1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New ADA guidlines include Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPRINTBENDER, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

One of my Facebook friends posted a link to this and it has new ADA regulations specific to Shooting Ranges. Here is an excerpt from the link . I pasted the link in the website URL above.

243 Shooting Facilities with Firing Positions

Sections 243 and 1010 of the 2010 Standards require an accessible turning space for each different type of firing position at a shooting facility if designed and constructed on a site. Where firing positions are provided in clusters, five percent (5%), but at least one position of each type in each cluster must be accessible.

Just think what this would cost all the Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clay Ranges across the country to implement this.

Vern

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Probably not much. Private clubs are not subject to ADA, and I believe most clubs would be considered private, in that they require you to be a member or a member's guest to shoot.

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Skeetman:

Not sure, but there is a very good chance most clubs would not qualify as private for these purposes, unless they really restrict it to members and guests; which is rarely true. Registered shoots, leagues, and just letting people pay a "guest fee" likely won't cut it.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

870 you are probably right, when some bureaucracy get a little power they get more power hungry

I have a buddy who's business was growing and he out grew the building he was renting, so he rented a huge building, but before he did he made sure it was ADA equipped, he thought, when the city came out to issue his certificate of occupancy the found the ramp to the front door was 3/4 of an inch too narrow, they made him fix it before they would give him the permit, it ended up costing him about $40,000 total,(or more counting all the rent he had to pay and not be able to move) $22,000 to tear out the old concrete ramp and install another one and $18,000 for a lawyer to try to let the ramp stay

I'm so glad I got out of business

5. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Skeet man, private clubs are not exempt from ADA. Private business, such as McDonalds or Lowes, or Home Depot or a public or private golf club must comply with ADA. ADA is a federal law and is enforced by the Department of Justice when a complaint is filed by anyone, yes anyone regardless of their physical disability. Many local building authorities require compliance with ADA when plans for almost any type of construction is permitted.

Richard Luckett

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I believe Private Clubs can be exempt if they do not provide "public accommodations". Problem is most private clubs do provide "public accommodations"

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

III-1.6000 Private clubs. The obligations of title III do not apply to any "private club. " An entity is a private club for purposes of the ADA if it is a private club under title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin by public accommodations.

Courts have been most inclined to find private club status in cases where --

1) Members exercise a high degree of control over club operations.

2) The membership selection process is highly selective.

3) Substantial membership fees are charged.

4) The entity is operated on a nonprofit basis.

5) The club was not founded specifically to avoid compliance with Federal civil rights laws.

8. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

So any new facilities would need to have at least (1) turning space (5'x5') per field. Doesn't seem like an issue and many ways to meet that requirement while costing very little.

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Skeetman:

The next sentence of that section you quoted on private clubs continues:

"Facilities of a private club lose their exemption to the extent that they are made available for use by nonmembers as places of public accommodation."

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had a different interpretation... while all five (5) positions on one field might be considered a "cluster", aren't the five (5) positions really five (5) individual positions, as there is a rotation from each one as opposed to a row of single handgun/rifle positions...

I would also believe that walkways would need to be updated and widened to better accommodate the chair shooter... now that said, one modified "field" would be all that is required unless a facility has more than 20 fields (5%) (Sparta, Cardinal, etc...)

If I look at my existing field, I'm envisioning a lot more concrete to make the 16 yard line a combined "16-18" yard line upfront, with wider walks back to 27 and a deep 27/28 yard line...

JMHO...

Jay

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We are presently filling in the spaces between the lanes with concrete on 2 fields. This was primarily a plowing issue for winter.

We have hosted the Paralyzed vets and they love our facility. The fields were satisfactory, and our clubhouse was remodeled with all the ADA bells and whistles a few years ago.

That said, I saw beaurocracy gone mad in Ohio re ADA.

We had state approved plans for a 200,000 square foot store, with a couple small powder rooms included in lower sales areas so the help would not have to march across the store to whiz.

They made the G.C. tear out the walls and make those little johns ADA, in addition to the monster bathrooms that were already at several locations in the store. Mind you, the plans were already approved.

This was the same store where inspectors forced me to find "plenum approved" cable ties.

27 cents apiece plus overnight freight of 30 bucks. Only one supplier in the whole Midwest.

You can't be an inspector in Ohio till you have had your lobotomy.

HM

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

HM inspectors are like that all over the country

As the old sayin goes, "Those who can, do, those who can't do, teach, those who can't teach, inspect"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ada trap shoot regulations

shooting range ada

shooting ranges and ada laws