1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Ammo - Super Target, Gun Clubs, Top Guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

For new ammo, not saving or selling empties, which do you prefer, Super Targets, Gun Clubs, Top Guns, Estates? Why?

2. miner1

miner1 Member

Federal papers, but I have more brains than money right now. (and not much of the former) Some day it will be the other way around and I'll shoot papers for everything and throw the empties on the ground!

They are hard to find and at least a couple of bucks per box more than other shells.

Miner1

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm having good luck with the TopGuns and Estate. I don't have data in chart form to prove this but the Gun Clubs don't perform as well for me and I think the WW super target shells are junk. JMHO.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Budget Shells - Gun Clubs. Cleanest burning in my gun, appears to have the best components of all readily available budget shells, consistent quality. PLUS...your fellow shooters will love you for your empties.

Premium Shells - STS/Nitros. Is there really anything else? Fed Papers are very nice but I can never find them in my neck of the woods.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Federal papers almost always makes you the highest scorer on your squad. The secret behind this is to eject them into your hand, smell them, then drop on the ground and crush it with your foot. Your squad mates will go nuts watching you do that.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My experience only-- Gun Clubs, because my gun seems to like them & I also reload,-- Feds. Top Gun--Wally worlds-- Estates, are equal with G.C.s for shooting so whichever I can get the best price on. Feds. are also reloadable but only 1 or 2 times vs. 6 0r 8 for G.C.s. I just don't buy Win. anymore since they cheapened them up so much. Ross Puls

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've had good results from all of them.

8. Barry C. Roach

Also all three are USA Made

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Federal top gun or estate are the most consistent of the economy shells. The Rem. Gun clubs are best for reloading. Just my experience. Clyde Doll

10. Barry C. Roach

What Clyde said..........also USA Made.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

mrskeet410, The ESTATES have the highest antimony of all the shells you listed at 5 percent while all the others you listed are at 3 percent antimony. Its the shot that breaks the target. Use the most Antimony you can get right!!! Kemans are also 5 percent as well. They are assembled in the US, but I believe all the comonents are still from Spain. Break-em all. Jeff

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Estate or Top Gun are a better shell, in my opinion, and the Gun Club is a better hull, but the primers are hard in the 20s, and I don't think they pattern nearly as well as the estate or TG (no empirical data, just grading target breaks after shooting many flats of each over the past 5 years or so). I would never shoot Gun Clubs for competition (I shoot factory Gun Clubs in practice, then reload them for registered), but have shot top guns and estates in the 20 plenty for registered, and would again if I could get them for the same price or cheaper than my handloads (which is getting pretty close when you factor in the cost of the hull). Recoil is softest on the top gun/estates. The only reason I buy the gun clubs is b/c I can get them cheaper on sale from Dick's than I can get anything else.

If they were equal price, and equal availability, I'd buy the Top Guns/Estates.

13. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Anything but Gun Clubs. I haven't tried them in my new K-80 and never will. Feds, Super Target and Estates are all good in my book, for what it is worth. Good luck, Al Baker

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What Rick Barker says make sense for me, and my purposes.

15. oglejust

oglejust TS Member

if i wasnt gonna pick them up id just go with the cheap federals from walmart. altho i reload those on occasion too.

16. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

New Ammo - Remington Gun Clubs (GC). They work well, and I can get five to six reloads out of them. Reloading data for GC is the same for Remington STS.

New Ammo Premium - Remington STS. An excellent shotshell.

As a consumer, I want the biggest bang for my buck. If the price is right, I will buy it.

Dave

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I like the gun clubs and the Wal-Mart Federals. I think the winchesters are dirty and kick more. Just my opinion. Jack

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shot many of all of those mentioned ... I do not reload or save the hulls and usually buy what ever is on sale at the time ... If its a bigger shoot that really matters, I'd opt for the Remington Nitro's 7 1/2s for caps and 8's for singles if I was going to shoot singles which I usually don't but probably should ... I like the Gun Clubs, cheapie Federals, and Estates in that order for just playing around and shooting a few rounds just for kicks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunclubs vs top gun shells

trapshooters top guns or gun clubs