1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bongfoo, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongfoo

bongfoo TS Member

hello all. let me start off by saying i'm new to these forums. i've recently been introduced to trap shooting mby a friend. now i'm HOOKED. i've got a quick question though. do you have to break in a new shotgun barrel? if so, what is the proper way to do so? i know how to properly break in a new pistol or rifle barrel, but i plan on getting a decent shotgun (looking at a BT99 possibly)and don't wanna start off the relationship with her all wrong.
    thanks in advanced for your advice!

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Glad to see another concerned with taking are of their equipment. I have never heard of breaking in a shotgun barrel. One thing you should be very careful with on a new gun is to properly lube all the rubbing surfaces to prevent galling. I use a synthetic grease infused with Teflon. Clean and re-lube often until gun starts to loosen a bit. I'm sure some would think it overkill but I clean and lube my guns after every days shooting. It can only do harm if there is insufficient lube. Welcome to the sport. Marc

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bong, I broke in my new Bt-99 with a couple of POI tests, about 20 patterns, (10 with an IM, and 10 with a Full choke) then a 200 bird marathon.

Just make sure it's thoroughly cleaned and lubed, and start shooting. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.