1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Baby Ya Gotta Look

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr.M, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Folks,

Not selling anything this time, just braggin' about a new baby that's recently come home with Papa (or maybe it's Grandpa by now). This little jewel was conceived in Dennis DeVault's office in Canton, Ohio about 18 months ago. Sounds like a long gestation period, but when you get to design the ideal target-killing machine, ya' gotta be patient. None of the gestation time was Dennis's doing, it was all me. The key ingredient was finding just the perfect "blonde" to be the surrogate mother for my new kid. Long ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I had set aside that one stick of broken quilt partial shell flame Maple that I thought would make the most awesome stock and forend set. It was the one stick that had no price and no one (several tried) ever had enough money to pry it from my one good hand (carpal tunnel, long story).

In order for this fantastic stick to go under the knife, I had to have the perfect mate picked out. I thought about putting it on one of my IABs, but they were traditional European guns that demanded modest but strong (dark)English Walnut. I thought about putting it on my MX-3, but the masculine lines demanded a great chunk of California Mayette English Walnut (bold mold lines, honey background with a super fiddle feather). Then I met DeVault, Cindy and crew. Three full rounds of Guggisberg Baby Swiss later, the baby is born!

"Nuff bull, how about some pictures.

[​IMG]

You gotta love a blonde. I know the traditionalists among you are recoiling in horror, but blondes really do have more fun. Infinity #244 that Dennis is too humble to brag about, but I'm not

[​IMG]

Right side of stock. Yes, Dennis has been accused of painting the colors and motion. We have also been accused of wrapping a photo around a piece of plywood and coating it with plastic.

[​IMG]

Left side of stock. It really is wood. It really does burn.

[​IMG]

Forend, showing rib detail and receiver. Second forend with schnable design is on the way.

[​IMG]

Grip area showing Cindy's talent at both design and execution of checkering.

[​IMG]

Left side of grip showing both Cindy's great skill and the signature dove-tailed grip cap design unique to DeVault Industries. The cap wood is a contrasting piece of Tiger Stripe Myrtle perfectly cut by Dennis's crew with the stripes running across the cap. The Tiger Myrtle cap grew within 1/2 mile of the Maple that yielded the stock. Together again................

Baby's home and Grandpa is feeling better about crushing clays every day. Thanks to DeVault Industries for the exhaustive fitting sessions and the outstanding finishing on a great gun.

Mike Mann ATA Life 07-34685 PITA Life 01630 NRA Benefactor

2. WWB

WWB Member

Awfully nice and really good pics----what kind of camera?
    You won't even have to shoot it--just stroll up and down with that over your shoulder......fun to get something new and pretty ain't it!!
    Bill

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Simply gorgeous!

4. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Mike, that's a dandy. You were right to keep that chunk of wood til you found just the right gun to deserve it. Beautiful.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

DITTO!!!!

6. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

WOW!!!!

7. TjayE

TjayE Member

The wood is just gorgeous, but the checkering is out of this world. I give Cindy's work an AAA+. She does outstanding checkering. A word for Dennis - better keep her on the payroll. Thanks for sharing this with TS.com viewers. Tom E.

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

WOW!!!

Simply magnificent.

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

No words can describe it. That is simply a work of art.

10. Landshark

Landshark Member

Now that's a sweet looking trap gun!

11. Mr.M

Rotten...

The camera is a Canon Powershot A470. I bought a photo printer a year ago at Radio Shack because I send "before" pictures with every blank I sell. The camera came in the box with the printer and was a complete bonus! I paid something like $129.00 for the whole shootin' match. Ain't technology wonderful.

Mike

12. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Mike,
    I didn't know that you shot left handed. Now are you gonna shoot it or just look at it.

Ed Yanchok

13. lju

lju Member

Very nice Mike!! I hope you shoot it well.

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Mike- FANTAAZZZTICCCCCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it! Best regards, Jeff

15. Mr.M

Ed,

Blind since birth in the right eye. Real challenge to binocular vision. Had to see Avatar in 1D, because without one eye things are really screwed up. I'll be shooting it this weekend in Fortuna, California.

Gary,

I'm looking for another chunk of "Window pane Myrtle" for your old K-80. I'll let you know when and if I ever find one big enough for a stock. Fantastic Stuff, huh!

Regards to all, Mike Mann

16. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for those photos and I have a couple more pieces of burl maple that we are working on. When my cad guy returns full time I have a project for the piece of wood I just got from you and I promise it will be very unusual when done. Thank you again for showing our work.

Dennis DeVault & the Crew

17. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Set up just for me...I'm a lefty??? I wouldn't expect anything different from Dennis and Cindy....AWESOME WORK!!!

18. dimapower

dimapower Member

Very nice - great to see more pics being posted.

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Mike I will have to say you have a pretty nice looking Blonde and Dennis done a nice job of making her look beautiful.

But I love the black Head's more than the Bimbo blondes

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/shooting/skunkgrade/?action=view&current=skunk11.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

It seems that the black headed ones are more of a keeper while the blondes want's to look good in public and before you know it, Poof she is gone in the hand's of another man!!

Hope you will be able to hang on to her until you are pounding out the 100 and 200 straight's but don't be surprised if someone else might want to steal her away from you I guess you will have to ask a huge price for her if someone was interested in her ok with me I don't have to many wanting to steal my baby from me she is a country girl gun and not to flashy if you know what I mean.

I can see us being together for atleast a 50 year annervisary we have already been together for I know of 27 years.

Im sure Blondes have more fun but don't let her out of your sight because she may be having more fun with someone else.

Foghorn220

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

devault infinity 229