1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New AA vs STS Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Which do you prefer? I have been reloading AAs for awhile. They seem to hold up pretty well. Any reason to switch to STS hulls?

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I like to load STS cases because my loader is set up to do them. I have 2 garbage bags full of AA cases I would love to trade someone for some STS cases.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

myevh3- I have been loading AA exclusively since about 1965 and I have not found a reason to change. Today, the STS hulls are probably more popular but things change. I will not change because I have so many AA hulls. I also shoot a lot of new Winchester AA shells.

Pat Ireland

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Remington.

Loaded the Premier and the old AA with the same recipe. When Winchester went to the 2-piece and Remington stayed with one-piece technology in the STS/Nitro, I stayed with that... an "older" dog...

regards all,

Jay

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Functionally, the AA & STS hulls can be loaded with the same recipes for either hull.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Marlon, Who told you that? Not entirely true. Example, out of the Alliant reloading manual:

AA hull. Rem F-8 wad, Win primer, Max Red Dot 18.5 gr @ 10,700 psi

STS hull, Rem F-8 wad, Win primer, Max Red Dot 19.0 gr @10,400 psi

What pressure would you generate if you used 19.0 Red Dot in the Win AA hull?
    What if you were dropping 19.3 in lieu of 19.0, which is easy to do with Red Dot. It may not be enough pressure to create a dangerous load, but the cases are not functually the same.

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Spitter,

I guess were on the same wave lenth.My feeling's also from being in the "OLDER GROUP".

Sandy

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

AA HS hulls don't last beyond 4 or 5 reloads for me before the shoulders start to split or the primers start to leave black soot rings around my firing pin indicating that the primers pockets are leaking. I use both Federal and Winchester primers in these hulls and they both do the same thing.

I have not trouble with Remington hulls up to 7 reloads (the limit). I don't need trash in my action.

MK

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

myevh3 I load one piece hulls only the STS/Nitro's fit the bill. The present AA hulls are not one piece therefore I will not load them.

If I have a mishap with my reloads I will be positive it won't be because of two piece hulls. It has nothing to do with longevity I only load a hull five time then they are tossed.

Bob Lawless

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Winchester had the best Hull on the market until they switched to the HS hull
    a stupid management call for a negligble savings if any, and dramatic loss of sales, and less shooters in the winners circle.

I don't know if he got fired or not but he should have been fired.

Federal made a mistake when the stopped using the 12C1 wad and was using the Fed Top Gun wad, they wised up and went to the 12S3 wad, they listened to the shooters.

Winchester still has DEAF EARS on the shooters and they MIGRATED AWAY TO REMINGTON STS-NITR-27 shells and hulls.

I sent them WINCHESTER letters and e-mails not even a reply.

They lost their marketing position w/trapshooters.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Gary, trap and skeet loads are a very small part of the total sales of Winchester. They don't care.

A few years ago, I knocked down a mallard while field hunting Geese. It was close to the end of the day. When I went to retrieve the bird, it tried to take off, so I anchored it with aload of 3.5" Winchester T's. I unloaded the gun, picked up the decoys, and went home.

We were going out the next day, but I decided to clean my Super X-2 anyway. When I ran my rod down the barrel, I hit an "bump" that wasn't suppose to be there. It was 1/2 of the hull lodged about 4" beyond the forcing cone. Had a hell've a time getting it out. I often wonder what may have happened had I went out the next day and touched of a load of T's? I took pictures of the whole process, concerned that Winchester may want warn buyers of this potential problem, and sent everything to them, plus the remaining box of shells, after making a phone call to customer service.

Never got a phone call or response! I pushed the issue with Winchester, and they finally admitted they had problems with their Rufenhausen Hull, and no longer used that design for that load. There was no offer to replace my shells, no thank you, no "warn your buddies", or recall. Nothing.

I have not and will not buy a Winchester hunting load ever again.

12. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

Dr longshot is right on winchester shells suck new or reloaded unless you have the old hulls if you reload use sts or fed, paper with about 17.4 red dot will crush singles targets. geo 3

13. Stretch43

Stretch43 TS Member

I agree!! I wont even pick up a new AA. I have had 4 of them come apart in 1 year of shooting. They all broke at the same place. 3 of them cleared the barrel but the 4th one was stuck in the barrel. It took 15 minutes to get it removed from my barrel. I was fortunate because i use an O/Uand was able to see the piece in the barrel. It would have been a serious problem if i had been using an Automatic or Pump gun. I play it safe now and have thrown out all the new AA's. I load Federal or Remington or old style AA's only.

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I wish everyone would load the AA's and leave the STS's for me.

Hauxfan!

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I wish everyone would load the STS's and leave the AA's for me.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Winchester's customer service or lack thereof is not limited to shotshells. A few years ago, I bought two bags of new Winchester brass - one bag of 100 for my son's 7mm STW and a bag of 100 for my daughter's .243.

The necks on the STW brass were cut at an angle and I couldn't trim them true because the cases already were no less than .032" shorter than the trim-to length for that cartridge. I emailed Winchester about it but heard nothing. I called and left a message but never received a return call. I finally sent a letter and received one back asking for the brass. I sent it to them and received 100 more pieces WITH THE EXACT SAME DEFECTS. You'd think someone would have wanted to make sure the new stuff was okay.

I wrote back again and was told to return that box, which I did. A while later, I received a check for $33 and a letter saying that Winchester no longer offers brass or loaded ammo in that caliber.

The .243 brass was all WAY too long and the primer pockets were very shallow. Even using my RCBS power case trimmer and power case conditioner's primer pocket reamer, I spent most of an afternoon conditioning 100 pieces of new brass.

I now refuse to buy anything bearing the name "Winchester!"

Ed

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- If you would start shooting registered again, I would buy you a Winchester hat. You would look really cute wearing it.

Pat Ireland

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Old style AA's, Premiers, STS's, Nitros is all I reload. I have ran off some Gun Clubs with good results but really don't have a need for them, have a lifetime of hulls. I refuse to make any adjustments of any kind to any of my machine(s) to use the new "AA's". They buckle, they're sh!^ shells. I've seen guys chamber these buckled shells, they may go off but I not interested in this quality of reload. Shot skeet with a guy yesterday that had that going on with his shells. But, if you can get the new style to run o.k. for you than stick with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
old style remington premier hulls
remington sts hulls compared to winchester aa hulls
remington sts hulls vs winchester aa

remington sts vs winchester aa

sts hulls
sts vs aa
sts vs aa shotgun shells

winchester aa vs remington sts