1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New anti-gun term - Lauer Special

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    OK, so WHO was it that squeaked up here about "reasonable" gun control being OK?<br>
    <br>
    Wisconsin gun dealer relishes role as Mayor Mike Bloomberg's nemesis<br>
    <br>
    BY ADAM LISBERG<br>
    DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF<br>
    <br>
    Saturday, September 27th 2008, 9:58 PM<br>
    Giancarli for News<br>
    <br>
    Wisconsin gun dealer Steve Lauer holds machine gun painted in "Furious Mike" red.<br>
    <br>
    CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. - Somewhere in the pile of outgoing packages at his gun emporium, Steve Lauer knows there may be an undercover purchase Mayor Bloomberg hopes to use to shut him down - and he doesn't care.<br>
    <br>
    "We'll take their money," said Lauer, proprietor of Lauer Custom Weaponry, which sells kits for painting guns that are illegal in New York, making him the target of an active investigation.<br>
    <br>
    (RELATED: COMPANY AT WAR WITH MIKE BLOOMBERG NAMES GUN PAINT IN HIS HONOR)<br>
    <br>
    "They can't stop us from shipping it," he said, adding that he has hundreds of city customers. "He cannot govern interstate commerce. He'd like to, but he can't."<br>
    <br>
    Ever since the city banned brightly colored guns in 2006, saying cops and kids might mistake them for toys, Lauer has relished his role as the pistol-packing provocateur of one of America's biggest gun opponents.<br>
    <br>
    He marketed a line of bright colors called the "Bloomberg Collection," sold hundreds of graffiti-style patterns for five-borough themed machine guns, and just introduced a bright-red shade called "Furious Mike."<br>
    <br>
    All the publicity has helped double his business - he said he added five employees in the last two years - and getting arrested would be even better.<br>
    <br>
    "I can only hope. Then I'd be on the national news all the time. Nothing would be better," said Lauer, who hopes Bloomberg tries to win a third term.<br>
    <br>
    Lauer has set up a Bloomberg corner in his gleaming showroom with mayoral quotes twinkling on an electronic display, "I (heart) Mayor Bloomberg" buttons, and a rainbow of bright gun paints. He also sells high-end silencers and machine guns. Average price: $3,400.<br>
    <br>
    Lauer spent seven years developing his DuraCoat line of gun finishes, which protect firearms from corrosion and wear. Half of his business is traditional colors like black and drab green, he said.<br>
    <br>
    He said the ban on vibrant tints hasn't deterred hundreds of city purchasers or even the NYPD - which as recently as Sept. 11, 2007, ordered $645 worth of paint and equipment.<br>
    <br>
    NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said the agency's sniper teams bought kits for painting black, white and gray urban camouflage on rifles while the ballistics lab needed three half-ounce bottles of "electric lavender" gun paint to see how they performed in forensics tests.<br>
    <br>
    Lauer said if the city had just asked him, he probably would have voluntarily agreed not to sell to city customers.<br>
    <br>
    But after Bloomberg held up red and yellow DuraCoat-painted guns at a news conference, saying anyone who sold them was "sick" and "twisted," the battle was joined.<br>
    <br>
    Lauer has not visited New York - and never wants to. "It would be a scary thought for me to go where you live without a gun," he said. "I think you're a sitting duck if you don't have a gun."<br>
    <br>
    Lauer freely admits that his world view is colored by living in a world of people who think like him, but says his many cop customers agree with him that no one would ever mistake a colored handgun for a toy.<br>
    <br>
    "They all tell me, 'You point anything that even resembles a gun at me, I'm gonna shoot you,' " he said.<br>
    <br>
    Bloomberg spokesman Jason Post said cops facing down a pink or purple pistol shouldn't have to make a split-second judgment on whether it's a toy or a Lauer special.<br>
    <br>
    "There are a lot of ways to make a buck," he said, "but hawking a product that the FBI, ATF and NYPD have warned can endanger the lives of police officers is nothing to be proud of."<br>
    <br>
    alisberg@nydailynews.com

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

In Cary, North Carolina, a policeman shot a mentally ill man who pointed a BB-gun at him. So this guy Lauer can think it's so cute to make it harder for policeman to tell a real gun from a toy, because he doesn't care how many innocent people might die because of it.

What about those of us who have CCW permits? Are some of us going to kill some kid or mental patient who threatens us with a toy gun?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.