Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Beretta auto the Xcel Target Gun

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  OLD ONE EYE 
#1 ·
Was at the Beretta shoot at the Dollar this weekend and they had the new Xcel target auto on display and advailable to demo. It is the only one in the country right now release is around June price est about 1700.00. Bore is around 733 Optima size but has a different choke system in this gun. Has the same short stroke system of the new field gun a steel mag tube and a weight systm on the forend nut to add weight as the field gun is quite light. Gun felt well balanced anodized receiver is advailable with the recoil system as a option. The gun has a hi tech grip cap that has several functions I did not get all the information as to all functions. It gives the tempature 80.6 in Florida today, how many shots fired (1500 plus on this gun) chamber presure, that is the only ones I know of now.

See less See more
#5 ·
From Will Fennell's website (Beretta sponsored shooter). The Beretta site is wrong in stating cartridge pressure (probably an italian to english translation thing):

There were 2 new features that everyone was talking about…..the color of the reciever, and the “GunPod”, which I quickly dubbed the “Gun Odometer”. First, the color….the receiver and mag tube nut( which is adjustable for weight) are blue. Not just a little blue…its neon BLUE. It kinda freaked me out at first, but it grew on me fast. Come’on folks….its an semiauto shotgun for gawds sake! Hell, when I used to shoot a old Beretta 390, it was painted like a bass boat….a little blue on the receiver isn’t going to hurt a thing. But it is BLUE. Second up is the Gun Pod. In the pistol grip of the buttstock is a little LED readout screen, and it will tell you how many rounds have been fired through the gun in its lifetime( like the miles on your car), then you tap the little button, and it will tell you how many rounds you have fired since you reset that particular screen( like the “trip meter” in your car). So now you can keep up with how many rounds you have fired for maintenance, or just to brag how many shells you have run through your blaster. Tap the button a third time, and it will give you a “relative recoil index” value for the last round you fired. Now you can quantitively compared the recoil of various shells! Tap the button one more time, and it will give you the internal temperature of the gun…not sure what we need that for, but its there when you do! All in all, a pretty kewl Gun Pod.

#6 ·
Here's one of berettas stock advertising photos, showing the last feature as "cartridge power". Near as I can gather, this only really gives you a comparison figure from one shell to another, and is not calibrated to any particular recoil scale (since actual recoil is a definite calculable number, and all shells of the same velocity and shot charge will have the same "actual recoil"). Time will tell if they actually gain popularity, but since MSRP shows a $100 savings if you order w/ out the pod, I would guess more people will opt to save the hundred bucks and not have the knowledge of arbitrary and meaningless numbers.

#8 ·
Looks like a remarketed 400 to me. I don't know what I did all those years without that digital grip cap thingymabob, but my fellow shooters do get sick and tired of me constantly asking "hey, what's the temperture at this given moment? I really need to know right now!". That blue receiver looks really bad and I hope they're not all that way.

JMHO

#10 ·
Someone needs to tell Beretta its "BLUED" receiver not "BLUE" receiver. LOL

I don't want any electronic doohickies on my guns. Guns are about the last thing electronics haven't taken over. 'Til now......

Matt

#16 ·
The entire gun looks butt ugly to me. But that is a good thing that all the "older" Beretta autos will still be in high demand. Have to wonder how many of those pods will be broken from damage and never repaired. Or how long they will work to start with. Maybe theywwill be like the teknys blue and green inserts on the sides of the receiver. Like 50.00 each when they fly off. No need for gimmicks on these autos and Beretta keeps trying anyway.

#19 ·
As usual Beretta is behind the market and playing catch up, while flooding the market with gimic guns and inflated prices. As a Beretta owner and fan I say this with love. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see what theyre doing. way too much variety, higher prices, more gimics,,ie; thermometers and colored receivers and more plastic in the guns. ace hardware has stick on small thermometers for $9.95. long way from $1800.00! I think theyre shooting them selves in the foot especially with that UGB.........certainly an exercize in over pricing !

#22 ·
Matt, that old pic is a pic of a metal slide made in around 1955. A user on SGW found these metal slides in his Grandfather's attic. It seems he was at a Browning show in Chicago in 1955. He took pics and had metal slides made from them. These ultra rare one of a kind colors, blue, pink, gold, blood red were often talked about by collectors but had not been verified until these were shown. I guess Browning was smart enough to only make one in blue.
Doug Allison

#24 ·
The real question is how does it shoot. The new gas system is a short throw compared to the older guns this is what will make or break this gun. Berettas are still the most used autos for target shooting. The sporting clays shooters have made it a favorite gun. I am looking forward to shooting it when a release is designed.I liked the step rib as I prefer that over the flat rib barrels. That it does not let you use any of your other Beretta chokes a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.