1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ATA help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

As a new shooter Im having trouble understanding some ATA stuff...maybe you guys can help me figure it out. In my area the is limited opportunities for registered targets...so Ill probably do most shooting @ larger shoots. Im guessing I would fall under a D class.
    In reading the programs for many shoots, unless you have X # of target in the previous 1 or 2 years, you are assessed a penalty. One listed that you shoot in A class, and 25yds for caps.
    So.......If I acquire most of my targets from penalty yardage, once my target requirement is met, and I get an official classification....how can it be an accurate assesment of my level of skill.

Maybe this is less complicated than I think?? Can someone lead me in the right direction??

Thx

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It has never made any sense. HMB

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

The first time I shot at penalty yardage,I got a 1/2yd. withan 88, a week or two before the Grand.
    Many years ago.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"Look around and try to find more club shoots. Where do you live? Maybe someone here can help. "

NE Ohio. Closest club I can find for registered in over 100 mi round trip.

5. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"It has never made any sense. HMB "

ok...Just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Mikk....look no further.....check out Monroe Sportsmans Club up by Conneaut. Lots of shoots....lots of fun.....great targets and friendly people. They welcome new shooters and its just a great place.............Uncle Sam

7. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"Dude, I'm not from there, but I was in NE Ohio last summer (near Canton), and there were trap clubs all over the place. Where exactly are you? Somebody help this guy find a club.

EE "

Canton is probably 75mi NE of me.

Conneaut is about a 140 mi one way.

I used the ATA website. North Lawrence Fish and Game is the closest.@ 49 mi.

Theres a few small clubs @ a reasonable distance...<30 mi. but they dont do registered birds anymore. Most did at one time...but said it was too much trouble.

Im about 45 NE of Columbus, 25 mi S of Mansfield. Trust me guys , Ive checked...just seems to be kind of a "dead zone"

Im real close to Cardinal...about 25 mi. but they do the big shoots....I thing they had a total of 3 shoots scheduled this year. Its a shame such a great facility sits empty for so much time. They have practice for a few hours a couple times a week...just dont do many reg shoots.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

mikkeeh

If you live in Cardinal with zip code 44062, there are 2 clubs that have registered shoots within 25 miles from you. There are two other clubs that do not. Within 50 miles from you, there are 5 clubs holding registered shoots.

Go to the ATA web site and use the search on their web site that will find clubs within various distances from the zip code you enter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.