-line 10x35 Bausch & Lomb. Nothing made in the USA today like these.

Check p.m.

9. vmeter

vmeter TS Member

Thanks for all the input and the offers. I just bought a slightly used mojave pair for $300.

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have two pair of hunting binoculars. The first is a 9x35 Bausch & Lomb Zephyr I bought in the late '70s. The second is a 10x40 Leupold Cascade I bought about ten years ago. When I go hunting nowadays I wear the Leupold and take the Bausch & Lomb as a backup. The reasons:

1) The Leupold is waterproof and fogproof, the Bausch & Lomb is not;

2) I can use the Leupold while wearing my glasses, but not the Bausch & Lomb, even with the shallow eyecups;

3) The Leupold seems a little better optically to me.

Both are reasonably light and rugged. I use a chest harness on each instead of a neckstrap.

I have a pair of compact Nikon I keep in the truck. One son liked it well enough to use on an elk hunting trip with me instead of the B&L. In my opinion, it is not nearly as good as either the Leupold or B&L. I also got a pair of Burris binoculars that came as a free add-on when I purchased a Burris scope. It was not nearly as good as the Leupold or B&L, but neither was the scope as good as my Leupold VariX-III. I gave that pair to a nephew.

The outfitter I go hunting with uses Swarovski binoculars and spotting scopes. He swears by them, and is amazing at spotting game, but that's how he makes his living after all. I would find it hard to justify the additional cost over my Leupold (including my spotting scope, an old Leupold compact 20x50).

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

Before you buy, look at the Vortex line- extremely good glass for the money.

12. vmeter

vmeter TS Member

I may have made a big mistake. I asked for all your advice, but forgot to say i just started wearing glasses.

13. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Found these on local craigslist today. Been wanting the best for some time. $900 hurt a little but it was a lot less than new retail. Jw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.