1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ATA Shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rum River, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

A new convert. My son's friend has been shooting trap with the 4-H Shooting Sports program, using one of the clubs Mossberg pumps.

We convinced her to try ATA. So I found a Beretta 303 stock cheap at a show and managed to modify it to fit my 390. I cut it to her length and put a Morgan pad on it.

Her first shoot last weekend she shot 81 on singles and I think 84 or something on 20 yard handicap. When the events were over she says "Wow, for a change I don't hurt after shooting trap!"

Yesterday she asked when the next shoot was, she doesn't want to miss any shoots OR targets.

Dan

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A big thumbs up for both you and her. On her part, good shooting and great attitude. On your part way to step up and help a young person with good equipment!

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Dan, welcome to your son's friend from the ATA. And good work getting her into a semi-auto; that's the right thing to do. Check that handicap yardage however; it should be nineteen yards it seems to me.

Neil

4. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Neil,

We are confused about the yardage too. I had bought the membership for her as a Christmas gift, and had the ATA mail the plastic membership card and average card to her weeks/months ago. The yardage on the average card was 20 yards.

After Sunday's events were over, the guy that classified us wondered why it was 20 instead of 19. Our new shooter's attitude was something like "I'm happy with my score, what's the big deal about 3 feet?".

By the way, we were at Del-Tone Sunday just like you. My biggest problem of the day was that I couldn't blame my poor scores on the weather. My son struggled with singles (87), but shot 92 and 93 on handicap and doubles.

Dan

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

That is odd as the 2007 rule book seems to clearly state "new lady shooter" assigned 19 yards.... maybe penalty yardage was assigned???

JC

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Dan, please email me at nwinston@minn.net and I'll straighten the yardage problem out. Until she gets a new card (or I email you to the contrary) she should continue to shoot from the 20. But not for long . . .

Neil

7. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Neil,

I haven't forgotten, just trying to play telephone tag to obtain her ATA
    number.

Thanks!

Dan

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It is all up to the classifier ... the rule book allows the classifier to assign her anywhere the classifier decides to put her. You got shafted by the classifier but the rule book allowed it to happen.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Newbius, thats only for singles and doubles as a rule with the handicap only being done so in case of penalty yardage which must be so stated in the shoot program. Seems an oversight by the ATA office is all.

10. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Neil,

Sent you an e-mail.

Thanks!

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.