1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new aa

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I'm reloading silver aa the new ones. I can get most to load just fine .Some of them come out with a line about 3/4 of an inch up from the brass . Are they okay to shoot .I have moved the crip up this help a lot .Just want to be safe.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If that 'line' looks like a bulge then you have a cocked wad. The new Winchester wads are made for these new AA hulls and have a smaller diameter over powder cup and 4 vertical grooves in the plastic to allow air to escape when seating the over powder wad onto the base wad. Raise the wad ram on your loader so you don't get too much pressure. If that 'line' doesn't look like a bulge then you should be OK. Cut one open to see if the wad is in fact cocked or mis-shapen. Don't use wads designed for straight wall hulls.

3. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Mike the line is smooth you can just fell it with your finger nail. I have a few with a little more of bulge it is the same all the way around the hull.Should i cut them a part

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

You wouldn't by chance be using a Lee Load-All would you?

I used to get that band around the shell on every AA I ever loaded on one of those but it never seemed to hurt performance. It's just where the sleeve stops on the final crimp station.

Morgan

5. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Capt im working with a mec

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Cut open one of the worst ones and have a look. A shell with a cocked wad might produce a weak sound but shouldn't hurt anything (it might not break a target). What kind of loader and what kind of wads are you using ?? A line like a groove mark on the outside of the hull is not a problem.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Saw a new gray/silver AA break off at the top of the base wad last night. flew down the barrel and jammed up in the choke - broke clean off. Took some real effort to get that sucker out of the choke tube.

Jay

8. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

mec loader and fig 8 wads claybusters

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

most guys at our club reload AAs HS silver new style hulls. All have this problem some worse than others EXCEPT ONE GUY he is useing the winchester Wads. There is a secoundary cup in the hull. wads will hang up on it.

10. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Try backing off the final crimp station that puts the nice looking roll on the edge of the shell.What happens is that the die pushes down on the hull to form the roll that makes it look like a factory shell. That compresses the hull and it folds right at the top of the internal basewad. The bulkier the powder plus a 1 1/8 oz shot charge will cause it the most. A tapered hull can withstand the force of shoving the die down to make that roll or taper as some call it. A straight wall hull can't take it and something gives. Hense you have the fold at the top of the basewad.Gold Medals buckle anywhere on the case. I guarantee that if you know how to setup your last die you will still have a good looking shell and not have the fold. Throw away the hulls that are folded as they might seperate there and you could be shooting a West Virginia Slug.I'm surprised Mec don't tell you this.

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Win.AA's all have a 2 piece base wad.

If reloaded too many times the base wad will separate and rise 1/8" or more from the base.

This seems to be a problem specific to P-W machines because of the way the primer is inserted; the hull is supported only by the outer edge of its base while it's pushed down onto the primer. If the primer fit is still snug it CAN lift the base wad because there's nothing to hold it down.

Loaders that push the hull down onto a waiting primer with a ram inside the hull that bears on the base wad don't seem to cause this problem with the base wad lifting.

Morgan

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Mike or anybody else if you know, do the "new" AA wads work ok in the old AA hulls? How about any of the clone wads, are any of them suitable for the new AA shells?

13. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I,m loading 1 1/8 once and 18.2 gains of clays.

14. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

24 that is what im talking about.

15. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I use both a Mec Grabber and PW800b and I have no problems because I know how to set up my machines. ps, When the new AA hull is shot several times the tube weakens and gets thinner in the problem area. Then you REALLY have to back off the rollover on the end of the shell to keep from folding the hull at the top of the base wad with a Mec. Also if you don't have at least 1/2" between the top of your shot and the end of the hull you will get the crush. 9/16" is better. Think of it like shoving 10# of manure in a 8# bag. Hope this helps.

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I posted this in another thread and I think it's also relevant to this problem:

"I once cut a couple new AA 1 1/8, 2 3/4 dram shells open to see what was going on inside and I found that the powder in the new shells is both fine-grained and well compressed by the wad. The OEM powder charge weighed right on 16.2 grains and occupied 1.8 ml (cc), correctly settled in a graduated cylinder of appropriate size. The same weight of Clays, for example, occupied 2.2 ml (cc) in the same cylinder. Given the larger volume of powder and the fact that the petals of the OEM wad were already right up to the crimp (as was the shot) with the factory powder, it makes sense that it would require more pressure to seal the hull and that would tend to buckle the side walls."

Morgan

17. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

The only problem I have found with the new AA is case buckling above the brass actually they buckle just above the internal powder cup. As noted this seems to be the result of a tipped or not fully seated wad. I cut a number of hulls opened and found that the Remington Figure 8 wad fit inside the powder cup the best. With the Remington wad seated deep and the crimp depth at a reasonable amount, I have loaded 1000s of these with 700X on a MEC and PW press without problem.

Regards Scott

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The solution to the new style (now several years old) AA hulls has been presented many times. First, do not put much wad pressure when seating the wad. Next, raise slightly the crimp starter and the final crimp dies. Use a AA wad or a clone of a AA wad that has the small grooves in the base.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.