1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new at reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wiedllandexpress, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiedllandexpress

wiedllandexpress TS Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just bought a pacific DL-366 in great shape and loaded shells for trap shooting on last sunday. i used allient american select powder. i am used to my buddies reloads using green dot powder .i shot a 21 on each house but the shells seemed light. when we got home we cut apart the shells and weighed the powder in his and mine. he has 18. 5 grains in his shells i had 17 grains in mine. i disassembled the loader and found it has a 441 powder bushing in it. my question is how much bigger do i have to go in bushing size to get 18.5 grains of powder in my shells?
    thanks mike wiedl

2. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

What your doing is a huge no no. You need to got to the Alliant web site and find a published load that suits your needs. Powders are different in the amount needed to acheived the same fps and pressures for various shot charges. Always know before hand how much powder your machine is droping and only use published loads to be safe. Reloading should be taken very seriously and not done in a hap hazard fashion. Be safe and enjoy. Josh Andersen

3. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

If you don't have a powder scale, GET ONE ! you cannot go by bushing size as a absolute to measurement. get a bushing chart, remember these are just a starting guide for grains dropped, weighting them is the only sure way to get it right and be safe. good shooting.

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Mike I hate to be so BLUNT, but you need a LOT more info to work up a correct and SAFE LOAD, all power manufactures have web sites and i suggest that you go there and start reading, the path that you are on now is going to get you HURT and maybe others, their charts will tell you First : what hull are you using, second : what Primer are you using, third what wad are you using, forth " what powder and the right amount, and what amount of shot, You cant just put in a larger bushing, Bushings drop different amounts of powder from Brand to brand and you have to have the correct bushing for the powder that you are using, also the correct wad for the amount of shot and the correct powder.... Then go to Hornadys web site and there you will find a Powder bushing chart that tell you what amount of powder that each bushing drops for each Brand and type of powder,,,,,, If you choose not to follow this advice Please let me know where you are shooting SO THAT I CAN STAY AWAY. LOL ( Lots of Luck )
    and as the above post sais "" GET A SCALE "

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you need to do Mike is get a loading manual or data from the Alliant web site. This will tell you how much powder should go with the other components you are using. Then look at the bushing chart from your data source to determine which bushing to use, finally verify the bushing is throwing the correct charge by weighing the charge. Get a balance if you don't have one and use it everytime you start a loading session.

Now all that said, I can tell you that 441 bushing will work great with International Clays and 1 1/8 Oz shot charges. But since you don't know me and therefore can't trust my advice, you should go through the verification process as described above.

Not trying to be a pain but there is a serious safety concearn with what you were doing. Have fun and stay safe.

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

All of the above plus check the weight of your powder drops when you get a new batch of powder. I've had powder drops vary as much as 2 grains when changing powder "Lots". I try to buy enough powder to last me a year, all with the same lot number. That way, I only have to check and cronograph my shells only once a year.

Ed Yanchok

7. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Get a buddy that has reloading experience to go over things with you. Unless your buddy is an idiot of course, I have a few that are fun to be with but don't take them too serious.

Like said in the threat above use a scale, also bushings by the chart are approximate at best. Weight the charge until you get a consistent drop of powder each time. And powders of the same kind but different lots will sometimes vary so weigh every new lot at lease.

Then go bigger or smaller bushing wise until you get as close to without going over the actual retail charge listed.

rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.