1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Alliant Powder??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Looking through the on-line Alliant Powder reloaders guide, I came across a load for 7/8 oz, in a Federal shell, that called for Extra-Lite powder. Could not find any reference to Extra-Lite anywhere else on the website. Anyone know if this is a new powder?? I e-mailed Alliant, but of course, they haven't responded as yet.

Thanks,

Tomas

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center><a href=http://www.alliantpowder.com/whats_new/press_releases.aspx><I>Alliant News Releases</I></a></center>

Doesn't say much, though...

MK

3. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

There was an article on it in Shotgun Sports. Its almost as quick as Bullseye and designed for slow, light 12 gauge target loads. Bruce

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Sounds like Alliant's version of Winchester AA Lite. Velocity will probably be in the low 1100's.

5. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Looks just like E3. 15.5 grains to move 7/8 oz 1200 FPS. Looks like good stuff.

6. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

I have been using it since September 1st when I first picked some up and ran the loads through my Pro-Chrono.

It was very very impressive. I built up some 7/8 oz loads using AA hulls and Claybuster grey wads, clear Dusters, and Downrange XXL pink..all with Noble Sport primers.

The Standard Deviation with all of these loads was amazing. With Claybuster the SD was 6.14. Clear Duster produced SD of 9.35. And XXL recorded 10.4.

Never seen a powder do that over three different wads.

And all of the test shells were run through my MEC and not hand measured! It meters very consistently with every stroke of the MEC.

Birds broke with authority when I didn't screw up.

I'm a buyer.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have also been using the powder for a while. I originally bought it because a magazine article said it was bulkier than traditional powders so it would "fill" the shell when using slow, light loads. In that respect, I'm disappointed. Extra-Lite is only slightly more bulky than other fast powders.

Using STS hulls and TGT-12 wads, it takes 17gr to take up enough space to avoid dished crimps with 7/8 oz of shot. That pushes the shot to 1300fps. If you are looking for a slower load, you'll get dished crimps unless you adjust your press settings. I had hoped to be able to use the TGT-12 wad for both 7/8 and 1 oz loads, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

That being said, Extra-Lit is a very fast, very clean burning powder. Powder drops are very consistent. So are the results. I'll be using the rest of mine up for 7/8oz loads at 1250fps. For that load, Extra-Lite's higher pressure gives a cleaner burn than e3.

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

You'd think with shot prices going up these bunker loads would save you money. But not at my club. They charge more to shoot a round of bunker. Of course many have said using 7/8's at the 16 yd line works fine. Jim

9. moman3

moman3 Active Member

Covington Washington (South Seattle area)
    CS555, - those are pretty impressive SD numbers, - I'm intrigued...

Q: Have you (or anyone else) happen to check such SD's with the same components in the Gun Clubs hulls ?

MM3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.