1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Auto 5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by beretta1340, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beretta1340

beretta1340 TS Member

Has anyone seen this? I am starting a savings jar tonight!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/2011/10/browning-resurrects-humpback-its-new-a5-shotgun#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWknoTR3Pg&feature=player_embedded

2. beretta1340

beretta1340 TS Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWknoTR3Pg&feature=player_embedded

3. beretta1340

beretta1340 TS Member

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/2011/10/browning-resurrects-humpback-its-new-a5-shotgun

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oh my. This may have just vaulted to the top of my "things I want, just because" list.

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Calling it an "A5" is blasphemy. A6 or any other name would have been better.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have 3 of the old reliable B-made guns. They are a proven gun in the history of duck hunting. I have always said Browning made a BIG MISTAKE when they stopped making it. Now they are coming out with this new model. I would like to see and know how it does in salt water duck hunting with someone who takes people out most of the season. So far I like what I see but time will tell if its worth anything like the older guns.

8. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I have to agree with DoubleAuto, they should have called it something else. It has brought back memories for me. I was 12 years old and wanted the Browning A5 so bad, my father told me if I would pay for half of it he would pay the other half. I threw them papers and saved all my tips, shoveled snow in the winter and cut grass in the summer until finally I had enough money to pay the full amount for it. It took me almost two years to get the money, that was 45 years ago and I still have the gun today. Thanks for the memories Rick

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Original on top, new model on bottom.

Stock design is certainly an improvement.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure I "get" the aversion to the name. Ford reintroduced the Mustang a few years ago, Chevy the Camaro, Chrysler the Challenger. Seems OK to me.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wonder what an A-5 cost when they first came out?

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Everyone should have an A-5 in their collection. These may not be the greatest target guns ever but they are good shooters.

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a 1960 light twelve 26 I.C. gun about 95% I would sell for $700.beautiful Gun. Jeff

14. FIB

FIB Member

I'm 47. I remember hunting in the mid-late 70's when if you saw someone carrying a A5 in the field you thought they had money. 1100's were the working man's semi but the A5 was like driving a Cady.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The round knob to me just has class and taste. I love a round knob on a stock.

In time I want to buy a 16ga and a 20 ga just to have them. Sorry that I didn't so 20 years ago.

My friend who lived on the bay went to a gun shop and wanted to buy a A5. He looked at a standard 2 3/4 gun and asked what the price was. He was told the price. He kept looking and then picked up the 3" A5 and asked what the price was. He was told the price and then said he would take it. The gun was written up and he paid for it. When he got in his boat the sales person came running after him saying "HEY I told you the wrong price on that gun". My friend just smiled and said "Sorry but its paid for and thanks". The sales person thought he was asking about the 2 3/4 gun and not the 3" gun. My friend got the 3" gun for the price of the 2 3/4 gun. OOOOPPPPSSS. LOL I'm sorry to say that he died of cancer about 4 years ago. The gun I'm happy to say went to his grandson who is also a duck hunter and will keep the gun till he leaves theis world and gives it to his son.

He used that gun for a good 30 years plus. He took people out for many years duck hunting and the gun started to stick and shoot only one shell at a time unless you pulled the bolt back and let it go. When he came up to my place to deer hunt we took the gun to our local gunsmith. He was told to go over the gun and clean it. He also had a year to do so when my friend was coming back to deer hunt next year. Well that time came around and he had the gun ready. He the gunsmith asked what do you on the bay use to oil down your guns? He said WD40. NO NO NO DO NOT USE THAT ON A GUN. Why because in time it will build up and harden and its not that easy to remove. Second I took out about 40 acers of dirt out of your gun. Other then that the gun was fine. I forgot what it cost but it was worth it.

You all have to know that people on the bay who duck hunt and take people out to duck hunt don't baby their gun. Its a tool and not a show piece and they work their guns and hard.

16. seitz647

seitz647 Member

I have 4 REAL A5's - why does a company revamp something that was probably one of the best auto loaders ever built - I understand it cost more to produce - if they had any brains they would have re introduced the new with the old - they should not call it an A5, marketing trying to capture market on something that was very succesful - its just like the cenergy - not even close to a citori - if its not broken dont fix it!!!! find another way to sell it

17. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I never had an A5 but hunted with guys that did. Duck hunting in Michigan during cold damp weather almost always had these guys ready to throw their A5's in the lake. Guns would fire the first shot just fine but frequently would not feed another shell into the chamber. They tried with lube and dry. Seemed to make no difference. I know that when looking at the parts and machine work on an A5 they looked to be superior to our 1100's but our 1100's functioned properly nearly all the time. Nothing against Brownings, I currently have three, just never wanted an A5. Marc

Let the hate mail begin (LOL)

18. seitz647

seitz647 Member

Some people just dont know how to take care of stuff, never read directions or know what size shells there shooting - the A5 is probably they most reliable auto ever made - hands down - how many A5's are out there and still in sevice?

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I bought a used one as my first shotgun. Must have been around 1959 when I got out of the service.

It had the safety in the front of the trigger guard, or maybe I should say part of the trigger guard. It was too convenient.

You took the safety off by pushing forward with your trigger finger. The only trouble was, if it was cold and you were wearing gloves, sometimes you hit the safety off and then hit the trigger right afterwards. That got to be a little scary. Mainly for the fact that it had a hair trigger to boot.

I finally traded it off, but it was a pretty nice gun.

Just not much for shooting trap, which I never tried with this gun.

Hauxfan!

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've got a challenge for all of you:

Your task is to design and hand build a product which, on the day it gets introduced, will be a cutting-edge, premium product - at, or near the top of its class of similar products. Difficult?...

Now the hard part... your new product has to generate consumer demand and be successfully sold for almost a a hundred years. And this has to take place during the century of technological advances so staggering that man went from barely being able to fly at all to standing on the moon and sending probes into deep space. Medicine went from blood-letting via leaches to full heart/lung and facial transplants. While all this was going on your new product has to survive changing market demands, competive designs and modernized manufacturing methods and still attract customers all the while having virtually zero design change.

That is what John Browning accomplished with his Auto-5. Think about how staggering an accomplishment that was.

I'm afraid to look at the "new" one for fear of being offended or disgusted. Is it safe to look?

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.