1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Active shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shot Actives for as long as I could get them. When I heard they may quit making them I bought 20 flats of Lights and 10 of 3 dram. Today I decided to cut open some of them with my fantastic Gary Bulley UNLOADER. The Lights have 16 grains of green dot with a active wad. The 3 dram loads have 20.5 green dot.
    Just thought some of you old timers who loved the Actives like I did would find this interesting ( NO, THE ONES I HAVE LEFT ARE NOT SOR SALE )

2. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

activ shells were made in west virginia

3. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Hey Cuban

Are they the complete plastic hull or the ones with the brass bottoms. I have about 1800 hulls of the all plastic type. One of the guys I shoot had a case of active wads that he gave me and every now and then I load some up. The younger shooters get a kick out of them. I an old hercules loading manual that has active loads in it. I have to look and see what they have for green dot loads.

George Ware

4. cubancigar2000

These I have are the old red all plastic & load like butter flowing

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I don't mean to nitpick but "all plastic" Activ hulls have a flat metal disk buried in the head. It looks something like a coin (except very thin) with a primer sized hold in the middle.

The disk isn't visible but its what holds the primer in place.

sissy

6. cubancigar2000

7. DanLee

DanLee Member

I still have a bunch of Activ hulls, both fired and factory primed. Dunno if any of you have had the experience of them separating about 1" above the base after 6 or 7 reloads. I attribute it to the Activ wads, which seem to be made of a stickier plastic than other wads. I dust the wads with motor mica now and haven't had a problem.

8. cubancigar2000

Danlee - I never used active wads, always windjammers or federal

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have 6,000 once fired Activs that I load with Green dot in 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce with Green Dot. I use 12SO and 12S3 and also the original Activ wads. Pretty shells when run thru a PW800B~~~Rick ~~~Texas

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Shot well the first time but when reloaded, using Activ wads and their own data, quite a few split right from the primer pocket out to the rim. Quite a thrill in a breakopen gun having a little "whoosh" of gas go up your forehead. When my last case was gone, I tossed them in the burner.

11. shaner

shaner Member

i loved the activ ultralights wow what a fantastic shell they were cheap nd worked great, i reloaded the empties and had a tob of reloading componets finally used them all up , the old tg-30 red wad and green dot

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

DanLee and All:

In about 1986 new (not loaded and never fired) Activ hulls could be bought as a component. As I recall, they could be had factory primed or not. I bought 2500 of them unprimed.

I had several separate on firing. The bottom one inch or so remained in the chamber. The rest went out the muzzle - presumably like a slug. I always knew when it happened because I heard a distinct whistle.

I loaded and shot them in batches of 500. I used Winchester WAA wads. Some hulls failed on the second reload. Most on the third. I never loaded one a fourth time.

I shot them in a Citori but after the second incident of separation, I wouldn't have considered putting one in a pump or semi-auto. I declared them unsafe and burned 1500 without opening the bags they came in.

Shortly thereafter, Activ came out with a new and improved hull. One could tell one from the other by the size of the lettering in the plastic head. Either the original had small lettering and the new improved larger lettering or it may have been the other way round.

The new version is as good as any hull but I'd be very careful about loading and shooting older Activ hulls unless I knew for sure they were the new version.

sissy

13. cubancigar2000

I shot a zillion of them and yes I had a few seperate from the base like you say but I loaded them very heavy. Federal Paper shells do the same thing

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Didn't they stop in Puerto Rico for a few years on the way to Argentina? I seem to remember they got some serious tax incentives and credits for moving there.

15. shaner

shaner Member

i know i bought some activ slugs a few years back they were marked made in spain

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

In still have 600-700 red and orange 12 ga hulls and 2 or 3 thousand red Target 30 wads. I never had any luck using any other wads. Got "bloopers" and crappy breaks so I gave up on experimenting with other wads. Living in Virginia, the factory was close by and offered great service. I came across some white tgt 30 wads once but they performed poorly and may have been mislabeled. I only loaded 1 oz but they have plenty capacity.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have had a few separate as described all in cold weather. I now only load them only in the warmer months and toss them after 5 reloads in new hulls. Switch to STS hulls in the winter. The Activ wads did seem to contribute to the separation problem.

18. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I have several different kinds of active wads that I would like to get rid of or trade.

lee

19. vatrap

vatrap Member

Any of you that have TG-30 wads or 20 gauge new or once fired hulls for sale, please contact me. My 366 loves them. Since I live in VA they were easy to get and I must have 10,000 once fired hulls in the garage.

Thanks,

Mike

20. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Shaner, you made me think...I still have a five pack of Activ 1 1/4 oz. slugs in the cabinet..Marked made in Kearneysville, West Virginia. Haven't shot one in probably fifteen years or more.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.