1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ATA yardage rule change

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dirk, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirk

dirk Member

What is the exact rule regarding the ATA yardage difference in handicap events? It used to be maximum difference of two yards between shooters ( first shooter 25yds & second shooter 27), or three yards on the squad. Example - 27,25,24,25,27. It is my understand that there is a new rule regarding this.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't think that there was any change. Some clubs and/or cashiers find it easier to minimize the yardage differences for ease of squadding.

Ed Yanchok

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

There was a change, but it only affects the shorter yardage shooters.

See the link above and click on the yardage link or see the ATA website.It has the info there as well.

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Not quite right - no more than three yards difference on a squad, not more than two yards difference on adjacent posts, except "When squadding 18,19 & 20
    yard shooters, there shall be no more than one yard difference between
    adjacent shooters in the squad and no more than a total difference of
    two yards in a squad." (Rule IV G 2 page 14).

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't believe that's a change. It was that way for years.

Ed Yanchok

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The rule used to include only the 18 yard line. The 19 and 20 yard lines were added at the last BoD General Meeting (12Aug2010).

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It is also causing minor confusion at the squadding desk at shoots. It won't take long to make he short yardage shooters understand.

Bob Lawless

8. NintyT

NintyT Member

The only trouble I've noticed is when an 18 yd shooter signs up at a relatively small shoot where he is the only 18 or 19 yarder. That shooter can only shoot with 2 other 20 yard shooters, as he would have to leave the posts on either side empty due to the "1 yard on adjacent posts" provision. Those 20 yarders may prefer to shoot on a full squad.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

NintyT I have noticed that when you have two or more shooters(in this case three)that have shot together for some time sign up. One will say I will take post three(20yds)the next will say give me post four. He is at 22yds when you tell him that he can have post five or post one and explain the rule change he says oh OK and makes a choice. The third shooter falls right in line and take what is left to him he is at 22 also.

You have now blocked the squad there is only one you can fill the two open spots(one shooter at 20yds and two at 22yds)the only yardage that now fits on post two and post four is 21yds or you get a short squad. In some cases the shooters that want the spot but won't fit will give you an slight argument until you get them to understand. So there will be a slight adjustment period until everyone understands exactly what the rule means.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.