1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New bead unscrews.. HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Al 29, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I know, I know, i know, I don't need a bead. You are all correct. But... sometimes my dad likes to shoot my 391 when he's had enough of being beaten up by his Browning Gold.

Anyway... I got a new bead because the other one that I had for 7 years now fall apart somehow.

Anyway... the bead does screw in and bottoms out BUT... its not centered at all. i don;t think Red locktite would work because when I center it, its loose. I think for locktite to work, the thing would have to be bottomed out.

Any suggestions. i was thinking a dab of some High Temp type epoxy like JB Weld but that means its there forever and if it snaps that's the end of any type of bead unless I were to get a clip on type but... I am really doing this so my dad can shoot it once in a while.

Thanks in advance.

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Take a piece of sewing thread and wrap around the bead base until it's centered and snug then cut or burn off the tail. I don't like loc tight to hold my bead centered, if it gets sheared off, it's pain to remove the threaded stud.

Surfer

3. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

You can also place a very small piece of lead under the sight and screw it in until it bottoms out where it's straight.

mkstephen

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Devcon 5 minute epoxy. HMB

5. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Why not put on an anti crossover? Now is the perfect time.

6. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Try Loctite black max

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

use Blue Loctite on threads and center the bead and let it set over night

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Clean the threads with acetone (nail polish remover) or rubbing alcohol and also the tapped hole. Let it dry and then put a Loktite 242 on the threads and install it in all the way down, then back it out to align it straight. Let it dry for 24 hours and it will be tight but can be removed with hand tools later if desired. DO NOT put epoxy or permanent Loktite on it. If your do it will have to be drilled out by a gunsmith. Good luck......Duane

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have a Perazzi MX8 that when I use the screw hole in a High Viz sight,the sight base doesn't align right. Part of the sight base hangs over the front of the muzzle. It is held by Loktite 242 only without a screw so it's flush with the end of the rib. The key is to have clean dry surfaces and it's been holding for nearly 3 years now.

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Blue 242 over the permanent stuff.

ok, I'll do it tomorrow and report back the next.

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Another option is teflon plumbers tape. Enough to tighten the threads and absolutely will not screw up the gun or the bead.

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

There are several different size threads on beads... Are you sure you have the correct bead for your gun?

SW

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same problem on my Gold E. I tried the piece of lead trick, but even the smallest shot was too much. I ended up dropping tiny pieces of thin paper into the hole to "raise" the bottom. I added enough that when I tightened the bead there was some resistance before it was turned to the correct position. Continuing turning compressed the paper and when the bead reached the correct position it had a solid bottom. I never again had trouble with that bead.