1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ATA Rules 1/1/2012

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The new ATA rules set out by the EC are now available on the ATA website as a pdf as shown on the link above.

2. white rattler

white rattler Member

So what do you think Mike? Trevor Dawe

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno, Trevor: Starting in reverse sequence I believe the FTF rule for the 2nd bird in Doubles is a good thing because it mirrors the common sense rule that PITA has had for years. With regard to Handicap Reduction of 2 yards it is Not clear if this applies to an average spanning 2 Target Years or just the latest Target Year 2012 ? I would accept a Reduction to the 24 but no closer.

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I bet we can come up with some interesting names for the Ladies II class! AJ

5. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

The FTF rule for doubles is interesting. It gives you a chance to pick up the second bird instead of a lost pair. I like it. Although I have never had any FTF on my second shot thus far.

Jason in PA

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

This new DBL/FTF rule helps the semi-auto guys a bunch. Beacause it is blatantly obvious on a semi-auto when second shell does not feed.

As far as yardage reduction, I still don't understand who makes the call. Do we get notified via mail? At my next ATA shoot do I ask for it? What is the proceedure?

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If I were you I would shoot where you are until notified. And it isn't going to happen overnight be patient.

Don

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Go into the website and print a copy.

Don

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

391 Shooter -

The rulebook covers the procedure for yardage reductions. You might consider either going to the ATA site or getting a hardcopy rulebook, there's a lot of good info in there.

Scott

F. SPECIAL HANDICAP RULES
    1. A shooter must continue to shoot from the last yardage assigned or earned until he/she receives a new Average Card with his or her reduced yardage indicated on it. The ATA Shooter Information Center may be used as evidence of a reduction with verification by a member of the Central Handicap Committee, a voting member of the Executive Committee or the shooters State or Provincial Delegate. Electronic Printed Average Cards will be accepted when available from the ATA Web Site.

10. Shawn

Shawn Member

Well the ATA site shows I have received a 2 yard reduction.

I guess I just have to wait for the letter to show up in my mail box.

Shawn

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wow! I last shot caps on 10/21/2011 from the 27. Now I've received 3 yds of reduction. Guess I should talk to my delegate....

Jim chapman

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

BigM,

You got a reduction on November 10, 2011 to the 26. And now you've gotten 2 yards off of that (if you accept the offer). That's how you got to the 24 (at the moment).

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The new 2 yard reduction is not mandatory. It will be offered by the ATA and can be refused by the shooter as in the past.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Vv10, I understand the how's, i'm not sure about the why's nor what I honestly should accept. Can I take the 1 but not the2? Or the 2 and not the 1?

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jim,

If you've accepted the November reduction, you could take just 1 yard of the offered 2 yards.

That would put you on the 25 and you could still shoot on a 27-yard squad.

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Doesn't it just make you feel all giddy inside, seeing so many good shooters, and so many sandbaggers, moving forward?

17. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

V10

I have not seen the official rules changes yet from the ATA, just what is on the link above. My question is on the special category declaration? According to the above link the declaration can now be made by the shooter or shoot management, looks to be a possibility for a lot of confusion. maybe a check box for the shooter to decline the special category. I can't see the reason for the change.

Robert

18. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Robert,

I don't see the part you mention where shoot management can make a declaration for a shooter, so you'll have to point out the exact phrase you're referring to.

The change to the rule was to add the three new categories (Junior Gold, Sub Vet, and Lady I/II), plus any wording changes that were required because of these additions.

19. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

V10 It is on page 2 on the trap and field link from the first post.

Once any declarations have been made either by a shooter or shoot management, the declaration is final
    and cannot be changed. There shall be no exception to this rule.

This is a copy and paste from the link.

Robert

20. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Robert,

The section you are looking at is with regard to declaring which trophy you are going to shoot off for, not whether you will declare a special category. Shoot management can't force you to declare a special category if you don't want to declare for category when you are classified.

It's just saying that shoot management can make shoot off/trophy decisions if the shooter doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.