1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beretta 686 Onyx screwed up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sshotshell, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

I bought a brand new Beretta 686 White Onyx 12 gauge Sporting five days ago. On that day I fired a box of my reloads ( Federal hulls,1oz. 8's, CB2100, 18.8 grains of Promo and 616 (209) Fiocchi primers) with no problems. Today I shot a box of my reloads (AA hulls, 1oz. 8's CB 1100 wads, 18.8 grains of Promo, 616 (209) Fiocchi primers. I experianced a problem in that I loaded two shells, fired one shell and pulled the trigger for the second barrel. It did not fire. I did not hear the pin fall. I was unable to to open the gun, move the barrel selector or place the safety on or off. I tapped the butt with my hand. Nothing! I pointed the barrel in a safe direction and slammed the butt on the ground. I then pointed the muzzle in a safe direction and pulled the trigger. The gun fired. The top leaver worked fine as did the barrel selector and safety. I went on to shoot the rest of the round with no further problems. My question is " Do you think it was my reload or a major problem with the gun?" Serious responces are requested. Thanks in advance. Jerry Felice

2. rustygun

rustygun Member

At least take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out. If the pin didn't fall, it can't be your reloads.

3. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If your gun has inertia triggers it sounds like your reloads did not produce enough recoil to set the secod trigger. HMB

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pull the stock off and check the action for debris. Then clean and oil the action properly. A lot of times there is wood shavings and packing grease in these actions when new that need to be cleaned out (this is normal). If you don't have an air compressor, buy a can or two of that compressed air from the store.

Your reloads should be plenty to reset the trigger. I've had tubes in more than 1 stock 680 series gun and the only ga that wouldn't reset the triggers was the 410.

ss

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Another reason to hate on inertia triggers....

7. leadvail

leadvail Member

I had this happen once or twice. I think I tried to open the gun with the trigger still depressed. Take the stock off and you will see where right below the safety/ seector a latch has slipped out of a notch. Pop it back in where it belongs. I spray the action with carb clean and then rem oil before putting it back together. Bob

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I do not know what Beretta uses but it is similiar to Cosmolene and they put it everywhere, I could not pull the trigger or get the comb to adjust, it was hell getting it all off and relubed to fire a shell. Had to remove the stock and get it out of the trigger assy, it looked like they DIPPED IT and then put it together.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I just bought a new 682 combo and had the same problem. took it to coles gunsmithing and they said it was wood shavings from the factory. they blew it out, oiled it and it has worked fine since. kudos to short shucker on his explaination, he is dead on. good luck. Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
686 barrel reset problems

issues with beretta 686 barrel selector

issus with berrata 686 barrel selecter
my beretta 686 onyx will not shoot shells