1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ATA classification - "Factory Stock"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stu Pidash, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

How about a new ATA classification as "Factory Stock".

If you use an aftermarket choke tube you cannot shoot in this class.

If you use an aftermarket recoil pad you cannot shoot in this class.

You can only shoot your gun exactly as it came from the factory.

Now this is where it would get a little funky though. Factory Class would mean no stock modifications either, no factory adjustable pads or combs either but ya never know, possibly some sort of handicapping of the rules for those who think they cannot shoot a plain ole everyday factory gun.

I think it would be great to see all those shooters that have a modified gun of some sort have to shoot all against themselves lumped into one group with no Class A or B or C or D or 20yd or 22yd or 25 yd or 27 yd classifications. They are all in one group and will compete as one group and from the 16yd singles line and the 25yd handicap line, yep ya modify your gun at all and that is where you will be.

There still though is that problem of buying your say 1100 off the shelf with an adjustable comb from the factory. What do you think? Should that shooter be in the modified or the factory stock class? Personally I think Factory Stock should be non-adjustable anything and no modifications at all and that includes release triggers. If all you change is a pull to release you are no longer factory stock and you need to shoot in the modified class.

So what do you think? How many shooters would shoot Factory Stock and be successful at it or do you think it is all the gun and not really shooter?

Now what about the shells? Factory only or should reloads be allowed in the Factory Class?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

New ATA classification -

I shoot a factory made stock, it is called a Precision Fit Stock. Many of the higher grade guns are made by factories that sub-contract making the stock to custom stock makers.

Guess we would have a hard time defining the term "factory made stock".

Pat Ireland

3. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

New ATA classification -

Easy to answer that question Mr Ireland.

You would fall under the Modified classification. Your stock was an option, your stock is adjustable so it would fall under the Modified classification.

If the stock were to be adjustable or made to eaxcting measurements you provide to them than it would be in the Modified classification no matter what. No beating around the bush. If the manufacture you get the gun from aint set up to run that exact same gun over and over and over and over again without changing a single thing than it aint Factory Stock.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

New ATA classification -

I can see it now, 200 Singles; 200 HC and 100 Doubles. Then we could call the event the "Mossberg 500"!

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

New ATA classification -

Hey dumbash,

Use better bait next time. What you're using now is a little old.

ec90t

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

New ATA classification -

Mr. Brooks....Nascar has that now.......not one car can make it one round without breaking !!!!............Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

New ATA classification -

Stu Pidash

"How about a new ATA classification as "Factory Stock"."

How about a new class for guy who wear "Cutoff Jeans" as apposed to "Bermuda Shorts". Maybe a class for those under 200 pounds instead of over 200 pounds. what do you think. We could even have a class for those that don't eat breakfast before they shoot in the morning. Or a class for those that wear their cap back wards what do you think?

Personally I think we already have enough classes without new one that favor restrictions on equipment. Just my opinion you understand.

Bob Lawless

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

New ATA classification -

In NRA smallbore rifle competition they have free rifle and standard rifle classes. In high power rifle they have the service rifle class which is an unaltered military rifle. Similar idea to what Stu is talking about.

Pat,

Stock means unaltered. HMB

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

New ATA classification -

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Fishing for minnows.
    -Trappy

10. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

New ATA classification -

Both of my guns are as they came from the factory one is a Y model 12 and the other a BPS Micro after a 27 year lay off I can pick up either of the guns and shoot consistent 23/24 with them, probably with a few mods here and there and could do consistent 25's/100's with either.

That is not really my goal I love shooting the Oakley's and will soon be getting back to doing that on a regular basis....anyone have a receipt for some good 40 yd loads.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

New ATA classification -

In NRA smallbore rifle competition they have free rifle and standard rifle classes. In high power rifle they have the service rifle class which is an unaltered military rifle. Similar idea to what Stu is talking about.

Pat,

Stock means unaltered. HMB

12. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

New ATA classification -

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Fishing for minnows.
    -Trappy

13. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

New ATA classification -

Both of my guns are as they came from the factory one is a Y model 12 and the other a BPS Micro after a 27 year lay off I can pick up either of the guns and shoot consistent 23/24 with them, probably with a few mods here and there and could do consistent 25's/100's with either.

That is not really my goal I love shooting the Oakley's and will soon be getting back to doing that on a regular basis....anyone have a receipt for some good 40 yd loads.

14. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

New ATA classification -

CharlesK80...I'm serious and you want to be a rodeo clown,[​IMG] I want to get more than two shots in......[​IMG] Sit down and shut up with the smart remarks.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

New ATA classification -

Why they have a Dumb ass class and you could be the first one entered.

Don

16. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

New ATA classification -

Here I thought I ran off one clown and the next thing you know BigDon appears.
    [​IMG]

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

New ATA classification -

If you are as good as you say you are why do you need special loads for 40 yds?? That's just an average trap shot. You must be looking in the mirror when thinking of clowns.

Don

18. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

New ATA classification -

Don the special loads are for the second, third, and fourth shots.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

New ATA classification -

I kinda like the concept. Wish there were a class for exposed hammer shotguns, and another for side by sides. But like all "racing", Perrazi, Ljutic, or somebody else would probably come out with a very high dollar and very good exposed hammer trapgun.

20. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

New ATA classification -

Lets carry this alittle further and have a special Category for Left Hand Shooters. The only shooters in their "Right Mind".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata gun factory

ata shooter classification

ata shooterclasses
ata teap shooting classification