1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ATA shooter

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by 12ShotTwo, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm going to jump in and shoot for the first time at the Tuscon event. I know I have lots to learn but can you guys tell me how I am to be classified for the handicap event. I read in the ATA rules (page 23) as a new shooter I shoot from 20yds but in the Spring grand publications under classification and handicap it seems to say I will shoot for 23yrds. Which is it? Thnaks Joe

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

It will be penalty yardage as stated in the program unless you want to shoot targets only. Welcome to trapshooting, a great sport for anyone of any age. It is a lifelong sport and you can make many many new friends. Again, welcome.

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

New shooters are give penalties!! What a welcome! What does it mean to "shoot targets only"? Joe

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Targets only means when you win you get nothing. It's part of the new shooter welcome. Have fun. HMB

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Joe, the reason for penalty classification is that your ability has not been determined. That being said, Just go with the flow, and enjoy yourself. When you have shot enuff targets, you will be handicaped according to your averages and will give you a guide to how you are doing. It is hard to start at a major tourney but it is always a lot of fun. It would be even better if you had someone to go with you. An experienced shooter would be ideal as they could show you the ropes. Relax and enjoy the experience. All of us have gone through the same thing when it comes to setting our averages. It's just the way it is
    Good luck and shoot well.

Bob

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Thanks for your comments, I'll know a few people from my home club there as well as some from TS. As Bob said relax and enjoy, I will. Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.