1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New and need help with ATA registered targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by NU2Shooting1027, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Hey everyone, I am new to shooting trap and was wondering what all is involved with shooting registered ATA scores. I see that almost every tournament requires you to have atleast XXX amount of registered targets shot. My question is what does the ATA consider a registered target? I normally shoot 4 rounds at a rod & gun club on tuesdays and then 4 rounds at a skeet & trap club on sundays. Do all scores that I shoot at these places count as registered targets? I am by no means anywhere close to being ready to shoot tournaments but if and when the time comes I want to make sure I have everything right. The trap & skeet club offers to have registered skeet rounds shot if they are scheduled with a club officer but there is no mention of them offering registered trap targets. I feel kind of like an idiot if I go up to the counter and ask them whats the deal so I figured I would pose the question on here.

Thanks,
    Allan

2. Twixter

Twixter Member

Allen; Maybe I can help a little. I'm by no means an expert on the subject but 35 yrs should count for something.

Registered targets are targets that are shot at a shoot registered with the A.T.A. Only members of the A.T.A. may shoot at these shoots. The A.T.A. has guodelines set up for anyone to start with. You will be classified by the shoot management. Please do not feel strange asking management at a registered shoot about this . I think you will find them very helpful in all aspects of this. Any other questions you have I might be able to answer please feel free to contact me. twixter@verizon.net.

Good Luck shooting. A finer bunch of people you'll not find in any other sport.
    Mick

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you do not see a schedule for ATA registered shoots on the club bulletin board your club may not throw ATA registered targets. No harm in asking around the trap field. If you are not yet an ATA member the targets you are shooting are most likely not registered.

The link above will take you to the ATA home page. On the left side click on the link Clubs and Shoots. You can find the nearest club to you that throws ATA registered targets.

Jason

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Allan you might want to let some on this site know where you live area wise and I am sure someone would meet you at a shoot and walk you through the process. The shooting season for the Northern regions will really start in a few weeks. Jump in but let me warn you that it is very addictive.

Welcome to the world of Registered ATA shooting an experience you will never forget.

Don

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Just get a copy of the rule book from the above mentioned sight. It will give you all the info you need to start out in the right direction. You can print it out or order a copy from the ATA, your local club should also have copies.

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

It helps to go with someone who has done it before, but it is not a requirement. Just pick out the first friendly person working the shoot and latch on to them till you have it figured out. At your typical local shoot of regular importance, you will probably be classified B class (sometimes A class) and 21 yards (edit: oops. 20 yards). In other words, if you are not a known hot shot, there won't be any penalty classification or yardage.

And the fact that you are interested means YOU ARE READY to do it. No point in putting it off. Show up, sign up, and shoot! If you are anywhere close to a 90% average in singles, start registering. You will find that the process of competing will help you improve faster than just shooting a few rounds with your freinds.

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Allan - go to the first registered event/shoot in your area and first join the ATA then sign up to shoot. You should be put into the "D" class of shooters for the 16yd events and should be placed on the 20yd line for handicap if you register to shoot that as well. Doubles you will, well I cant answer that one.

Register and begin shooting registered targets. It aint all that hard and it can be allot of fun. Just because you think your not good enough or you dont know what your doing at a registered shoot is not a reason to not shoot an event. Anyone at the registration table and any shooter there should be more than happy to help you. Also ask some of the shooters you currently shoot with what the whole process is at a registered event. They will be able to tell you as well and it aint really all that different than shooting on Tuesday or Sunday for you.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The first thing you will need to do is join the ATA. They will help you do this at the first shoot you attend. Current membership dues are $20 per year for adults, $12 per year for juniors (17 & under), or $500 for a lifetime membership. The ATA is now a 501-C3 organization so dues are tax deductible. The membership year runs through October 31.

Next you will sign up for the events you want to shoot. There will be a $2 per day fee charged for the ATA, a fee for the State association, either a daily fee or a per target fee. For example Idaho charges $1 per hundred, while Utah charges $5 per day (I think - I may be wrong there). There will be a charge by the club for targets, and trophies if any. Finally there will be options one can play. I'd suggest that a new shooter pass on those until s/he learns a little more and can make an intelligent decision about them.

All of these will be listed/explained in a program, available from shoot management. The actual events will be chosen among three types - singles shot from 16 yards, handicap shot from 19 yards on back to 27 yards, and doubles shot from 16 yards. For singles and doubles you will be placed in a class. Depending on the number of shooters expected, there can be anywhere from three to six classes. Quite often a new shooter (one with no previous history) will be placed in class B. Sometimes the person doing the classifying will ask the new shooter about his/her ability in order to get a fair placement. For handicap, UNLESS THE SHOOT PROGRAM STATES OTHERWISE, a new adult male shooter will start at 20 yards. A new female shooter and subjunior males will start at 19 yards. If the shoot program does provide for penalty yardage (and ONLY then), you may have to start further back than 20 yards. Usually only big shoots do this.

Usually shoot management will be more than happy to find an experienced shooter to explain things to you and help show you the ropes. Don't be afraid to ask. After all, most of them will want you to have a good experience and become a repeat customer. Also don't worry about embarrassing yourself with your scores. We all had to start somewhere, and most of us didn't do all that well when we started. My first shoot, many years ago, saw me shoot low 80s in the singles, low 60s in the handicap, and low 50s in the doubles.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

FYI ... the rule book states that a new shooter starts in "D" class but it is up to the classifier to screw the new shooter anyway they desire.

Allan ... as a new shooter tell the classifier that your a new shooter and tell them about what your currently shooting. If the classifer decides to put you into a class that is closer to what your saying your shooting that is up to him/her but the rule book does say you should start in "D" class for 16yd and at the 20yd line for handicap but then it is all up to the classifier as to where exactly your put.

As in real life at the club you must be careful with some information your given because it can be misleading. No matter what though get out there and shoot and have a good time while doing it. Try and not let yourself get intimidated by anything or anyone and when just starting out dont even bother with any of the lewis class crap, it will be just money thrown away.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I still feel like everyone is complicating the answer to the basic question(s). NO, Allan, your "practice" shooting at clubs are not registered targets. Then you say " I see that almost every tournament requires you to have at least XXX amount of registered targets shot." That's really not true unless you only see programs for large and prestigious shoots. In fact there are numerous weekend or one day shoots around the country where no requirement for previously registered birds is required.

Starting is simple: First go to a shoot, you will need to join the ATA, and then select the events you want to participate in - you don't have to shoot the whole program. You will be assigned your singles and doubles classes and beginning yardage which can be based on your "known ability." Get your gear ready and show up for your squad to shoot.

It would be best if you can chum up with one of the folks you may shoot practice around for assistance if he/she is shooting registered targets. That person can assist you through a shoot or two and you'll get the routine quickly. Knowing where you are just might find your helpful buddy right on this forum. Welcome to the best darned society in the country....Bob Dodd

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Bob - you are correct that some of us complicated the answer and we all should thank you for simplifying it for him but you forgot one thing like the rest of us did as well.

We all forgot the special outfit he needs to where for the ATA initiation but dont worry Allan, everyone will know what the pink shirt means when you wear it.

12. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Guys thanks for all the info. I live in Maryland and am already reagistered with the ATA, they have my handicap at 20 yds. Guess I'll take a look at the ATA website and find out where there are registered shoots. Right now I need to get more consistent. I am breaking anywhere from 16-23 targets, so consistency is my thing right now. I definitely know that this can get addicting. In a little over a month I've shot 34 rounds so far. Again, thanks for all the help.

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

If you are close ...

Carney Rod & Gun this weekend.

You can also check out http://www.mdtrapshooting.com for all information on shoots in Maryland.

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Mr. Newbius, I'll send you $5 if you can tell me exactly where in the ATA Rule Book it states that a new shooter starts in D class. Of course I'll expect you to send me $5 if you can't give such a citation. Just to make it easier for you to look, I've provided an link to the 2008 Rule Book above.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pocatello, Neil makes bets as small as a nickel for surefire wins? :) Hap

16. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I stand corrected, depending on the classifier they can screw the new shooter all they want and put them into whatever class they desire.

Allan - do not let this deter you from shooting but the ATA once again has shown that they really do not actually have set rules on certain things. No matter what though be honest with the classifier and if your honestly averaging right now within a certain class let them know so they will hopefully put you in the class you deserve to be in instead of where they want to put you.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Newbius; Don't you have somebody else you can go and contaminate. You just can't give an answer, no you have add your smart(meaning dumb) mouth to it. Why don't you just keep your snide remarks about the ATA and the classifier to yourself, it is just BS anyway.

Alan: The ATA does have set rules and become aquainted with them, it will make your life easier.

Don

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Don ... please show the set rule in reference as to where a new shooter will exactly be placed.

As always thank you for your opinions and comments, they are always welcome and thought provoking.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

One last thought, Allan, go to shoots, watch the action, start participating now - it will do you no harm to begin the process while still learning (I'm pushing 35 years and still learning for example). If you start piling up some scores you may not be too proud of, it will only let you eventually be assigned lower classes and shorter yardage so you can enjoy winning a little along the learning process. Plus, shooting in events is by far the best practice you can afford yourself.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Bob - couldn't agree anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.